From Start

There's a Tomorrow with You

 

"How lucky I am to have something that makes saying goodbye so hard."- A.A. Milne's Winnie the Pooh

 

 

Joonmyun doesn't awake to the sound of static, breathy laughs or cries or groans, not to the sound of babbles or screams coming through the baby monitor. He awakes to the irritating sound of his phone alarm and a cold space in his bed.

A helpful look to his phone says it's four in the morning and with eyes barely open, he rolls out of bed, taking half of the covers down with him as he lands on the floor inelegantly. He squints at the glare of his cellphone backlight as he looks for his glasses on the nightstand. The baby monitor, as well as his shirt, are missing, he notes as he struggles to untangle himself from the covers and slip his glasses on with clumsy fingers.

Sighing, Joonmyun rakes a hand through his unruly bed head and stumbles through the hallway to the kitchen. It's almost mechanical of going through the motions half awake to start up the coffee pot after years of doing it.

"Don't forget to make some for me too," Minseok shouts from the living room.

Minseok is always up an hour earlier with Luhan, sprawled on the carpeted floor as the six month old excitedly wastes his energy.

"No change from the normal," Joonmyun sighs, muscles groaning as he lays down on the carpet on the other side of Luhan.

"Nope," says Minseok, rubbing his eyes to force them open. Joonmyun watches the growing line of hickeys from Minseok's jaw to his collarbones as the latter adjusts himself on the ground. Even at four in the morning, Joonmyun can feel the sense of pride welling up in his chest.

"At least Luhan enjoys being up this early." Joonmyun murmurs as Luhan suddenly takes interest in his glasses. The baby rolls over to face him, wide eyed and spit dribbling from his toothless mouth, and begins to scoot towards him with a hand outstretched. He stays still, letting Luhan forcefully take the glasses from his face and play with them in his little hands.

(Joonmyun always has two spares after the first time Luhan took his glasses a month ago and broke it to pieces, causing him to become useless at work. What good is an ER physician when arteries start blurring together and threading a needle becomes infinitely more difficult.)

Minseok rolls over, pressing little kisses to Luhan's forehead. "I don't mind it so much. So long as Luhan's not crying- and it's not like I'm sleeping at this time anyway." Luhan squeals, proceeding to attempt to stick Jooonmyun's glasses and his entire fist into his mouth simultaneously.

Though Luhan wasn't quick to adjust to his new life, he had fallen into a routine after three long weeks of being in Korea. At just three months old, Luhan managed to consistently cry nearly every four hours in the night because everything was so new. It broke Joonmyun's heart every time he had to awake to Luhan's tears. And the longer he stayed up in the night with Luhan to comfort him back to sleep, the more time he had to think about the future. There would be the time when Luhan would have to learn about how hot the oven is the hard way or how much fracturing an ankle would hurt. There would probably be the bullying and teasing for having two dads.There were sports games and music recitals Joonmyun could be that proud dad recording in the back. There would be the awards Luhan could hang around his room and the childish drawings Joonmyun would get to hang in his office.


And then there'd be a time when they'd have to let Luhan go. They'd have to let him out into the world without keeping him under their protective wing. Joonmyun would be flooding with pride and sadness, and maybe it would be Luhan's turn to comfort him then.

Joonmyun blinks at the sudden wet presence on his face. Luhan has a slobbery finger right next to his eyes, glasses in hand that smack against the side of Joonmyun's face as Luhan squirms. He lifts Luhan into the air, settling the squealing baby onto his chest and smiling affectionately at infinite eyes.

Luhan is okay now. Now, he's attached to Joonmyun and Minseok and enjoys being carried around and played with. He'll still cry sometimes when they drop him off at a daycare during the day, he will still cry at home when they put him to sleep in a room all alone, but the toothless grins and excited giggles are irreplaceable, even if Joonmyun has to pile up the patient files to the next day to hear Luhan laugh.

Minseok scoots into his side, curling against his arm and presses lingering kisses to his cheek. "I'm glad Luhan is happy here with us," he whispers, bringing his fingers to run through Luhan's black hair.

Despite the problems sure to arise in the future, the biggest concern now is holding Luhan close and giving him a family.

"I'm glad he's happy here too."

 

 

 

A/N: surprise! i know, it's a surprise for me too.. but i got myself enough motivation to write two new drabbles! so expect another update soon. also, i think im just going to leave this as incomplete... it's too much trouble to keep changing the status so i'll just update this whenever i've got more to add ^^ :3 let me know what you think and thanks for reading ^^