Nightmares

There's a Tomorrow with You

It starts with soft whimpers that Joonmyun thinks he imagines in the middle of the night. His eyes are already beginning to close until he knows he hears Luhan whimpering. The toddler has begun crying for him, and it's woken up Minseok as well.

His gut is twisting itself in knots with his heart because something is horribly wrong. He flips off the covers and sprints down the hallway, barely registering anything other than Luhan needs him.

He gently opens the door to check for danger in Luhan's room and as to not startle the boy. But Luhan is wailing, calling for him from his bed where the tears are streaming down his flushed cheeks. Immediately, Joonmyun goes to Luhan's bed and picks up his son, calmly shushing him as he rocks him back and forth to quiet him again.

Luhan trembles against his body, arms shakily wrapping around his neck and hands finding purchase on his baggy shirt. He buries his face into the crook of his dad's neck and cries so loudly that it worries Joonmyun so much. Joonmyun feels like he'll be sick because Luhan had scared him so much and now his guts are tying themselves together tighter, making his stomach churn ferociously. His heart feels like it's being smashed with a sledgehammer.

Minseok steps quietly into the room, worry written blatantly on his face, but Joonmyun mouths for him to go to bed again. He looks skeptical, but puts faith in his husband and wanders back down the hallway to their bedroom.

Still trembling in his arms, Luhan's tears continue to fall while Joonmyun draws calming circles on the toddler's back. Luhan only coughs and sputters before he resumes crying. Luhan tries to speak while Joonmyun is walking around the room rubbing his back and singing softly, but the words are caught in his throat.

Joonmyun wanders out of the bedroom, still gently singing lullabies his parents had sung him when he was Luhan's age, and makes his way to the kitchen to fill up a glass of water. As his singing slowly begins to increase in volume, Luhan's tears begin to subside. He hiccups and lets out a few more broken sobs before holding the cup of cool water in his trembling hands. Joonmun holds the cup as well and helps Luhan take a sip so his shaky hands won't drop the glass. He smiles when Luhan's tears begin to stop.

His heart finally starts to ease, the churning in his stomach becoming less painful. But looking at Luhan with tear stained cheeks and swollen, red eyes makes his heart ache. It's something, he firmly decides, he never wants to see again. He wants to only see Luhan's precious smiles and bright eyes, so he'll do whatever he can to make sure that a smile never leaves Luhan's face.

He continues to rub Luhan's sweaty back and slightly damp hair, singing him every lullaby he can think of. He sits down on the couch, leaning back against the armrest so Luhan can curl up comfortably in his lap.

"Lu, what's wrong?" Joonmyun asks worriedly, feeling himself choking on his own words as he speaks them. His chest becomes so tight with every tear that falls from Luhan's eyes and he just feels so helpless.

The two year old sniffles before yawning and pressing himself into Joonmyun's shoulder and stuttering that he had a scary nightmare about the dark. Joonmyun presses kisses into Luhan's black hair, telling him that there's nothing scary in the dark. Luhan tries to protest, but sleep is already starting to tug at the corners of his consciousness.

"Luhan," Joonmyun mutters, feeling Luhan's even breaths against his neck, "do you want to sleep with me tonight?"

Luhan slowly nods, yawning and rubbing his eyes at the last of his tears. Joonmyun presses a couple more kisses to his damp cheeks before quickly taking him to the bathroom in his arms and washing the tears from his face with cold water. He promises that tomorrow, they'll get a train nightlight that'll keep the darkness away.

Luhan is already asleep by the time Joonmyun has quietly made it to his own bedroom. Minseok is pretending he's asleep, Joonmyun can tell, because he's probably worried sick about Luhan as well. He shifts in the bed so he's facing where Luhan lies in the middle. Joonmyun crawls in after and wraps a secure arm around Luhan's torso, preferring to hear the light snores rather than the tears.

With Luhan's even breaths and timed risings of his chest, it doesn't take long for Joonmyun to drift to sleep once more.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

A/N: That marks the  end FOR NOW. I don't know if I plan to keep doing drabbles or not, but maybe as breaks from writing longer things i might. If I do add more, like i mentioned before, I'll mark the story incomplete and then add 2-3 more drabbles ^^ but for now, it is complete~ thanks for reading and enjoying all the fluff!