His Other Side

What Makes a Rock Star

Recap: Chapter 20 (The Day After)

Yul spent his morning sniffing Jessica's hair, Jessica woke up, his morning did not end well. Seo prepared lunch for Yul. Jessica 'dropped' her things from her locker. Yul found Sica's picture with Yoona. At lunch Jessica went missing. Yul and Yoona met again and an argument that leads to Yoona revealing someone called Yura occured. Who is Yura? I don't know. Yul found Sica locked in the gym storage room, helped her but ended up with Sica snapping at him. I don't know why.

 

Yes,  after two months I only updated now. First the exams then a writer's block. I'm sincerely sorry for you guys who are waiting for an update. I'm hoping to have the next update done by tomorrow. Please comment guys. It encourages authors to write.

P.S. No offense to those guilty of this. Most authors don't like Please Update comments. Me too. I'm not forcing you to comment but if you do, please comment what you felt about the update or the story or any violent reactions or criticism. That's much better. Love you guys!

 

 


You know what I say you know because I say so.

 

I felt like I was choking by my own voice as I stood there. I wanted to scream but I couldn’t. I wanted to complain but there’s no one to listen. It was frustrating. I held on to my head, feeling like squeezing the hell out of my brain. “You’re the one ing up my business, brat.” I muttered with gritted teeth.  “I promised I’d never let things turn this way. You freaking bent everything away.”


 

What Makes a Rock Star

 

Chapter 21

(His Other Side)


 

“What’s up with you?” Soo asked as he steered the wheel to the left.

 

“Nothing.” I said, massaging my temple, looking outside.

 

‘You’re here to help me win the contest. Only that. Nothing else.’

 

“Nothing.” I said again, more to myself than to Soo.

 

I and Jessica just finished practicing when I received a call from Hyoyeon. Something came up. The CEO wanted to talk to me. It’s an emergency, he emphasized, and told me that Sooyoung would come and fetch me from school right after practice.

 

Honestly, no matter how urgent the matter must have been, I wouldn’t have gone. If not for the fact that Jessica was giving me the silent treatment the whole time, I would have stayed.

 

Jessica’s seriousness had come to a different level during practice. No whines, no unnecessary questions, no smiles either. She did really well compared to our last but somehow, her music didn’t feel right. Or, did it? I didn’t know anymore. Maybe, it was me who didn’t feel right.

 

As I assisted and observed how she played during the practice, Jessica felt so distant. Like she already put up a barrier between the two of us and gaze alone was not enough to penetrate it. That bothered me a lot but I hadn’t got the guts to confront her for that.

 

When I told her about the call, I was expecting her to react like she usually does, you know. To complain. Or demand more time. Something like that. But she didn’t. She just nodded and made her way to the car quietly, making Mr. Jan give us both a concerned look before he followed Jessica in the car.

 

As I watched their car make its way through the school’s massive gate, I felt something inside me ache. I might have not acknowledged it before but I have always preferred a needy Jessica to an indifferent one, no matter how annoying she could be. The annoying one felt real. For some reason, the annoying one made me feel special.  And now that we’re on our way to the company, my mind kept finding its way back to Jessica.

 

---

 

The matter would be big. I could feel it. They wouldn’t send one of our members to fetch me if not. As we made our way up to the CEO’s office, I suddenly felt anxiety for whatever it was Sunny was calling me for.

 

“He’s here.” Taeyeon, informed everyone in the room calmly as soon as Soo and I entered. I had yet to close the door behind me but I felt like running. All the band members were there, as well as Shinyoung. Sunny was eyeing me from her seat. Except Soo, everyone in the room was looking at me intently. Soo seemed to be the only one who didn’t know a thing to what was happening. He kept nudging Hyo but the latter kept ignoring him. I could taste the tension in the room.

 

 “Good evening, Mr. Kwon. Please take a seat.” Sunny gave a nod before gesturing to the chair beside her desk. Her legs were crossed. She twirled a pen in her fingers as she waited me for to take my seat.  

 

I looked at Shinyoung, who was biting her finger nervously and looked as if she’d pee in her pants at any moment, before I spoke to Sunny. “You called for me. What’s the matter?”

 

“I heard you been out for a vacation Mr. Kwon. I was wondering why I haven’t been informed about it and needed to learn about it from someone else.” Sunny said with the formal tone she always used when talking about business matters. I glanced at my members. Hyo rolled his eyes. Tae shook his head slightly. Soo suddenly looked nervous. Tiffany… Tiffany was glaring at me.

 

“Miss Lee. You must have made a mistake. The photos were real but Y-Yul here was just visiting a-a-a…  friend and it was just a coincidence that~'' Shinyoung suddenly butted in on my defense.

 

“Photos? What photos?” I asked, feigning innocence although I have a strong feeling about what those photos may contain.

 

“Oh. Come on! Let’s stop the drama. Sun, just show him the photos and tell him that you had him followed, okay? I can’t really take this! All the suspense? I hate it. Just say your warnings or whatever it is you want to say, okay? I have a date and I’m running late!” Hyo snapped all of the sudden. He hissed irritably before he sat in the nearby seat with a thud and busied himself with his phone. Everyone looked from Hyo to Sunny nervously, worried. But as usual, Sunny only clenched her jaw and said nothing. Among all of us, Hyo was the only one who could mess with Sunny’s nerves and get away with it. Till now, we don’t know how he could do that.

 

Sunny straightened up in her seat, cleared before producing a brown envelope from her desk. “Here. These were taken from last week till this morning.” I opened the envelope only to be welcomed by pictures of Jessica. And me. Most of the pictures were two of us together. There were even few that were captured during the day of the incident in the bar. My eyes widened in panic before I looked at Sunny accusingly. “Don’t look at me like that, Mr. Kwon. We had a contract. It is my responsibility to check on my investments.” She said, looking at me with all seriousness. That’s what I am to her now. An investment. Funny how I used to see her as a friend before, when she was still a trainee just like me and was yet to take over her father’s place as the head of the company.

 

“Since when did you know?” I asked, putting the thought in the back of my mind. This is not the time to reminisce about the past.

 

“Know about what? The fact that you’d been doing things behind my back? The fact that you almost ed up your career because of your recklessness? The fact that you had been playing house with this little missy?” She held a picture of Jessica in the air. My eyes widened. “Do you know what will happen if the people know about this little game of yours? The people were already noticing how unenthusiastic you’d been acting these past few months.  What more if they knew about what happened in the club and your little Hannah Montana stunt? Your career will go down. Your bad reputation is already getting out of hand and risking you, a notorious player, to be seen by the public with this chick will not help clear your reputation at all.”

 

My knuckles went white as I clenched my fist, trying to keep my cool. “She has a name. It’s Jessica.” I hissed under my breath.

 

“Yes I know. And apparently, I know too that this chick is a Jung. Daughter of the owner of the biggest law firm in Korea. If she gets in trouble by being caught with you, can you imagine how much trouble you and the company will be in? Her father won’t let it go. Especially the thing in the club. Nuh-uh.~”

 

“Will you stop reminding me about what happened in that stupid club? It was an accident! You had me followed; you should know it!” I snapped, banging the desk as I stood up.

 

“Yul. Calm down.” Taeyeon warned. Tiffany was standing by his side, looking confused and afraid at the same time, one of Tae’s hands holding her trembling ones. I think Fany already knew about me staying with Jessica but I bet she have no idea about what happened in the club. Just like Soo and Hyo who both looked surprised by the mention of the club.

 

I didn’t calm down. No. that’s not possible anymore. The fact that Sunny did not seem to be affected by my aggression at all was pissing me off more.

 

“Yes! I ed up. I made a terrible mistake. I know that! But that’s why doing this little vacation! I was helping her; you know. There was this contest in her school. She asked me to help her win so I was training her to make it up to my mistake!”

 

“I know. I know what your deal with that girl~”

 

“Jessica! How many times do I have to tell you that her name is Jessica?!”

 

“So what? You call her brat, don’t you?”

 

“What the-“

 

“Yul.” Taeyeon warned again.

 

“What?!”

 

“You won’t fix anything like that. Just let Sunny finish.” A steady look from Tae and I found myself sitting back to my chair, clenching my teeth to keep from arguing further. “You can continue now, Ms. Lee.”

 

Sunny nodded to Taeyeon in gratitude before facing me. “I know what your intentions are when you had that contract with Ms. Jung but that doesn’t lessen the threat the contents of that contract pose to your career and the company. If you got discovered and everything got out to the public, your career will be on a downfall for sure and we will be forced to cancel our contract with you. Whether or not you’d be able to give me the last song that we agreed upon on the contract, the company will not have you anymore. No royalties and a lot of penalties.

 

“This is what I called you here for; to warn you and remind you of the probable consequences of your action. I won’t interfere in your business with Miss Jung. Do what you want but if got figured out; you’ll have to deal with everything yourself. You have the sole accountability for every decision and actions that you do, Mr. Kwon and this is my way of telling you to be careful.” Sunny said, clamping her hand together as everything she said sink into the mind of everyone else in the room.

 

---

 

“Fany, let me go.” I said as I tried to get Tiffany off my foot. She had been holding on to me as soon as Sunny dismissed us from the meeting. She won’t let me go now. Especially since, except for what happened in the club, she already knew that I was leaving the band and the whole ordeal with Jessica.

 

“I hate you!”

 

“Fany-ah, please I~”

 

“No! I hate you! I hate you! I hate you!”

 

“Fany, please~”

 

“NOOOOOO! NO! NO! NOOOO!” 

 

I looked at the guys for help but Soo and Hyo just pretended they were busy doing something while Taeyeon, on the other hand, was sitting at the couch, his mouth tightly shut, looking away. I sighed. I guess no help from them today.

 

“I need to go, please. Fany, let go of my foot.” I said tiredly.

 

“No! Don’t go back there, Yuwree. That girl is bad for you! Just stay here please. We can help you with the song. Everything will be okay? Right, Taetae?” She called for Tae, eyes pleading but Taeyeon ignored her. That was the first time he did. “Taetae!” Tiffany shouted again, a little annoyed.

 

Taeyeon looked up. He looked not at Fany but at me. He walked towards me, hands shoved on his pocket. He stopped right beside me. “Kwon. Outside. Let’s talk.” His voice was composed but cold. I could feel goose bumps forming on my arms.  Then he looked over his shoulder and gestured to Soo and Hyo. The two gulped in unison but immediately went to take Tiffany off me.

 

“What!?! Nooo! Don’t touch me! Stop touching me! Taetae! They’re touching me! Let go of me! I said let go! Yah! Yaaaah!!”

 

Tae gestured that we walk out only to hear Soo complaining in the background, “Yah! Shut up! Why are you so loud all the time!?!?!” He earned a glare from Tae and a knock in the head from Hyo. “Ouch!” What was that for?!”

 

“You shut up too! You’re both noisy!” Said Hyo.

 

We walked out of the room and Soo's loud “I AM NOT!” was the last thing I heard before the door close behind us.

 

I followed Taeyeon and before I knew where we we’re going, we’re already at a secluded part in the parking lot in front of a covered car. What are we doing here?

 

"I am freeing you from Fany." Tae said, seeing the confusion on my face. Suddenly, he threw me a key with a pea keychain, before pulling the cover off the car. “This is my first car. It’s kind of old but it’s still good to go. You can use it for now. Just take care of it, okay?” I stared at the car key dumbly. Is he really letting me use his first car? He wouldn’t even let me touch it before! “Don’t look to surprised Kwon. It’s better this way. It’ll be less risky if you don’t use the same ride as Jessica. And really, I don’t like the idea of you relying on a carpool. You’ll have less chance of getting away, if ever.” He said.

 

“Hey! Taeng, here’s the envelope that you wanted me to bring.” Hyo shouted while jogging to where Tae and I were.

 

He gave the envelope to Taeng before bidding goodbye to me and hurriedly going back inside the company building.

 

“Here. These are your song drafts from before. I thought it might help you.” He said, giving me the envelope. “I also put some music score there that the guys and I managed to come up with while you’re gone. It’s not much but I think it would help too.”

 

Again, I only looked dumbly at Tae. He’s like an angel sometimes. Suddenly I wanna tear up.

 

“Dude, come on.”

 

“What?”

 

“Please, drop it.”

 

“Huh? Drop what?”

 

“Those puppy eyes!”

 

“Hey! I don’t do puppy eyes!” I exclaimed, probably while doing the puppy eyes. 

 

He shook his head, a small smile breaking on his face, “ Gee. Whatever. Go on now, before Fany managed to escape from those two.” He said, waving me off.

 

“Hey, Tae?” I called for him when I was already inside the car. “Thank you.”

 

“Yeah. I know that even with Sunny’s warning you won’t stop anyway. Just do whatever your business there, okay? And fast.”

 

“Fast, eh?”

 

“Yeah. Fast.”

 

“For my sake, for the band’s sake or for Fany’s?”

 

“You know the answer to that.” He answered.

 

“Tae~”

 

“Stop. I don’t want to talk about me and Fany anymore. Just finish that deal and comeback, okay? I don’t wanna see Fany sad again.” I could see he was upset. If only I could reassure him.

 

“Be cautious and take care.” He said before finally turning his back on me. He walked away, I drove off; both of us carrying a heavy heart because of the reality we know would welcome us back. His; an unrequited love. Mine; a doubtful tomorrow.

 

----

 

It was late when I finally arrived at Jung's Mansion. It was a quiet evening. I went to the kitchen, craving for a cup of water. The maids were already asleep and I assumed that Jessica would be asleep at that hour too. Besides, she just recovered from a sickness and had a stressful day at school. She should be asleep.

 

Thinking about the brat, I wonder, did she think about me the whole time I was not here? I mean, I thought about her a lot. She could have thought about me at least once or twice, right?

 

I sighed and shook the thoughts out of my head. I got too many problems today and got a hell to think about tomorrow, about Seo, about practice and about everything. My mind needed rest.

 

To put my mind to rest, I need my music.

 

Assuming no one was around, I made my way to the piano. It looked as flawless as it looked before. I ran my finger on the surface. It was as smooth as a clan as before too.

 

I sat and opened the piano. Stretching my fingers, I readied myself to play.

 

But I couldn’t. No. I was afraid. Jessica did not want me to use this piano. The distance between us now was unbearable enough. I didn’t want her to be angry at me again nor for her to feel farther away from me.

 

Heaving a sigh, I stood up and closed the piano.

 

“Why didn’t you play?”

 

I abruptly turned to my side. There she was, on her sleeping robe, hair tied in a bun. She was sitting on the couch, a book in her hand. Her eyes cold as before. She still looked distant.

 

“I remember you didn’t want me to use this. Why are you still awake?” I asked, cocking my head to the side.

 

She ignored the question and put down the book she was holding. “You just got back?”

 

“Yeah.”

 

She nodded to herself before she stood up. “I was waiting for you.” She said as she inserted a hand on her robe’s pocket.

 

“You were?” I asked, suddenly feeling enthusiastic.

 

“Yeah.”

 

So she’ll apologize for what happened! See, I knew she didn’t mean what she said!

 

“I wanted to return something to you.” She said when she was already standing right in front of me. “This.” In her hand dangled my favorite necklace. The one I made her keep as a token of assurance when I left her in the park. It was very important to me because my father gave it. I didn’t even realize I’m not wearing it anymore until now that she already gave it back.

 

“I’m sorry if it took so long for me to give it back.” She said, laying the necklace on my upturned palm. I noticed the hesitant look on her face as she let the necklace out of her grip but that hesitance was gone in a blink of an eye. She swallowed hard before finally letting go of the necklace.

 

“I wanted to give it back even before but I couldn~ I always forgot to.” She said and smiled a little. I felt my heart flutter but not in a good way. Like someone pinched my heart and took a piece of it.

 

“It’s important to you, right?”

 

“Yeah.” I said, staring at her eyes. You’re important to me too.

 

“I’m giving it back. I won’t need it anymore.” She said and looked away. “I’ll go to sleep now.” She swallowed hard before she muttered, “Goodnight.”

 

When she was about to walk away, I grabbed her hand to stop her. “I’m sorry.” I said, hurriedly because I felt like she’ll be gone in a flash if I don’t. “For whatever it is I did to make you upset, I’m sorry.” I said, holding to her hand tighter.

 

“Yul. Why are you~” She tried to pull her hand but I tugged it tighter.

 

“Please, don’t treat me this way.” I said, pleadingly. I don’t know why I acted that way but I feel like I need to or else… or else…

 

“Yul ~”

 

“What did I do, Sica? Tell me. I won’t do it again. I swear.”

 

“Yul, just let go! I need to sleep! Aish! What’s the matter with you!?”

 

Looking at her eyes, I didn’t know how “You.” spoken so softly sounded so loud. “You matter to me. And I don’t even know why.”

 

She stopped struggling. She was looking at me with an indescribable expression. Time seemed to stop until she gritted her teeth and looked away. I could hear her every breath, like she was trying keep something in. “I don’t know what’s up with you but I don’t have time for this.” Using her other hand, she removed my hand from hers and walked away.

 

Staring at her retreating back, she suddenly felt so far. “Stay. Stay with me for a while. I’ll let you go, just... just… for a while... stay. Please.”

 

I was yearning for her to stay. When she stopped and she glanced at me over her shoulder, I still had that little part of me that says even sinners could love but it died when Jessica left after only saying goodnight.


 

 


Please do comment and thank you all for supporting my fic. You don't know how much I appreciate you guys!

Special thanks to those guys who upvoted 

Twitter: @Kwonleah23 You're welcome to chat with me if you want. :)