Taking Milestones in Baby Steps

There's a Tomorrow with You

It's in early winter the next time Minseok and Joonmyun have managed to find an entire week they can take off work together and spend with Luhan. They had managed to find a week before the Christmas rush where they could have time for themselves, holed away in their home and do nothing but spend every moment with each other. It's a much needed and deserved break before the winter season really rolls in.

They're pressed side by side on the floor, backs pressed against the couch and hands wound tightly together. Minseok noses into the knit of Joonmyun's sweater he's wearing, breathing in the scent of fresh laundry. Joonmyun's dressed in his sweater, his favorite white knit with the red and blue geometric print around the collar. Luhan is animatedly babbling away to himself and his stuffed teddy bear (which definitely needs a good pass through the laundry, Minseok notes).

Minseok leans his head against his husband's shoulder, a smile tugging at his lips because now would be just perfect if Joonmyun would kiss him. He knows Joonmyun can't resist kissing him when he smiles.

"Why don't we take more days off like this?" Joonmyun asks, adjusting the frames of his glasses on the bridge of his nose. Just last week they had to change his prescription because his eyes were getting worse. ("It's because you're still shoving your face into books in the middle of the night! You aren't even in medical school anymore!" Minseok had chided as they picked out new frames from the shop.)

"Because we can't afford more days off," Minseok sighs, tugging at the loose strings of Joonmyun's sweater and threading them around his fingers.

Joonmyun turns to him with bright eyes and presses his lips against Minseok's, and it's putting his heart in knots. The feeling hasn't ever gone away since they'd had their first kiss. And every kiss now is like their first, erratic hearts and the warmth bursting in his chest like fireworks every time it happens.

"We'll just have to make the best of today and this week, then," Joonmyun whispers, pulling him in for another breathtaking kiss and Minseok is so happy because how warm he feels doesn't even compare to the heat of the sun.

Luhan manages to catch their attention with an excited flail of his arms and the teddy bear in his grip flies into Minseok's lap. Luhan firmly plants his feet into the ground and tries to push himself up on his wobbly legs. Minseok is in awe, holding his breath as Luhan stumbles forward and his knees fold underneath him and he crashes to the ground.

He looks like he's about to cry, and Minseok truly fears that he might, but he stands up again, knees still unsteady but eyes firmly set on his teddy bear. He takes one step forward and Minseok feels an embarrassing gasp leave his mouth. They've both stilled as Luhan just laughs and takes another step, hands outstretched and step after step follows until his knees fold underneath his weight and he comes crashing down into Minseok's lap, giggling with bright eyes and his teddy bear clutched tight to his chest.

"I can't believe we just watched that," Joonmyun says, running his fingers through Luhan's tuft of black hair and pressing a kiss to the back of his head. "We have to make him do it again."

And they do, making sure to videotape it this time. Luhan is a little steadier and the temptation of his teddy bear is still so large that he runs and trips over himself- luckily, Joonmyun catches him proudly and swings him in his arms and presses kisses all over his face.

"Ah, my little boy. My baby prince," Joonmyun whispers. Minseok gets that warm heat bursting in his chest again, just like when Joonmyun kisses him. It's like nothing in the world outside their home matters but this very moment.

Joonmyun's face scrunches up and he immediately shoves Luhan at Minseok as far as his arms will let him when he catches the scent of Luhan's diaper. "Oh god, I did not sign up for this part," he groans, trying to forcefully shove Luhan into Minseok's hands.

"Hey! You know the rules. You smelled it so you change him." Minseok slowly backs away with a mischievous glint in his eyes and Joonmyun starts to chase him around the house, ing Luhan at him as they round corners and sprint through hallways. Luhan can't help but squeal and laugh and flail his little arms and legs around, not understanding the new height above the ground that he's gained but enjoying the sound of laughter filling up the house.

This, Minseok knows more surely than anything, is true love.