Airplanes

There's a Tomorrow with You

"Airplane!" Luhan shrieks, bouncing excitedly by the window as the plane pulls into the terminal. Joonmyun has his hands hovering protectively around Luhan's waist as the little boy presses his face to the cold glass and continues shouting at the plane. Minseok is trying to shush Luhan, but the two year old can't focus on anything other than his mindless babbles about the plane.

The overhead intercom suddenly buzzes, a piercing screech ringing through the air. Boarding will start soon so Joonmyun sticks Luhan's small arms through the straps of his Donald Duck backpack and hands him the yellow bulldozer strewn to the side in the excitement. He gathers the toddler up in his arms, yet Luhan continues grabbing for the window, crying for the airplane.

"We'll get on there soon, Lu," Minseok says as he stands behind Joonmyun, ruffling Luhan's black hair gently.

"No, Appa! Airplane!" Luhan continues to shout, squirming in Joonmyun's arms until he has to set Luhan down. The toddler takes off immediately, sprinting for the window on his short legs to gawk at the massive airplane set for the countryside. Joonmyun chases Luhan to the window before scooping him up with a grunt and carrying him back. The boy starts to whine, clinging to Joonmyun and kicking his feet around.

"If you'll be a good boy, Luhan, you can eat your cupcake on the plane, okay?" Minseok promises, subconsciously feeling Joonmyun's backpack for the plastic container. Luhan perks up at the promise of sweets, nodding excitedly because a perfect vanilla cupcake with rainbow sprinkles is waiting for him.

The intercom buzzes again, the desk attendant looking pointedly at Minseok and Joonmyun as she announces those with kids and those who need extra time to board can go ahead and enter the plane. Minseok looks away sheepishly until Luhan's screeching reaches his ears. He hikes up his backpack and trails behind his husband on the boarding dock- who is already running after Luhan who had managed to wiggle out of his husband's arms and run down the tunnel and straight into the plane.

"Plane! Plane! Plane!" Luhan cheers as more people begin to board. He plops down on his seat next to Joonmyun and presses his face to the window again. He can't sit still long enough for Joonmyun to buckle him in as he's already rummaging through his Donald Duck backpack and absentmindedly grabbing for his cupcake in Joonmyun's backpack.

Joonmyun sighs, rubbing his tired eyes as he pats Luhan's head. Only an hour flight and they can finally reach Minseok's parents' home in the countryside and put Luhan down for a nap. He side glances Minseok, seeing a mirror of his own tired eyes. But his husband gives him a reassuring smile, one that makes a comforting heat spread through his chest.

After the last of the people take their seats, the doors shut and the flight attendants make their final checks down the aisles. Luhan is still bouncing in his seat, cuddling his backpack and spewing a thousand questions a minute about planes and how they fly and why Donald can't fly. Joonmyun can hear Minseok chuckling, even over the intercom, as he tries to explain everything to Luhan in hushed tones. It soon becomes like talking to a wall when Luhan finds his yellow bulldozer suddenly amusing and begins to make it fly like an airplane.

"An hour and a half, Minseok? Why do your parents live so far away?" Joonmyun whines. A headache is already beginning to form and they've only made it through the first leg of their trip. He still has to survive through the plane home.

Minseok simply laughs and pats Joonmyun's hands comfortingly. "We'll make it. I'll bet you ten bucks Luhan will fall asleep half an hour in." A smirk spreads wide on his face as his eyes gleam mischievously.

"You're on," Joonmyun says, just as the plane jerks forward and begins to pull out from the airport. He has to shush Luhan again as the toddler begins to shriek at the moving plane. Luhan waves bye to the airport and to the planes and to the people on the ground, then laughs giddily as the plane shoots upwards for the sky. He only begins to quiet when the plane soars through the clouds at a less turbulent altitude.

Joonmyun is thankful for the moment of peace, finally able to think without Luhan's shrieks or cries breaking his train of thought. He closes his eyes and naps for an entire minute, undisturbed and as relaxed as anyone can be on a plane made for elves. Minseok is watching Luhan adoringly, smiling softly every so often as Luhan mumbles something to himself or plops on his chair to play with the bulldozer on his lap.

"Daddy, cupcake now?" Luhan pouts, eagerly crawling out of his seatbelt and into Joonmyun's lap. The plastic container pops noisily as Joonmyun pulls it out and hands it and a fork to Luhan. The toddler then giggles excitedly and hops off of Joonmyun's lap and plops onto Minseok's. At least the cupcake can keep Luhan quiet and occupied for a good ten minutes.

Joonmyun is able to relax for those ten minutes, if thinking of how long it'll take all three of them to get ready to visit Minseok's parents, how Minseok's parents will react to seeing Luhan for the first time, how much Luhan will cry when they leave, and if he and Minseok will have any time alone for themselves is counted as relaxing. Pondering whether to take Advil for his headache or not, he gets distracted by the sight of Minseok cradling Luhan, cooing appreciatively when Luhan eats the cupcake like he should.

"Is that your son?" the flight attendant asks as she stops the refreshments cart in the middle of the aisle. Joonmyun watches as Minseok smiles politely and nods, already knowing that the flight attendant, as many other people have, will dote on Luhan.

And Joonmyun always finds it secretly hilarious the way Luhan shies away from older strangers who coo at him and reach to pinch his cheeks. The flight attendant bends down, just to Luhan's height in Minseok's lap, and uses diminutives to get Luhan to say hi. Minseok is already beginning to flush pink as Luhan presses himself as close as possible and buries into Minseok's neck. The flight attendant inches closer until Minseok is squirming uncomfortably in his seat and Luhan is whimpering under his breath.

The flight attendant gives up, disappointment written all over her face under the smile plastered there permanently. Luhan detaches himself, looking relieved at Joonmyun before hopping out of Minseok's lap and bounding back over to his own seat and peeking out the window.

Only thirty minutes left of the flight and Joonmyun happily has his hand outstretched for the ten bucks placed into his palms. Luhan has become eerily quiet, shifting uncomfortably in his seat and whining under his breath.

"Appa," he whines, upset and restless as he crawls back into Minseok's lap. He curls up and grips Minseok's jacket tightly, letting out a few more grunts of displeasure. Minseok holds Luhan close, wrapping his arms around him and pressing kisses into his hair until Luhan manages to whisper, "Appa, I wanna go home."

Luhan begins to cry softly and Minseok tries to calm him down by rubbing his back and singing quietly, looking to Joonmyun for answers. He tries to put Luhan to sleep, because he's probably cranky about missing his nap as well, but Luhan starts to get louder.

"Shh, no need to cry, right? You're a big boy, aren't you?" Minseok whispers, pressing kisses to Luhan's wet cheeks. He runs his fingers through Luhan's tousled black hair, trying to think of things that'll get Luhan to quiet down.

Joonmyun feels his heart clench as a particularly horrible sob makes Luhan tremble in Minseok's arms. Minseok looks at Joonmyun, searching for answers to keep Luhan quiet but Joonmyun can't think of anything.

Minseok sighs, kissing Luhan's forehead again as he tries to wait it out. The attendants suddenly announce that the plane is going to land soon, and Minseok tries to use that as the incentive to get Luhan to calm down. And finally, Luhan does, asking if they really are almost there before calling himself a big boy, wiping away his tears and dragging himself to his seat so Joonmyun can buckle him up. He hugs his backpack and stares forlornly out of the plane, not making a single sound until they begin to land (to which he's back to babbling excitedly in a complete mood shift). Joonmyun is glad it is time to land because he can finally get some sleep (and Luhan will finally go to sleep) and maybe his pounding headache will finally go away.

Luhan is all too excited to finally get off the plane and run around. Everyone else exits the plane before Minseok and Joonmyun do, and it's once everyone leaves that Luhan straps his Donald Duck backpack on and storms out of the plane, running up the hallway and into the terminal. And Joonmyun is the one running after him again as Minseok tries to quickly gather their things and follow behind.

"Daddy! Daddy! I'm an airplane!" Luhan babbles as Joonmyun picks him up and balances him on his hip. Minseok sticks close by, close enough that their hands are intertwined secretly. Joonmyun knows Minseok's cheeks are tinted pink as he runs his thumb over the back of his husband's palm inconspicuously. And he knows what Minseok is thinking, that they have a lot of things to do because Luhan is a huge handful, but he leans in close and presses a feather light kiss to Minseok's cheek as reassurance.

Luhan continues to make airplane noises all through the terminal.

 

 

 

 

 

A/N: i think this has to be one of my favorites of all the drabbles in this series ><;;; toddler!luhan making airplane noises is such an adorable thing~~ only one more part to go and i'll think i should update it by tuesday~ the next chapter will mark the end, for now. If i do end up coming up with other things, then i'll mark the story unfinished and add it (it'll probably be more than just one drabble if i do add more). thanks for reading and let me know what you think ^^ <3