Embarrassing

What Makes a Rock Star

“I was stupid. I didn’t get it before. I’m sorry.” I said.

 

“But y-you didn’t... It wasn’t you’re…” She stuttered but I stopped her by tightening my arms around her.

 

“Ssshh.. Don't worry. I won’t let you feel alone again.” 


 

What Makes a Rock Star


 

Chapter 9

(Embarrassing)


 

I gazed at Jessica’s face as she slept soundly beside me during our ride home. I felt glad that instead of that sorrowful expression she had on before, it was replaced by a serene one, her lips curved into a tiny smile. Merely looking at her like this made me feel at ease.

 

“Young Master.” Said Mr. Jan.

 

“Yes?”

 

“I hope you won’t bring the young Lady to the playground again.” He said, there was protectiveness on his voice. “When the Young Lady called and told me you two we’re on the park, I tried my best to go there as fast as I could. I know you're not aware of this but…” He said but I cut him off.

 

“Don’t worry. I won’t. No need to explain. She told me everything.” I said dismissively, without taking my eyes off the sleeping brat. Just thinking how a pain in the she could be made me shake my head in disbelief. Who would have believed that someone as bratty and as manipulative as her has been through something like that?

 

“I’m glad you do. Years have passed since Madam left but it has affected the young Lady so much, that until now we don’t really think she recovered fully from it. I’ve got to say that she was never the same after that day. She has gotten better now but it’s still not good making her remember that incident.” Mr. Jan said, taking me out of my reverie.

                                                                                   

Jessica was nodding off and I guided her head, making her lean on my shoulder. I tucked her hair behind her ears, careful not to wake her up. ‘How could someone ever leave someone so beautiful?’ I thought and shook my head immediately to shake the thought off. What the hell am I thinking?

 

Mr. Jan spoke and I realized that I said my thoughts out loud. “No one knows. We didn’t really expect it to. It just happened and left us all devastated.”

 

“Tsch. What kind of mother will leave her daughter just like that?” I said in disgust.

 

“Please don’t speak like that, Young Master. Madam is a really good person. If you know her, you will understand me. I’m sure she has a good reason for doing what she did.”

 

“Tsch. Excuses. I hate excuses. If she’s that good, why would she leave her?” I said accusingly. 

 

“In our life, we will come to the point where we would have to decide on something that can change our life forever. We would be given choices that weigh the same; both important for us; both we thought we couldn’t live without. Choose one and leave the other; that would be the only option. Torn between two things we both want but compelled to choose only one. It was hard to let the other go but we need to. That's why we pick and hope that eventually at the end of the day, the one we choose is the one that makes us happy.”

 

I looked at him questioningly.

 

“Whenever I find myself wondering why Madam left the Young Lady and found myself on the verge of loathing her for what she did, I think of that piece of wisdom to remind myself that the day will come that I will come to the point that I will be at the same position as Madam so until the day that I came through the same circumstances as hers, I will have to accept her actions and hope that the choice she take is what truly makes her happy.” He said and smiled at me thoughtfully.

 

“…..I still don’t get it.”

 

He just shook his head, giving a hearty laugh. “Don’t worry, Young Master. One day you will.”

 

---

 

Carrying the sleeping brat on my arms, I asked Jessica's personal maid to accompany me to Jessica’s room and open to the door for us. The maid kept on telling that she's not allowed to let anybody inside Jessica’s room but I insisted. I didn’t want to wake Jessica up.

 

I made my way into her dark room, and asked the maid to open the lights. “Do I really have to?” She asked.

 

I rolled my eyes. “Of course, how am I supposed to find her bed?” She hesitantly nodded and went to open the lights.

 

My eyes almost popped open when I saw what Jessica’s room is from the inside. “Woah.” I couldn’t help to say, my mouth agape. So this is what our fans’ room looks like. A sly smile formed in my face unconsciously while looking at the fan items in Jessica’s room.

 

“Please don’t tell the young lady I let you in here.” The maid pleaded with a worried expression. “She will kill me when she knows." I nodded absentmindedly. I found myself grinning and looked at the girl sleeping in my arms. All this time it never occurred to me that she’s our fan. She certainly didn’t act like one.

 

I made my way to her bed and placed her gently on it. “Take care of her. I’ll go to my room now.” I said to the maid, not forgetting to tuck Jessica in before going out of the room.

 

I made my way downstairs to drink some water. The day was really tiring. Contemplating how far things went from what I was expecting it to be when I left Jessica behind is depressing. I sighed. "Failed again.” I muttered to myself dejectedly. I was in the middle of drinking my second glass of water when a familiar plastic bag popped in the view. “Psssfftt!" *coughs* I took a double take and saw Mr. Jan holding a familiar plastic bag in front of me.

 

I felt blood going its way to my head. I quickly snatched it away from his grip. “How did you get this?!” I asked accusingly, trying to hide the tint of red forming on my cheeks.  Damn. This is so embarrassing.

 

“You left it in the car, Young Master.” He stated calmly. “You bought that for her, right?” 

 

“No. I bought it for myself.” I said trying to sound indifferent.

 

He gave a hearty laugh again. “Sure. Sure.” He said nodding to himself before giving me a knowing smile.  

 

“What?”

 

“Nothing.”

 

I raised my eyebrow. “You peeked on it didn’t you?”

 

He shook his head, trying to look innocent but his creepy smile gave him away.

 

“You peeked!” I complained, almost in a whining manner. Damn. I'm screwed.

 

He just laughed at me. “I like the color.”

 

I raised my eyebrow and peeked inside…. Ruined strawberry cake. All pink. “What? You got a problem with my taste?” I asked defensively. Sheesh. Why does he need to see this?

 

He looked at me with an unconvinced expression. “Just admit that you bought it for the Young Lady.” He said, giving me a playful look. My eyebrow twitched in annoyance. This guy is freaking teasing me at the wrong time!

 

I glared at him. I don’t see anything funny. “And why would I buy something for that crybaby? It’s not like we’re close or something.”

 

“Don’t know,” He said, shrugging his shoulders in a nonchalant manner. “Maybe you want to make it up to her for ruining her birthday, you know?”  

 

I looked away and adamantly put the bag of ruined cake at the counter. I couldn’t even look at it without getting annoyed. My frustration from the previous incident crept into me again. “What’s the point of bringing that now that it’s all ruined?” I muttered silently under my breath.

 

“Okay, Young Master. I know that what happened today was really unexpected for you and that you didn’t mean for things to end up that way so how about you stop being all grumpy and I’ll help you make it up to the Young Lady?” He offered.

 

I crossed my arms. “I have no idea what you’re talking about. Please don’t make conclusions, Mr. Jan.” I said cockily. "And, it's not like you can help me anyway." I added, unable to suppress my disappointment.

 

He laughed. Again. For a reason I don’t know. “Young people these days." He said while shaking his head. I think Jessica’s driver is getting some of her weirdness. "Young Master.” He said, taking my attention again as he crossed his arms. “Want to know what I do before I became the Jung’s driver?”

 

I eyed him expectantly.

 

“Pâtissière.”


 

 


Thank you seohyun10 for the upvote. Thank you all for reading.

Please do comment.