It's Just the Three of Us

There's a Tomorrow with You



It's been a rough day at work. Joonmyun had been on call the night previous and had spent the entire night in the emergency room waiting for cases to come bursting through the door, running on absolutely no sleep. He'd had two anaphylactic shock cases come in, a case, and a con heart disease relapse, and that was more than enough to deal with for the entire night.

And even after his shift was over, he still had to make rounds for half the day, revisiting his patients throughout the ward before they were transferred to a more appropriate ward. Once his rounds were finished, he then spent the entire afternoon holed away in his office, catching up on records that have been piling up for weeks.

He's tired. His feet are weighed down as if by lead as he climbs up to his apartment, briefcase feeling like it's been filled with boulders. He's sure as soon as the couch comes into view, he'll crash right there.

When he unlocks the door, he finds his apartment oddly silent for five in the afternoon. Minseok should've picked up Luhan from preschool already and Luhan would already be eating dinner around this time or excitedly chatting at the kitchen table as Minseok attempted to put together dinner. But there wasn't a peep, not even a shuffle of feet across the floor nor a single bit of laughter from anywhere in his house.

It's oddly a little cold.

He dumps his briefcase by the door and kicks off his shoes. "Hello? Minseok?"

He hears the soft pitter of padded feet running across the floor and soft, urgent whispers of "No, Luhan, not yet!" but it's too late when the little four year old appears around the corner with a party hat on his head.

"Happy birthday, daddy!" Luhan squeals, jumping into his father's arms and Joonmyun only has seconds to make his sluggish body move before Luhan falls through his fingers. Luckily, he catches his son and lifts him into his arms.

He takes in Luhan's birthday hat, the ones with Mickey Mouse printed around the sides that they had used for Luhan's third birthday party, and Luhan's shirt, the one Yifan had bought for the toddler that said 'I'm daddy's special present!'.

Birthday?

Luhan's pressing insistent kisses all over his face as Minseok walks in with a Mickey Mouse party hat atop is head. He looks mildly embarrassed, hands fidgeting at his sides to take the hat off. He forcefully digs his hands into his trouser pockets to stem the desire.

"Happy birthday, dad," he mutters, coming up from behind Luhan and wrapping his arms around them both. Joonmyun still feels entirely stunned.

"Birthday?" he asks dumbly, quickly making his way to the kitchen to find a single balloon tied to his normal spot at the table and a birthday cake with the candles for 3 and 4 shoved into it. "Mine?"

Luhan laughs excitedly, kicking his feet in Joonmyun's hold. "Silly daddy, today's your birthday!"

Minseok chuckles, ushering Luhan back onto the ground so he can be put in his booster seat and they can eat. Joonmyun still feels a little dumb, looking at Minseok and then at the birthday cake on the counter. He had completely forgotten. But his parents hadn't called him, Minseok's parents hadn't said anything, none of his coworkers said anything, even Yifan didn't text him about it. Not a single person had reminded him it was his birthday.

"Daddy, sit down!" Luhan insists, tugging on Joonmyun's hand and dragging him into his chair. The balloon knocks into the wall and rebounds off his head as he takes his seat.

"I completely forgot," he mutters. His stomach instantaneously growls from his favorite food placed on the table and he can't even remember the last time he had a decent meal. All too eagerly he spoons a mound of rice into his mouth and too many spoonfuls of everything on the table.

"It's a good thing you have us then!" Luhan cheers around a mouthful of rice. Minseok nods, ruffling Luhan's hair and wiping a bit of rice stuck at the corner of his mouth.

Joonmyun sighs, feeling so genuinely happy- like his heart could burst. "I sure am lucky to have you two, aren't I?"

Minseok looks at him with shining eyes, lips curling up and parting in a wide, lopsided smile. Joonmyun feels himself flushing at his husband's endearing smile, nervously pushing his glasses up the bridge of his nose. He coughs, trying to hide his embarrassment.

The dinner passes pleasantly enough; somehow, Joonmyun is able to keep himself awake long enough to make it through singing happy birthday. That's the part Luhan is most excited about, eagerly bouncing in his chair, because even though Minseok keeps telling him he can't blow out the candles because it isn't his birthday, Luhan still thinks he can do it anyway.

Joonmyun of course lets Luhan blow out his candles with him. Minseok pulls out their camera and takes copious photos. And once the lights come back on, Luhan's already got his entire fist in the cake, grabbing for a piece and shoving it into his mouth.

"Luhan!" Minseok chides, frantically glancing around the kitchen for the baby wipes. Luhan looks extremely embarrassed, eyes welling up with tears as he awkwardly sets the rest of the cake in his fist on the table. He looks up from Joonmyun's lap with wet eyes and a trembling lip and Joonmyun just knows the tears are going to start falling if he doesn't do anything soon.

"Shh, Luhan, baby, it's okay. Appa isn't mad at you, and you know that." But it doesn't calm the little boy too much because as soon as a tear falls, he angrily wipes it away, leaving chocolatey smears on his face. Somehow, Luhan had grown to be extremely sensitive to things, but Joonmyun liked to think it made the little boy all the sweeter. Even if they did have to put up with more tears.

Minseok tries to smile gently as he cleans off Luhan's hands and face, telling the toddler that no, he isn't mad but it's Dad's birthday and not his.

"I'm sorry, daddy. I ruined your birthday, didn't I?" Luhan mutters, sniffling quietly and eyes plastered to the floor. Sometimes, Joonmyun wonders where Luhan got being so mature from.

He wraps his arms around his son, feeling Luhan shudder in his grip. "Of course you didn't, baby," he says, kissing every piece of Luhan he can without breaking their hug. "You made my birthday just perfect. I almost didn't have one if you didn't remember and help appa do all this for me."

Luhan visibly brightens, happy smile coming back and eagerly placing happy kisses to Joonmyun's cheek. He giggles and flips himself around to finally have his own slice of cake.

"Go ahead, Luhan. You can eat it now," Minseok says, laughing as Luhan eagerly digs into the cake. It seems like wiping his face was pointless as by the time Luhan's done inhaling the chocolate cake, there'll be more chocolate on his face and clothes.

When they've all had cake and the plates have been cleared, Joonmyun is beyond tired. The sugar in the cake had easily worn off and even the coffee he had alongside it is next to useless. It's like the sugar and caffeine had left him more drained than before.

"I think someone's ready for bed," Minseok says, glancing at Luhan who is still sitting upright at the table. The boy's head keeps bobbing off to the side before immediately jerking, then swaying precariously to the opposite side.

Luhan groans as he's picked up in Joonmyun's arms, but it's almost like reflex that his hands circle around Joonmyun's neck. Minseok comes to slide the party hat from Luhan's head and press a kiss to Joonmyun's cheek.

"Happy birthday, Joonmyun," Minseok mutters against his skin, pressing a kiss to the corner of his mouth.

Joonmyun turns to fully face Minseok and presses a kiss full on his lips, feeling his heart flutter in his chest and burst like fireworks. "Thank you," he whispers, readjusting Luhan in his arms and pressing another kiss to Minseok's lips.

"Don't mention it," Minseok says. He presses a final kiss to the crown of Luhan's head and moves away to pack the cake into the fridge.

Joonmyun sets off to getting Luhan into bed, turning on the night light and tucking his son under the covers. Luhan looks so small in his toddler bed, big comforter swaddling him like a baby again. But Luhan's got the cutest little smile as he around the thumb in his mouth as he drifts into sleep alongside his stuffed animals.

He quietly shuts the door and pads into his own room, immediately falling on the bed as soon as it comes into sight. The energy seeps so fast from his body that he doesn't even notice Minseok crawl into the space beside him and pull the covers over them both.

But he sleeps with a smile on his face, wrapped in his husband's arms to the tempo of Minseok's heartbeat. Nothing gets better than this.

 

 

 

 

 

 

A/N: look! an update! isn't this amazing! xD so sorry it took so long but im slowly working back into writing some more drabbles, even if exams are coming up OTL anyway, expect another drabble soon!

+twitter (you can now find me on twitter!!! let's be friends!!! yes!!!)

+tumblr