There's a Tomorrow with You

There's a Tomorrow with You

"Minseok, I'm home-"

Minseok is fast asleep on the couch, their two year old adopted son Luhan sprawled against his side and comforter strewn haphazardly across their bodies. With a hand clamped over his mouth, Joonmyun kicks off his shoes, dumps his briefcase by the door, and tosses his lab coat onto the small kitchen table. Toys littered the floor in his path to the couch, TV still blaring the 10 o' clock news (no doubt Luhan had whined that Pororo wasn't playing) and business files spread all over the coffee table.

Joonmyun plops by the couch, soft smile spread across his face as he watches his husband sleep. Five long years have passed since Joonmyun had found himself falling for the frequenter of the bookshop. The embarrassment still rises to his cheeks when he looks back and thinks of the many piles of books he had dropped on Minseok's account. The days in between grow blurry with the many bookstore embarrassments and coffee shop meet ups, but it takes a year and a half before Joonmyun worked up the nerve to ask Minseok out. And with another burning embarrassment (Minseok knows how to make him flush purposely now that they're married), he garnered enough courage to ask Minseok out.

His hands trace the growing creases along Minseok's forehead as he frowns in his sleep, the creases along the sides of his eyes and lips from always smiling. His palm flattens against Minseok's cheeks and runs the side of his face, prickling with heat when he feels Minseok's high fever.

With a thump that blares in his ears, Joonmyun's heart slams into his ribs when Minseok suddenly whines and rubs his eyes. He blearily looks around for a second until his vision clears and he finds a surprised Joonmyun just in front of him. He sits up, being careful not to jostle Luhan around too much, and tries to clear his head from the fog.

"Joonmyun," he croaks, voice still hoarse and drowsy, "I was sleeping. Why are you so late?"

Joonmyun lets out a silent chuckle, enjoying the way Minseok reduces to half his age when he's sick. Lost and unamused from being awoken, Minseok weakly slaps Joonmyun's shoulder before coughing and groaning about how much it hurts his throat. He should've pulled out his phone while he had the chance.

"I'm sorry," he apologizes, gently placing a kiss on Minseok's forehead, taking notice of Minseok's tired eyes. Work is busy for the both of them. Minseok has his own business to run and Joonmyun always seems to be on call at the ER. It takes a lot of effort for them to be there for each other, especially be there for Luhan, but they want it to work. This is the life they had wanted together.

Joonmyun looks over at his son, heart softening at how small and fragile Luhan seems while sick. His short, black hair sticks in all directions as his chest rises and falls, counting the seconds ticking away. He brushes his hand over Luhan's forehead, fingertips burning with his son's fever-

Luhan suddenly awakens, immediately crying because the full force of being sick comes crashing down heavily and he can feel his burning throat and body.

Minseok is chastising him for waking Luhan up at such late an hour and how much Luhan's wailing is making his headache worse, but Joonmyun sweeps Luhan into his arms and bounces him on his hip, placing kisses on his cheeks and rubbing his sweaty back to stop the tears from falling. Luhan only starts to quiet as Joonmyun softly sings while filling up yet another capful of medicine. He can almost see Minseok grimacing at the cherry-death liquid from the kitchen.

"If Luhan has to take it, so do you, Min," he says, holding Luhan closer to his chest and pressing gentle kisses into his hair. Grudgingly, Minseok stalks into the kitchen, cocooned in a comforter, and glares at Joonmyun before bracing himself and downing the thick, pink liquid in one shot. His eyes clench in distaste; a small smile tugs at Luhan's lips.

Minseok's eyes gleam with amusement. "My baby boy thinks watching his Appa like this is funny, huh?" he hums, inching closer and closer as Luhan's smile grows wider and wider until he places kisses all over Luhan and tickles his sides. Luhan squirms in Joonmyun's arms, laughing breathlessly and babbling for Daddy to save him from Appa. Joonmyun keeps his eyes trained to the scene to imprint in his mind and tuck it in a corner of his heart.

Luhan calms down enough to indignantly wipe the stray tears from his eyes and down the entire cap of medicine in one go, just like his appa. Joonmyun is already softy patting his back before he gags on the medicine. Luhan's small hands then curl around Joonmyun's neck as his head rests on Joonmyun's shoulder, already feeling sleep pulling him under.

"I'll take him to bed since I don't want you getting sick too," Minseok says, pulling Luhan out of Joonmyun's grasp and taking him to their shared bed. But Joonmyun has other ideas, quickly scarfing down the cold dinner left for him on the kitchen table, kicking off his work clothes, and climbing into bed behind Minseok.

It's undeniably warm but he still curls himself around Minseok and rests his hand on his husband's stomach. Luhan was already asleep again.

Minseok tries to turn around but gives up from the effort, instead mumbling something like "You'll get sick, but goodnight".

It's nice like this, he thinks. Even though both Minseok and Luhan are sick, these are his favorite times- spending nights with the both of them. Memories stored in his mind will soon be forgotten as Luhan grows older, as Minseok and Joonmyun themselves grow older, but the memories he tucks into his heart are timeless. He only wishes his heart was big enough to house every single memory.

After pressing a final kiss to Minseok's neck, Joonmyun falls asleep with a smile on his face.

 

 

 

 

A/N: 1013 words later and tadaaaa~~ i just think parents!xiuho is really cute >< and i really need to stop getting distracted by my longer oneshots i really wanna right but it just never happens :/ ah well, let me know what you think and thanks for reading! ^^ <33