Well I Didn't Expect That

What Makes a Rock Star

 

 “Of course. See you in front of the school this coming Saturday.” I said coolly before I went out. Kwon Casanova strikes again.

 

Who thought something good will come out with Jessica leaving me behind?

 

Just like they say. When the cat is out, the mouse will play.


 

What Makes a Rock Star

 

Chapter 12

(Well I Didn't Expect That)


 

Jessica was still not home when I came back from school. Having nothing better to do and aware that the day for Jessica’s contest was nearing, I decided to utilize my spare time to rearrange her song. And since we all know that two heads are better than one, I asked Seohyun for help. But of course, we all know why I asked her for help.

 

“How was that Seo?” I said as soon as I finished playing the song. Seohyun was on the other line of the phone, listening to me while I was playing.

 

“I think it’s good oppa but I suggest you won’t make the rhythm so slow. And also oppa, we can insert a little prelude to add impact to the start of the song. Here, I’ll show you what I have in mind. Listen well, okay?”

 

I thought I could take this chance to show off. But I was wrong. The girl seems to know a hell lot better than me.

 

“Yeah. Sure.” I said hiding my disappointment. I heard a soft thud as she placed her phone down followed by a soft melody of the piano. I listened intently and tried to play along with her to see if the arrangement really worked well together.

 

It did. Amazing.

 

“Heard it oppa? How do you find it?”

 

“That was great. It sounds way better than before.” I said. I started grinning. It’s a really good idea that I asked Seohyun’s help. Damn. She made everything less complicated. I think Jessica could play this one better. It’s simpler but still catchy; it’ll help Jessica focus more on the singing part.

 

“Oh? Jinjja? Good! Oppa, can I ask you something? Why are we doing this? Do you plan to enter a contest or something?”

 

I didn’t tell Seohyun about the part that we’re arranging this for Jessica. Jessica told me before that she hadn’t told anyone about her entering the contest and that I was not allowed to tell anybody about it without her permission. I asked her why but she refused to tell me.

 

Sometimes, I wonder what the hell was going on with that girl’s mind. She does a lot of things without bothering for explanations. Sometimes I thought I should not bother asking her anymore. Everytime I did, I ended up getting frustrated in the end. But strangely, I couldn’t stop. I’m the kind of person who has a need for reasons and her mysteriousness was bugging me. On the good side though, I think it’s one of things that made her interesting.

 

“Oh nothing Seo. It’s just a good way to pass time.”

 

“You mean you’re just using me to pass time?” She said with a sad tone.

 

“What? Of course not. I mean, I want to spend time with you, especially now you’re not here with me. I kinda miss you already.” I reasoned, smirking because of my hidden intentions. My angel’s was probably trying hard not to squeal on the other line by now. 

 

I wanted to throw another sweet line when I heard the door opening. I turned my attention to it and saw Jessica go in carrying a big pink box. She gave the box she’s holding to one of the maids. I smiled when I saw she was wearing the headband I gave her.

 

But my smile instantly faded when I saw her expression.

 

She already looked pissed off when she came home but she started to look like she’s going to murder someone when she saw me. Her eyes widened at me in a scary way.

 

She walked to me slowly, shifting her gaze to me and the piano then to me again. A maid was at her side and I could see her talking to Jessica in an apologetic manner. Jessica didn’t pay much attention to her instead she kept her gaze at me intently. She nodded to the maid and I saw the relief in the maid’s face when she did. The maid bowed to her before all of the household helpers left the proximity as if giving us privacy.

 

“What are you doing on my piano?” She asked me with an accusing tone. She had a stoic expression on but I could sense that there was something she’s trying to hold behind that expression.

 

“Seo wait. I need to do something. Talk to you later.” I whispered to Seo and cut the call. I faced Jessica fully. The look Jessica was giving me reminded me of the dog guarding its territory.  “I was just working on something for your performance.” I said to her in a matter of fact manner as I stood up. “I thought of this new arrangement~” I tried to explain myself because I could sense that I’ve pissed her off for some reason.

 

“Who told you that you can use my piano?!” She asked now in a demanding tone, not even letting me finish. The icy stare on her eyes gave me goosebumps.

 

Now, I started to think I made a really bad decision in insisting to use her piano to practice with. The other maids tried to stop me but I thought since I was doing it for her, she would be okay with it. 

 

“Haven’t anyone ever told you that it’s not nice to use someone else’s things without their permission?!” She shouted at me, stepping forward. Her voice is getting louder than normal. I can sense that she’s really angry right now.

 

And I was getting angry too.

 

I took a deep breath to calm myself. No one who dared to shout at me lived peacefully after. Jessica doing that to me was not an exemption.

 

But that didn't seem to apply to Jessica at all.

 

“Look Jessica. Listen to me f~” I wanted to explain but she cut me off.

 

No matter how much I wanted to snap at her, I couldn’t.  Because she might cry. I hate it when I see her cry.

 

“My maids told you the piano is off limits, didn’t they?!” She shouted now. She’s a meter away from me. Her face was contorted because of anger. Even after the incident that brought us together, I never saw her truly angry. Like this.

 

“Yes, they did. But Jessica, listen first~” I was trying to maintain my cool SO bad. I knew perfectly that my anger was not going to make the situation any better.

 

“They told you multiple times, Kwon Yuri! Can’t you understand even simple instructions?!” She said in exasperation. Then her expression changed like she just remembered something. “Oh wait. I forgot rock stars aren’t supposed to think. You live by doing what your managers, directors and producers told you to do. You won’t understand that. No. You know why?” She asked mockingly. I looked at her, dumbfounded. “See. You can’t answer. It’s because you’re stupid!” She shouted, closing her eyes like a child having a fit. Her face was red because of anger. 

 

We just stood there after that. Jessica, looking at me furiously and me staring at her in disbelief. I couldn’t believe Jessica just said those words. She may be bratty and manipulative but I never thought she could be this mean. She never deliberately insulted me before.

 

I saw tears start flowing out of her eyes now. It’s trailing her face; her cheeks down to her lips that she bit so hard to stop trembling. She was looking at me with a hurt expression.

 

I couldn’t see why. She's not the one hurt right then. I was.

 

That was the first time I saw her cry and didn’t give a damn about it.

 

I smiled at her sardonically. “So this is what I get from trying to make my end of the deal huh? I’m really sorry about the piano, Jessica, but you asked me to make you win. I would never have insisted on using the piano but I was worried about you. We both know that you're no way near good enough to win and the contest is nearing. Yet you wouldn’t take my advice. You didn’t take the training seriously. You’re always out, dealing with I don’t know what, leaving me behind without any explanations. You want me to make you win but you’re not helping yourself and here I am working my off, carrying two weights that we are supposed to carry together simply because I don’t want you to fail!” I took the music sheets. “I didn’t intend to rub this to your face but I used your piano to make this.” I said as I lay it before her. She looked at it coldly then back at me. "When you get a grip of your temper, try to learn that. Consider that my last lesson to you. I'm out of here." I said before turning my back on her.

 

"W-What do you mean?" She asked, alarmed. The supremacy in her voice before was no longer evident. 

 

"I mean, you deal with your problem alone. I'm no longer your trainer." I said and started walking towards the door. 

 

"But we have a contract."

 

"Oh no, we don't. Not anymore. And luckily, I'm not the one who breached it." I stopped and turned to her, looking at her seriously. "A contract is met by both ends, not by one. I tried doing mine but you didn't seem to do yours. You're a slacker. A waste of effort. I thought you’re really serious about this contest when I agreed to help you. But you’ve proven me wrong. When I ing sign that contract I was serious about helping you, Jessica. That’s why I tried my best. But I'm tired now. Now, you do the rest."  I said and resumed walking. 

 

"I'll send someone to return you the clothes and replace the phone I broke." I said not planning to give her a glance. I walked out silently then I heard Jessica mutter something behind me.

 

"You promised me." 

 

I sighed and took note to myself to never make promises again. 

 

As soon as I'm outside, I took out my phone and texted Taeyeon, asking him to fetch me. Then I dialed my phone for my innocent angel and waited for her to answer.

 

"Hello? Seo? Did I wake you up?... Oh. Great... Nothing. I just want to hear your voice.... What!? No. I'm not. That's nothing... Yeah... So listen. Seo, can I ask you something? It's important and I need your answer tonight."  

 

 


Thank you all for reading.

Please do comment.