Sometimes Sh*t Happens

What Makes a Rock Star

He laughed. Again. For a reason I don’t know. “Young people these days." He said while shaking his head. I think Jessica’s driver is getting some of her weirdness. "Young Master.” He said, taking my attention again as he crossed his arms. “Want to know what I did before I became Jung's driver?”

 

I eyed him expectantly.

 

“Pâtissière.”


 

What Makes a Rock Star


 

Chapter 10

(Sometimes Happens)

 


 

 “I can’t do this.” I muttered. Hell no. I can’t do this. Why the hell did I agree with this guy in the first place?

 

“You’re doing great, Young Master. You’re actually progressing.” Mr. Jan said to me reassuringly.

 

“Yeah! Yul-ssi! You’re progressing!” Said the three fangirling maids in unison. Jinjja? Their presence made me want to facepalm myself in embarrassment. Having Mr. Jan see me like this was embarrassing enough. Why do they need to be here and see me suffer?!

 

“You call this progress?” I said in disbelief, referring to the mess I made in the kitchen. Flour was covering the floor. Kitchen wares were scattered everywhere. Two tarred cakes were on the top of the counter I was working on like they’re mocking me for bringing about their existence. I looked at my reflection on the steel counter and scrunched up my nose in disgust for I looked like walking flour with a face. I examined the cake mixture in the bowl on my hands. My arms were aching from mixing the ingredients continuously yet it didn’t look like it’ll be ready to bake anytime soon.

 

I clicked my tongue in frustration.

 

I can't believe I wake up so early only to end up with this fail scenario!

 

Mr. Jan stood beside me and patted my back encouragingly. “Don’t worry. I have a feeling this one will turn out good.”

 

“Yeah, right, like you didn’t say that about the first two.” Referring to the burnt cakes I made earlier. “You made a good job teaching me, Mr. Jan, but can’t you just make it for me so we can get it ready faster?” I demanded, irritation going up my head. 

 

“It’ll be more meaningful if you make it by yourself.”

 

“I just need a cake Mr. Jan. Please stop being overdramatic.”

 

“Don’t worry too much, Young Master. This one is much better than the last two, believe me.”

 

“Are you really sure she will like this?” First of all, I don’t think that brat will be happy when she sees how I single handedly thrashed their kitchen and second, I bet that when she tastes how awful I bake, she will hate me more.

 

“Of course, she will love it. Am I right ladies?” He asked the maids and they nodded simultaneously, looking at me with a bedazzled expression.

 

Yeah right.

 

---

 

I stared at the oven attentively. I was sitting at eye level of the cake, my eyebrows furrowed in concentration. 'Yeah baby. With me right in front of you, there’s no way in hell you can burn.'  I smirked at the thought. 

 

I have a very good feeling about this one. Maybe Mr. Jan was right. Everything was flowing smoothly. What could possibly go wrong, right?

 

"YUL-SSI!" Their whining voices echoed in the room.

 

Okay. I take that back. Not everything is going smooth.

 

“What’s your favorite color?” None of your business.

 

“When’s the release of your next album?” Like I care.

 

“Do you prefer vanilla ice cream or chocolate? It must be chocolate right? Vanilla is just too bland.” You ! Vanilla rocks!

 

It's impossible to ignore these maids! They’ve been bugging me non-stop since Mr. Jan went out to condition the car and I couldn't do anything but to endure them. I took a glimpse of my watch. 15 more minutes. You can do this Yul! Ignore these pesky maids. Fighting!

 

“Is it true that Sooyoung actually...talks?” Aish! Jinjja? This is why I told him to stop overdoing that mysterious image!

 

“How high are Taeyeon and Hyoyoen’s insoles?” Measure how big your mouth is then double it. That high maybe.

 

“Is it true that Tiffany’s is really... small?” Pfft.  

 

“I bet it is true, right? See I told you my ’s bigger than hers.” You wish.

 

“So that’s why some guy on the internet claims that he saw her buying pads in the department store!” She bought that for Sooyoung.

 

"We should totally figure out where that department store is!"

 

"Yeah! And ask the brand too!" This is hopeless.

 

"Hmmmm... Is it true you got a hair transplant?”

 

“YAH! Where did you hear that?!” I stood up suddenly,  shocking the maids out of their guts. I could feel the vein in my head pop in irritation. My hair! My hair! Always about my gorgeous hair!

 

“Internet.” They said in unison.

 

“Aish!” I turned my attention back to the oven. It’s almost done now. Why the hell am I listening to them anyway? Focus Yul! Focus!

 

Encouraged by my sudden outrage, they continued.

 

“They said you are dating someone secretly. Is it our Young Lady they are talking about?” My fist clenched on its own. 

 

“Yeah. Are you and Young Lady together?” Are they serious?

 

“What kind of question is that? Of course they’re together! Why will he do something like this for the lady if they are not?” See Mr. Jan? I told you this is not a good idea! Now these maids are frying me like hell with their questions!

 

“Don’t worry Yul-ssi. We approve of you! We think you two look good together.” I faced them ready to tell them to bugger off only to find myself flabbergasted when I find them nodding in unison while looking at me with all seriousness and conviction. Damn you crazy people. 

 

I opened my mouth, ready to defend myself when…

 

“But doesn’t the Young Lady have a fiancé already?” My mouth hung open. “Ouch!” The other maid knocked her head.

 

“Yah! Do you really need to point that out?!” Said one of them. She looked at me worriedly. Suddenly, I feel like all my energy draining up. “Look at what you did! Now he’s heartbroken!” 

 

Wait. Why the hell am I getting upset because of this? It’s not like I like her or something. 

 

I cleared my throat. “Who are you saying heartbroken?” I asked cockily and smirked. They pointed at me. “Me? Yeah right! Like I care. Listen, it’s not what you think.  I only see~”

 

*Ting!*

 

“Oooh! The cake is ready now!” They exclaimed and went to the oven excitedly. I held on to my head in frustration. They didn’t even let me finish explaining!

 

One of them brought the cake out and put it on top of the counter. “Wow. I never thought you can make something like this.” She said, three of them looking at me admiringly.

 

I smirked. “It’s really easy though. HAHAHAHAHAHA!” I laughed proudly, my hands on my waist. I continued laughing maniacally until I heard one of them whispering.

 

“Don’t you think he’s overdoing it a bit?” I opened my eyes to look at them.  

 

“I think so too. The stress got to his head. Poor thing.” Said the other one while looking at me sympathetically.

 

I stopped laughing and glared at them. I cleared my throat. “Okay. I think that’s enough. Now let me transfer this to a cleaner counter.” I said as I make my way to lift the cake.  

 

“Yul-ssi wait!” One of them warned.

 

But it’s too late.

 

I already lifted the cake without protective mitten. 

 

Then suddenly, everything was in slow motion. 

 

"AAAAHHHH!!" The voices of the maids resonated in the room. It sounded so low and muffled in my ears, like it was made by a man screaming in slow motion. 

 

One moment, the beautifully made cake, which I spent almost three hours making, was sitting pretty on top of the tray in my hands. Then suddenly my hands jerked from the contact with the hot surface of the tray. Just like how I watched Sica fly in the air when she made that wrestling move on me, I watched the cake fly out of the tray with wide eyes. 

 

My eyes followed the cake in the air. Carrying the tray on my hands. I jumped. I jumped like I never did before. I landed at the floor with a thud but I could never be more happy when the cake landed on the tray.

 

Euphoria.

 

That's what I was feeling as I looked at the majestic beauty of the cake. It felt like I just won my first award. Actually, no. That was way better than that. 

 

But joy was short lived. 

 

A grin was only starting to form on my face when I saw the shadow of the figure hovering above me. I snapped my head up. It's a bird. It's a plane. No. It's the maid!

 

I followed her with my wide eyes. Everything was so fast that I wasn't able to move at all. Her body hovered on top of the cake. Then..

 

*SPLAT* 

 

Sometimes.... happens.

 

---

 

I kept my head down and continued fidgeting. I was even tempted to bite my nails because of nervousness.

 

“Haven’t she come down yet?”

 

“Oh my God! She’s almost by the stairs now!”

 

“Where? Let me see!!!!”

 

“Yah! Stop pushing me!”

 

“Sorry. I just got excited. Yul-ssi, come here! Pali-pali!” She said nudging me continuously.

 

“Yeah! Come join us Yul-ssi! Ooooh. She’s coming down the stairs now!”

 

“Omo. Look at him! So nervous. Yul-ssi. Are you okay?” The other maid inquired, resting her hand on my shoulder.

 

“Shut up! If it weren’t because of you I won’t be worried like this!” I shouted and shook her hands off me. I tried to ignore their continuous chattering and continued staring nowhere. I couldn’t even describe what I was feeling. “Aish!” I crumpled my hair together.

 

“Yul-ssi! She saw it already! Aigoo~”

 

“Omo! Look at that!” They beamed dreamily.

 

That’s it!

 

I ran outside. My heart was thumping so fast. I needed to go out of there fast! I leaned on the door. I could only knock my head when I realized how sissy I’ve been acting.

 

“So how was it, Young master?” Mr. Jan asked, coming from the direction of the garage. “Did something happen? Why are you sweating so much?” He asked worriedly.

 

I facepalmed myself. Jinjja! I’m acting totally out of character right now. This is why I hate doing surprises.

 

“Young Master?” Mr. Jan inquired again. I shook my head to clear my thoughts. ‘You are Kwon Yuri! You’re a bad rock star, not a sissy! You’re a very good looking, y, charismatic rock star! Man up!’ I chanted in my head. “Are you okay? Do you want water? I’ll get you one.” He offered.

 

I pulled my school blazers cockily and stretched my neck. “Don’t bother Mr. Jan. It’s just so hot in there I needed to go out.”

 

“Are you sure?”

 

“Neh. I’ll just go to my room to check on some things.”

 

“Aren’t you going to join the Young Lady for breakfast?”

 

“Ermm.” I cleared my throat and pretended to look at the tree standing in the garden. “No. I’m don’t usually have breakfast in the morning.” I lied and put my hands in my pocket before hurriedly walking away before he can even ask why I didn't just go in through the kitchen instead of using the front door. I ignored my stomach growling in complaint. I rather bear hunger than go back there.

 

I quickly went to my room, took my bag and went out.

 

“WOOOOAH!” My heart almost jumped out of my chest when Jessica suddenly popped out when I opened the door. She had her arms crossed as she walked in the room sergeant style. Her three maids followed behind her, carrying the pancakes I made for her.

 

Yeah. Pancakes. I woke up 3 in the morning and spent all that time making a decent cake only to end up with freakin pancakes.

 

I looked at the pancakes. Plain and uneven. I crunched up my nose in disgust. It’s like they are speaking to me; mocking me. I looked at Jessica who’s glaring at me. “What do you need?” I asked, acting cool. Damn those eyes. Scary as hell.

 

“Did you really make this?” She asked, pointing at the pancakes.

 

I knew this would happen. I gave the maids an accusing look. They held their heads low. I was certain I told them not to tell Jessica I made those ugly pancakes.

 

“Yeah. So?” I said staring down cockily at Jessica.

 

“…...”

 

I looked away trying to ignore the sudden change in her expression.

 

“So, you really DID make them.” She said to herself.

 

“If you don’t like them just throw them away.” I said dismissively before walking out of the room. The maids are giving me a disapproving look but I ignored them.

 

Failed again. 

 

“Why?” I heard her say from behind me. I stopped and looked back only to see her with an eager expression. “Why would you do that for me?” She asked.

 

Aish.

 

“Nothing. Stop asking we’ll be late.” I said, averting my gaze away from her.

 

“That’s not true Jessica-ssi. He made it to make it up to you for what happened on your birthday!” One of the maids suddenly butted in. I shot her a deadly look. This woman! Imma sew that blabbing mouth of yours!

 

“Yeah! He was supposed to make a cake for you but I ruined it. We’re telling the truth!” The other one said. I widened my eyes to threaten her. They’re making this more embarrassing for me. There are very few things in life that I tried to do but failed. They, sticking that fact out to my face, were rubbing my already strained ego.

 

“You! You shut up.” I shouted to the maid and looked at Jessica again.

 

Eh?

 

Not only does her mood change again but now she’s smiling to herself like crazy. Wait. Is she... blushing?

 

Nuh. Impossible.

 

“Look, it's okay if you don’t want it. I know I at cooking so it’s not like I’m expecting you to like it. Do anything you want with it. I’ll go wait for you in the car.” I said before tossing my bag to my shoulder and turning to the door, avoiding the look the maids are giving me.

 

I was almost out of the room when I heard Jessica calling me. “Yuri-ah!” I stopped to look at her again. “I’ll eat it well. Kamsahamnida.” She said, smiling at me.

 

I swear that was the most beautiful smile she ever gave me. No. Actually, that was the most beautiful smile I ever saw.

 

I nodded at her before turning my back on her hastily and continued walking out. I unconsciously brought my hands to mouth to suppress the smile forming in them. Image of Jessica’s smile is playing on replay in my head. I tried to shake it off but failed. I found myself scratching the back of my neck. “That brat weirdo.” I muttered under my breath.

 

---

 

Jessica was in a good mood when she entered the car. The brat even attempted to initiate conversation with me but I ignored her and stared at the window the whole ride. I avoided looking at her. Every time I allowed myself to, I started feeling something weird and I didn't even know why.

 

“Here we are.” I heard Mr. Jan say. He eyed me from the front seat. That’s my cue.

 

Jessica started gathering her things and was about to open the door when I stopped her. “Huh?” She looked at me confusedly while I tried my best to keep my gaze away from her face.

 

“Here.” I said, almost shoving the thing to her hands.

 

“What’s this?” She looked at me confusedly.

 

I swallowed the lump in my throat. “A headband? What do you think?” I said a matter-of-factly. That headband was the first thing I bought when I left Jessica at the park. The store was far but I knew from the moment I saw it that it’ll suit Jessica well.

 

She tilted her head to look at me but I held my gaze away. “For what?”

 

I rolled my eyes in disbelief. “You love asking questions, don’t you?” I asked sarcastically before taking the headband rashly away from her hands and to put it on her. It looks great on her but Jessica looking at me with shell shocked expression did not help me appreciate it more. I look everywhere but her. “Belatedhappybirthday” I blurted out before swiftly opening the door and making my way out of the car.

 

I played with my foot anxiously while I waited for her outside. I pulled on the collar of my shirt. Is it me or it’s getting hard to breath in here? The door of the car opened and I turned my back from it like a reflex. I heard Jessica saying goodbye to Mr. Jan before I heard footsteps coming near me. I could see Jessica on my peripheral vision now.

 

“Thank you for this.” She said with a tight lip smile.

 

“Yeah. Whatever. Let's go.” I said and started walking ahead of her. I could only refer to my ear to make sure she was walking behind me. That was the first time that I took the lead. A smile crept on my face unconsciously. It felt good. Her following me, I mean.

 

We were almost at the main door when I noticed the silent thumping of her foot stopped.

 

“Umpfh~”

 

 I turned to her. There was Jessica…. and there was Onew. Onew had encircled his arms on her waist. He'd pulled her head closer, sealing her lips with a kiss.

 

Sometimes… happens.

 

But sometimes….. happens again and again.


 

 


Thank you for the upvote ryan86 and Endaiyy. :-* Ahahaha, You made me very happy. LOL

Thank you all for reading.