First Day of School

What Makes a Rock Star

 

“That’s just for two days. I’ll send someone to take your measurement so they can tailor you a school uniform. Anything else?”

 

“Yes. If you have classes and I have errands to do, I demand that you let me leave. I promise to come back. Don’t worry, I stick to my words.”

 

She gave me a long looked. For the first time it’s not a mocking or a teasing or an irritated one. For the first time today, she smiled at me. “If that’s what you wish.”


 

What Makes a Rock Star


 

Chapter 5

(First Day of School)


 

“Tsk.”

 

This is taking too long.

 

“Tsk.”

 

My eyebrow furrows on its own as I tapped my feet continuously against the marble floor.

 

“Tsk.”

 

I looked at the driver who’s patiently waiting, reading a newspaper at the driver’s seat.

 

At least he had something to do while I’m stuck here waiting for the brat to finish whatever she iwas doing! She had the guts to wake me up early yet she’s the one who’s late!

 

“Tsk. Tsk. Tsk.”

 

The driver eyed me curiously. “Young master.” The driver said and saw him looking at me. Young master? Me? Woah. I like the sound of that.

 

“Yeah?”

 

“I think you should check on her, she probably fell asleep again.”  He said and chuckled to himself.

 

“Really? If she’s asleep, maybe I should go to sleep too.” I beamed happily.

 

Just when I thought my day got a little bit better, the brat walked out of the door. She’s wearing a school uniform, a red headband was on her hair which, I admit, looked nice on her. She’s carrying maybe three or four books on her petite arm.  Her pink backpack dangling at her left shoulder while she’s holding a seemingly empty paper bag with her left hand.  Hmmm. Not bad. For such a bratty girl, she seemed like a serious student.

 

“You’re not going anywhere.” She said, glaring at me.

 

Tsst.

 

Brat.

 

She walked pass me. She smiled politely to the driver who opened the door for her and went inside the car. She rolled the window and looked at me expectantly.

 

If there is something that pisses me off the most, I say it’s waiting.

 

“What took you so long?” I asked, not having any plan to enter the car without hearing her explanation. 

 

“Doesn’t matter. I’m here now. Let’s go.” She said, totally ignoring the daggers my eyes were shooting at her and coldy looked ahead as the glass of the window went-up.

 

I rolled my eyes in irritation. This girl is really trying my patience!

 

I pulled the handle harshly and found that it’s lock. I knocked at the window but she didn’t budge.

 

“Hey brat! Open the door!” I impatiently knocked the window glass harder. Don’t tell me she’s not planning to take me to her school with her! I swear.  I’m not going to follow her. Not in a million years!

 

The window of the car rolled down. She looked at me with a bored expression. “It’s open now. Go inside.”

 

The corner of my mouth twitched in annoyance. What a pain in the !

 

I tried to open the door again. “It’s not open!”

 

“Who told you to use the door? I said the window is open.”

 

“You want me to use the window?” I asked in disbelief.

 

“Yes.”

 

“Did you forget that my head was injured?”

 

“No.”

 

Jinjja! This girl is taking every inch of my patience!

 

“You’re not going to let me in? Fine! Go alone! I’m staying here. Or better, I’ll get my own car so I won’t need to bear spending a ride with you!”

 

“We have a contract.”

 

“And so?”

 

“I want you to go to school with me. If you don’t go, then the contract will be breached. I’ll sue you.” She said it's the most natural thing to say in the world.

 

I blinked twice. Then thrice.

 

“Aish!”

 

“No cursing.” Said the driver while eyeing me disapprovingly.

 

I rolled my eyes. “Whatever.” I looked at the brat. She really enjoys my agony. “Scoot or I swear my shoes will land on your mouth.”

 

"Loser." She said before scooting.

 

Once I got to my seat, I turned my back on her. She did the same. I can see the driver chuckling silently at us in the rear view mirror.

 

“What are you laughing at?”

 

“Nothing, young master. You two are just too cute.” He said and smiled at us.

 

We looked at each other in sync.

 

I faked gagged. Jessica stomped at my foot and glared at me, annoyed.

 

“Ouch! What was that for?!”

 

“You’re annoying. Shut up will you?”

 

“Shut up will you?” I mimicked her.

 

“I said shut up!”

 

“I said shut up!”

 

“Don’t copy me!”

 

“Don’t copy me!”

 

“You’re copying me!”

 

“You’re copying me!”

 

“Aish!”

 

“Ai…” I was to copy her again.

 

“No cursing. We’re near the school now. Stop it, you two.” The driver eyed us disapprovingly from the front seat.

 

And that was all it took for us to stop bickering.

 

---

 

The rest of the ride was quiet, fortunately.

 

I have to say that I was impressed when I see the car stopped in front of Hanyoung Foreign Language High School

 

NlTh5HvscBsW_zWtsvVrsdmONDAO16cQakJzG16RsHwRMh2vWNZxYFE9bE2PUaGqW5uu3qLBsb11fSIiVMDR1FQHpdDcalTxwTA7JAUz8d8esDAS18PUsoegGUoMvzC-5ItFIN0T

 

I realized how rich this girl’s family is. Not only was the school very prestigious but it got some standards too. 

 

We walked out of the car and I followed behind her. It was odd because almost all of the students that see us are giving us, specifically me, either a worried expression or an envious expression. Some even mocked me along the way, only to receive a cold stare from both Jessica and me.

 

“They’re probably thinking you’re my slave.” She said when we got inside the building.

 

“Tsch. Why would they think that?” I asked cockily. Kwon Yuri? A slave? Impossible.

 

She looked back at me. “Seriously? I think you forgot what you look like right now.” She said.

 

I raised my eyebrow at her. When my gaze averted to the mirror behind her, I realized what she’s talking about.

 

I groaned in frustration. She rolled her eyes and shrugged her shoulders dismissively before continuing walking.

 

“You seriously need to change your mind about the nerd thingy. I look awful in this!” I complained as I followed behind her.

 

“You wish.” She said plainly and continued walking until we got in front of the lockers.

 

“Hi Jessica! How are things going? You thought about my offer?” Said a blonde guy who suddenly appeared from behind us. How come I never noticed him? He put his arms around Jessica’s shoulder while eyeing me from head to toe. I didn’t have idea who the guy was to Jessica but I had a feeling that I would never get to like him.

 

Jessica turned her head to the guy not bothering to take his hands off her. Their faces were oly inches away from each other and the scene was making me boil inside.

 

All my irritation disappeared when I heard Jessica’s usual cold voice. “Answer is no, Onew. Actually, make that… NEVER.” She said stoically to the guy then picked the guys hands off her shoulder like it’s really filthy. I smirked at him. He glared at me then turned his attention back to Jessica who’s now in the process of opening her locker.

 

As soon as the locker opened, loads of letters dropped from it. She sighed tiredly and picked them up; putting them in the empty paperback she was holding before.

 

So that was the bag for.

 

Instead of helping Jessica pick up the letters, he just leaned at the lockers. “Come on, Jess. We both know that in the end it’s going to be you and me. Why not start it now?” He said and started grinning.

 

Jessica looked up at him with an indifferent expression. “Mind taking your shoes off the letter?” Ignoring his question while pointing at the letter stuck at his foot.

 

He rolled his eyes and raised his foot. Jessica picked the letter up and brushed it against the hem of her skirt before putting it in the bag too.

 

I raised my eyebrow curiously when I noticed how impatient the way he was looking at her is.

 

He saw me looking at him and gave me a menacing smirk.

 

Yeah. I officially hate this guy's gut.

 

Just at that moment, Jessica stood up. Onew eyed me cockily before swiftly pushing Jessica against the lockers and to both Jessica and my surprise, he kissed her harshly on the lips. Jessica’s eyes were wide open as she tried to push him off her.

 

I stood there, dumbfounded by what I was seeing. On an impulse I pulled him off Jessica and pushed him hard. He landed on the floor with a thud. Jessica gasped, as well as the other student bystanders.

 

“What the! What the hell is wrong with this guy?” Onew said as he gathers himself up ready to pounce back at me. Jessica came at my aid, shielding me.

 

“Onew! Stop this! You’re making a scene!” She hissed with a worried expression.

 

“I’m not the one who started it!” He roared as he tried to push Jessica aside.

 

I stood behind, with a lopsided grin. Just try to touch me and I’ll make sure you’ll suffer.

 

“I never knew you’re that weak to be restrained by a girl.” I said to provoke him more.

 

He eyed me with rage. I mentally cursed myself for provoking him because without hesitation, he pushed the girl away, making her lose balance and fall down.

 

“Jessic…” I wasn’t able to finish for his fist found its way to my face making me stumble backwards.

 

I groaned. I was to punch him back but stopped when I heard Jessica.

 

“Stop it you two!” Jessica shouted. “Geez.This is so embarrassing!” She wailed. “If you want to kill each other off, do it. I’m out of here.” She took her things and strode pass us, leaving the paper bag behind. All the students were looking at her.

 

I glared at Onew but decided to make him pay later. I grabbed my bag and Jessica's paper bag and followed the direction Jessica went.

 

I scanned the hall hoping to find the blond. Gee. This is not the way I was expecting my first day in Jesica's  school to be.

 

Because of constantly turning my head from side to side, I bumped into someone causing her things to fly in the air. I mentally kicked myself. Great. Can't I be any luckier today?

 

“I’m sorry miss.” I said as I helped her pick her things up.

 

“Don’t worry about it.” I heard her reply but I didn’t bother looking at her. focused on picking her things up.

 

As soon as I gathered them, I looked up only to see a familiar looking girl. I self-consciously stood up and gave her things. “Here.” I said and averted my gaze. For some reason, she’s making me shy.

 

“Thank you.” She said and smiled at me, almost stunning me in place. She took her things, accidentally brushing her hands on mine.

 

“Y-You’re welcome.” I stuttered. For some reason my tongue was not coordinating with me.

 

“Are you new here?” She asked, cocking her head to the side which made her look really adorable and innocent. I could only nod. “I’m Seohyun. What’s your name?” She asked.

 

“I-I'm Kwon Y-Yuri.”

 

“Pardon? Did you just say your name is Kwon Y-"

 

“Kwon Yujin” Said a cold voice, interrupting her. Standing behind her, I saw Jessica glaring at me.

 

“Oh! Jessica sunbae-nim, goodmorning.” Seohyun said and bowed nervously at Jessica.

 

Jessica gave her a timid nod and looked at me. “Come here Yujin. We need to go to class now.” I pointed at myself, still not getting it. She rolled her eyes. “Yes. You. Come. The principal told me to be your guide, remember.” She said as if saying the obvious.

 

Then another one joined in. “Seo? Our teacher is looking for you.” She is a familiar looking doe eyed girl. She stopped on her track when she saw us. She looked in horror at Jessica and confusedly at us.

 

“Yoong.” Said Seohyun while giving her a reassuring smile. The girl made her way to Seohyun side and grabbed her hand. I couldn’t help but notice that they look alike. “What’s wrong Yoong?” Seohyun asked confusedly. The girl eyed both of us before leaning to Seohyun’s ears. She whispered something. Seohyun’s eyes widened.  I saw her murmuring something back to the girl.

 

Jessica cleared which made both girls look at her. “Pardon us. We need to go now.” Jessica said and swiped the paper bag out of my grip before walking away. I knew she wanted me to follow her.

 

I looked at Seohyun and bowed at her. She smiled at me, her high cheekbone highlighting her beautiful eyes. Dang. She’s really pretty! I saw the girl tugging at Seohyun's hand impatiently. I smiled casually at both of them before going after Jessica.

 

As soon as we’re out of anybody’s earshot Jessica turned to me with an irritated expression. “What the hell is wrong with you? It’s the first day of school and you almost blew you cover! First you punched Onew when you’re supposed to be a weakling nerd then you introduced yourself in your real name! Jinjja! Are you stupid?” 

 

“He kissed you! What am I supposed to do?” I reasoned. “He was harsh! He certainly deserved that.”

 

 “If he deserves that, what do you deserve?” 

 

I stared at her, surprised. Again I was filled with guilt. I smiled bitterly and looked away. “Gee. I almost forgot that. Thanks for reminding me.”

 

As soon as she saw my reaction, her eyes widened and she covered with her hands. “I-I-I… We’re late. Let’s go.” She said with a flustered expression, looking away from me.

 

I knew that there’s nothing she should be sorry about. For from the start it was my fault to put myself in this situation.

 

All I could hope for was to finish the contract and go back to where I belong. Back to another contract. Back to the fast track world of entertainment. Back to the superficial.  Back to the cradle without a door that suffocates me inside.

 

I didn’t say anything after that. Even we walked to class. Even when she introduced me to the class. Even when we ate lunch. And she didn’t bother initiating conversation with me too. Instead, she just gave me concerned glances from time to time.

 

After the class, we went to the mall to buy my things. I let her do all the choosing and quietly followed behind her. After all the necessary things were bought, she made me go back first to the car which I willingly obliged to.

 

“Did the young lady do something bad to you?” Asked the driver.

 

“How did you know?” I said, indirectly confirming his assumption.

 

“Because you’re not talking since you came out of school. Plus, you look sad.”

 

I sighed. ‘If only I could tell you, sir, maybe you won’t even bother worrying about me’ I thought.

 

“You know I was the one who fetched you and the young lady the night of the incident.” He said out of nowhere which instantly caught my attention.

 

“Y-you know about the incident?” I asked. . My reputation is really going down.

 

“Of course. Young lady sneaked to the club and got in trouble. You were there and you are the one who saved her.”

 

I stared at him. “And?”

 

“And what?”

 

“Is that all she said to you?”

 

“Yes. Is there anything I missed?” ‘Believed me, you missed a lot’ I thought. What I’ve done to her is really bad but she made me look like the hero.

 

“Please be patient with the young lady. She’s just too straightforward sometimes. She might be stubborn, cold, demanding and sort of irritating sometimes but when you know her better, you’ll see that she’s a really sweet girl.” He said and smiled at me.  

 

“You don’t get it. She’s not really the problem.” I muttered to myself and shook my head.

 

“Oh. The young Lady is here.” He smiled at me before going out the car and opening the door for Jessica.

 

Jessica sat at the seat next to me. She shoved a box on my lap and gave me a box of takoyaki. I looked at her with an amused yet confused expression. 

 

I opened my mouth to speak.

 

“Don’t speak. Open the box later. Now eat.” She said before taking out her own box of takoyaki and shoving them to while looking outside.

 

I still couldn't understand what was happening but I smiled instantly as I eyed the takoyaki. Takoyaki is my favorite.

 

“Should we go now Miss?” Said the driver while smiled at us thru the rear mirror. Jessica nodded timidly at him before averting her gaze to the window. Then I saw the driver winking at me mischievously and raised his eyebrows twice as if he was pointing to Jessica.

 

I smiled at him then to Jessica even though I knew she couldn’t see me.

 

‘So this is her way of saying sorry.’ I thought as I opened my box excitedly and started eating.

 

---

 

I slumped on my bed letting the paperbags of my new clothes fall on the floor but holding on to the box that Jessica gave me. I sat up the bed and excitedly open the box. A smile formed in my face as soon as I saw what’s inside. 

 

pPtJEHU09xGCFZEe9aYhUpsuXg1nmY4U7x-gbNvK1EH5M3G-a2xX9jwN2_SrEP8yP5YiHPlQ6-Hj_FKYcSeaKBkDVUVokn5WI3gcCwbsLAlHdIdpO3c8HpQIt-5ppBwQP15Gi21s

 

It was a mickey mouse designed mug. Inside there was a note saying 'Jessica is Sorry'

 

That's the time that I thought that maybe, just maybe,  Jessica really was a sweet girl in the end.

 


Meet Im Yoona and Seo Juhyun (Seohyun)

    

 

 

Thank you for reading.

Please do comment.

Thank you for upvoting Fahyukie!