The Reason

What Makes a Rock Star

"OOPPPA SHHAARRRANGHAE!!!!”

 

I jerked my ears away from the phone and looked at the phone dumbly, my cheeks blushing profusely.

 

What the hell was that?


 

What Makes a Rock Star


 

Chapter 18

(The Reason)


 

“Where is she?!”

 

I barged into Soju House and scanned the crowd for Jessica. Smoke from grilled meat was everywhere. How and why the hell did that brat get into this place?

 

“Um, excuse me. Hello sir. I’m Mr. Choi, manager of this establishment. Based on the name on the phone, are you perhaps Baldy-ssi?” A mustachio with a medium height and beer belly approached me.

 

Baldy-ssi? That brat named me Baldy-ssi even on her phone?!  Grrr!

 

He pointed to the female figure head-banging on the corner.

 

I pushed the manager aside impatiently and narrowed my eyes to focus on the figure behind him.

 

Jessica was wearing the gown that she showed me last night. Her blonde hair was cleared to one side, exposing her . If I didn’t know better I might have found myself gulping because of the sight.

 

I saw the manager gesture to one of the staff. The staff approached Jessica, mumbled something and pointed at my direction.

 

Then she turned to me.

 

Wasted. Really wasted. That's what she looked like.

 

Her make-up was smeared on her face. Her bangs were sticking on her forehead, now wet with sweat. Her cheeks up to her ears were flushed. Her eyes disappeared as she acknowledged me with the drunken smirk.

 

“BALDYYYY!!!!” She exclaimed.

 

My jaw almost dropped open.

 

“Sshheeee, I chhold yuu hii’ll come porr mi.” She said to the staff standing next to her with a satisfied smile.

 

She excitedly stood up and staggered to me, her knees wobbling as she walked. My heart skipped a beat when she almost lost her balance. Fortunately the staff was able to catch her.

 

Then she… she…

 

“Oh. Tenk chuu.” She said before kissing him on the cheeks. “Joah~”

 

What the f~

 

My eyes widened as I looked at the staff, now stunned in his place… blushing.  

 

Imma kill this idiot!

 

I hurriedly walked to them and stubbornly slapped the staff’s hands off Jessica. “I’ll assist her.” I said sternly to the staff, breaking his stunned state with a piercing glare.

 

But before I could hold on to Jessica, she already crawled to the manager. Her hands did not reach each other as she hugged his enormous waist from the side.

 

“Tenk you chuu, ahjusssshiii!!” She said sweetly, nuzzling her cheeks against his belly. “Sharangghange~” And kissed the man’s belly.  

 

My jaw dropped in disbelief. “S-S-Saranghae?”

 

You must be kidding me!

 

I glared accusingly at the manager, gritting my teeth. I could feel my fist clenching like a reflex.

 

“It’s not what you think sir.” The manager waved his hands in front of him defensively as he tried to squirm his way out of Jessica’s embrace. He was far from successful. Jessica was hugging him like a koala.

 

 I marched towards them. I grabbed Jessica’s wrist and forced her hands off him before I carried her back to her previous seat.

 

“Oppaa-aah.” She complained, managing to say that with aegyo despite her drunken state.

 

I ignored Jessica and turned to the manager as soon as Jessica’s seated securely. “How many did she drink?” I asked him with a scrutinizing gaze.

 

“About three to four bottles I think.” The manager said, nervously scratching his fingers.

 

“What?!” I stood up angrily. “You let her drink that much?! Don’t you know she’s a minor!? She’s not even supposed to be allowed to drink!”

 

So she just said she loves me because she’s too drunk? I still can’t believe it.

 

The manager gulped nervously, holding his head down. “We-We didn’t really know who she is.”

 

“Don’t you check for their ID’s?! This is ridiculous!”

 

No, Kwon Yuri! YOU are ridiculous! Tsk. Believing such a petty bluff.

 

“Oppa-aaahh.” Jessica’s cooed cutely, which only made the whole thing more annoying for me.

 

“Don’t oppa me, brat. What the hell are you thinking?” I stood up and started pacing in front of her and the manager. I started ranting; masking my disappointment with irritation. I didn’t even bother to give a on how the other customers were looking at me.

 

“So this is what you said at the event you were going to huh? I can’t believe it! The competition is nearing. I thought you’ll be doing something important but instead you dare to waste your time getting wasted in this kind of bar!”

 

“Excuse me, sir, but~”

 

“I’m not talking to you!” I harshly cut the manager off and continued nagging at Jessica. “You’re so stubborn! Do you know how worried I was! I didn’t even manage to go back and say goodbye to Seo properly because I thought something might happen to you!” I said pointing a finger at her accusingly.

 

The corner of my lips twitched in annoyance when I saw not even a glint of remorse on her eyes. Instead there was a stupid grin was plastered on her face, matching the heavy lidded drunken eyes she used to hold my gaze. Then she started humming some familiar trot song and swayed her body to an imaginary music like I wasn’t even in front of her. I scrunched up my nose from the sight.

 

“Aish!” I ruffled my hair in frustration.  What am I thinking ranting in front of a drunken woman?

 

I crouched in front of Jessica before facing the manager tiredly, “You mentioned she destroyed things here, didn’t you? Put it in the bill. I’ll pay for it.”

 

He averted his gaze sheepishly before muttering, “Actually sir. She didn’t destroy anything. She just told me to tell you that she did so you’ll hurry to fetch her.”

 

Why am I not even surprised?

 

I nodded in understanding and the manager bowed slightly before taking his leave. I shifted my gaze to Jessica, whose stupid grin didn’t match the elegance of her gown at all. I took out my handkerchief and gently wiped her sweaty face, washing off the messed up make-up while she continued humming, not caring about me at all.  

 

I scrunch my nose in disgust as I looked at my make-up smeared, in other word, UGLY, handkerchief then glowered at Jessica. She really did it this time! I bet this brat intended this to piss me off!  She knew I hate dirty and ugly things!

 

“You came for me.” She said a matter-of-factly as soon as I but her smile was so wide that I couldn’t even have a glimpse of her eyes.

 

 “Yes I did.” I said nonchalantly, tossing the handkerchief carelessly at the table.

 

To my surprise, she clamped her lips into a thin smile and opened her arms like she was inviting me in. “Hug me.” She childishly demanded, looking at me with sleepy eyes.

 

“No.”I said sulkily.

 

“WAAEE!?!!”

 

“I don’t hug smelly people. You smell like soju.” I said in scrunching up my nose, pretending to be disgusted.

 

“Hug meee!”

 

“Why would I?” I countered even if there's no point asking.

 

“Jusshh becaussh.” She pouted.

 

I furrowed my eyebrows in irritation. I guess being drunk doesn’t change people much.

 

“BALLDDYY!” She whined. “Pwweeeasssh~”

 

“Aish! Fine!” I said grudgingly and hugged her.

 

She buried her face on my shoulder. Her breath gave a warming sensation against my clothes. I found myself relaxing because of how soothing it felt.

 

This is why I don’t want to hug her. She could make me inappropriately comfortable in her arms that I didn’t know if I even want to let her go.

 

“Why’d you get drunk, Jessica?” I asked in a whisper.

 

“Jushh becaussh.” She mumbled her favorite explanation for everything just before she drifted off to sleep.

 

---

 

I took a taxi home. I still didn’t have Mr. Jan’s number and Jessica was too drunk to remember where she put her phone.

 

I let Jessica lay her head on my lap on our ride home. She drifted on and off to sleep, sometimes mumbling incomprehensibly.

 

I played with some strands of her bangs as I stared at her. Even though it’s sort of creepy, I love watching her sleep. She looked so peaceful. That was a rare sight.

 

I traced the bridge of her nose delicately and found myself pursing my lips.

 

Then she stirred. Lines formed in her forehead as her eyebrows furrowed. She looked like she was having a bad dream.

 

I straightened the lines with my fingers before resting my hand on her face, brushing her cheek with my thumb soothingly.

 

I wish I had never done that.

 

Because, as I too, fell asleep, the sensation and the vivid features of her face followed me in my dream.

 

It was the best dream ever.

 

---

 

I decided to piggyback Jessica back to her room when the taxi dropped us in front of the Jung's mansion.

 

It’s a bad decision.

 

I thought when Jessica wakes up; she’ll be a little sober.

 

“Broom! Broom!”

 

But she’s not.

 

“Jessica, stop pulling my hair!”

 

“Shireoyo. Move faster!” She happily twisted a bunch of my wig, pretending it’s the handle of her human motorcycle. She didn’t slur anymore which was more annoying considering that I couldn’t find her funny anymore.

 

“Ouch! Sica-ah!” I groaned when Jessica pulled on my hair again. “Sica, stop!” And again. “Urrghh! Sica! Stop it! I’m serious!” I shouted irritably.

 

“Hahahahaha!” Jessica’s sinister laughter filled the air. “Call me that again.” Then her (fake) innocent face came into the view when she bent forward slightly, craning her neck as if wanting to see my pissed off face. She smiled sleepily.

 

Not really getting what she meant, I raised my eyebrows questioningly.

 

Her expression immediately turned into a scowl and she pulled on my wig painfully until it’s completely off my head.

 

“A-A-A-A-OUCH! SICA! What’s wrong with you? You’ll ruin my wig!”I asked, grumpily turning my head to her only to see her with a satisfied grin.

 

“Call me Sica from now on.” She said. No. She commanded. That cunning smile she had on tells it all.

 

“If that’s what you want, then you should have told it directly! My scalp hurts because of you!” I whined.

 

She scowled. Scary eyes glared at me.

 

“F-Fine.”  I managed.

 

Damn.

 

“Good boy.” She patted my head. Great. Now, I’m her dog again. “Call me Sica every day. Every time you address me, understand?” She said demandingly.

 

“Yes.” As if I could say no.

 

Then she encircled her arms on my neck to secure her body on my back and started humming as we made our way to the porch.

 

I found myself smiling slightly when I recognized it as one of our songs.

 

“When did you start writing songs?” Jessica asked all of the sudden, her voice barely audible. She’s probably getting sleepy again.

 

“When I was very young.” I said flatly. Last thing I wanted was to talk about song writing with a drunken girl.

 

“Did you… love composing?” She asked just before she gave a loud yawn.

 

I hesitated before I answered. “I did.”

 

“That’s good. I love your songs.… It’s like…” I peeked at her from the corner of my eyes. Her eyes were barely open when she spoke. “…I could feel them.…” I felt my heart skip a beat. “.. Have I told you that before?” She asked, her breath bouncing on the skin of my neck.

 

“N-No. You didn’t.” I stuttered as I shivered from the sensation.

 

“Well then…. I told you now.” She rested her head completely on the crook of my neck.

 

I stared aimlessly as I jerked up to raise her body into a steadier position. I didn’t speak when we arrived at the porch. I just pushed on the door bell when Jessica muttered in a whisper.

 

“Oppa…”

 

“Hmm?”

 

“Oppa….”

 

“Hmmm?”

 

“Oppaaa-ah..”

 

“Yes, Sica?”

 

She shook her head timidly. “Nothing…. I just want to hear your voice.”

 

I smiled. Sometimes this brat could be weird and cute at the same time.

 

“Oppa?” She muttered again after a moment of silence.

 

“Neh?” I answered tenderly, too tired to sound indifferent.

 

“Your voice… can I hear it… forever?” Her sweet voice echoed in the serenity of the night but even before I could reply 'Of course', she fell completely asleep and I spent the next minute listening to the maid that opened the door screaming frantically.

 

“Yul-ssi found her! The Young Lady’s back.Oh my God! What happened to her?" She gasped when she saw Jessica's intoxicated state.

 

"She's drunk, obviously. What took you so long? And where are the others?" I inquired about scanning the vicinity. There's no one else except the one who opened the door for us. 

 

"Most are out searching for the Young Lady. Lay her on the couch for a while I'll just go get someone to carry her."

 

"No need. I'll carry her to her room."

 

"Oh. Okay." She sighed in relief. "I'm so glad you found her. Sr. Jung will go rampage if we don't find her. Especially after what happened."

 

"Why? What happened?"

 

"The Young Lady ditched her own engagement party. That's what happened."


 

 


A/N: Jessica looks drunk here. Kekeke.

BMfHqYccYO7M5pWkdhHYZxYthcH3bo5EXTvVDpOnWp9K4S4h_wwC-D9wwd-KTh1pQKfXtLrSgCM08349WSIm4Kk876a8Lvng_gWJMzUer6rbD3j7uhsEEyFstCDLPxHNPVSuE4Nx

And yes I know, the forever thingy is so cheesy.

So how's the story so far, guys?

Thank you all for reading.