Sungmin

At Rainbow's End [on HIATUS]

 

Sigh.
 
 
Another sigh was heard and Donghae, who has been looking at his brother, groaned in annoyance.
 
 
"Goodness! Hyung, I am just asking you to come with me to the ball and it's taking you too long to answer. I've counted fifty sighs already. Tell me what's bothering you."
 
 
Finally, his brother looked at him and Donghae showed the older his gummy smile. He paused when his brother only looked at him with an expressionless face. It scared him. Usually, his brother is a very talkative and lively person.
 
 
"Hyung, what's wrong?" Donghae asked carefully.
 
 
"I don't want it, Hae." His brother answered and looked again at the twinkling stars in the sky.
 
 
Donghae furrowed his brows in confusion. "What do you mean hyung?"
 
 
"I will be getting married."
 
 
Donghae gasped in shock. Did he hear it right? But it's so sudden. His brother had been proposed to by a lot of men and women alike in their palace, but he always turn them all down.
 
 
"Hyung, if you don't want it, you can always tell him or her. You had always done that before."
 
 
"But it's not like before. Father is the one who chose him." His brother sounded gloomy as he averted his gaze towards the crystal ball on his side, showing an image of the world that he always dreamed and longed to live; the place where he can be free from his Father's rules, where he can be himself and not worry about anything. "I wonder how it feels like to live on that beautiful world."
 
 
Donghae was about to say something when they heard a soft knock and the leader of the palace's guards entered the room. He bowed immediately in front of the two brothers.
 
 
"Your majesty, the King wants to talk with Prince Sungmin."
 
 
"You don't need to always do that, Kangin hyung. Please stop being too polite in front of us." Sungmin said and he stood up from his seat and patted Kangin's shoulder. The latter only smiled in return.
 
 
"How about the ball, Hyung?" Donghae pouted his lips as he remembers the sole reason why he talked to Sungmin. 
 
 
Sungmin turned towards his brother and winked. "You can always ask Yoona to accompany you."
 
 
Donghae rolled his eyes and whined. "Hyung, she's too clingy!"
 
 
"And so are you." Sungmin retorted back before closing the door of his room behind him. 
 
 
 
~*~*~
 
 
 
The king was pacing back and forth in front of Sungmin. He was totally furious and Sungmin didn't dare to speak or ask anything. He somehow knows what the reason behind the King’s anger is.
 
 
"How long?"
 
 
The King suddenly asked and Sungmin stared at his Father's angry gaze. The King hit the table loudly when his son did not bother to answer him, making the latter flinched in surprise.
 
 
"For how long have you been going to that dirty world?"
 
 
Sungmin swallowed hard in both fear and anxiety. The king knew already and he can't afford to see his brothers and friends being locked up in a dark cell for going along with him. He remained quiet, even though he was dying to tell his father that it's one of the heavenly places that he had been to. Not a dirty one that the king used to tell them.
 
 
"Answer me, Sungmin! Or I'll punish and lock all of you in that dark cell again." The king threatened.
 
 
With fear that his brothers and friends would be punished, Sungmin looked at his father. "I've been there many times. Donghae and Ryeowook, as well as the others, had nothing to do with it. It was my entire plan."
 
 
SLAP!
 
 
Sungmin gritted his teeth from the stinging pain that he felt on his left cheek. How many times his father did hit him? Countless of times that his body had been immune to it.
 
 
"How dare you betray your own father?!" The king growled.
 
 
"I did not betray you."
 
 
Another slap and Sungmin just lowered his head. "Going to that dirty world is not betraying me? How dare you! I won't let this happen again. You are going to get married to Siwon three days from now to stop your craziness!"
 
 
Sungmin widened his eyes and looked at his father pleadingly. "No! Father, I don't want to get married with him. Please."
 
 
"You are not behaving like a prince lately, my dear son."
 
 
"Father, please. You can't do this to me." Sungmin pleaded, as tears slowly formed on the corner of his eyes.
 
 
"But I can. My decision is final. And you are not going to fool around with me again this time." The king replied before leaving the room.
 
 
Sungmin slumped his body on the cold floor as tears flowed down from his eyes, wetting his cheeks. He's going to get married to someone that he doesn't love in three days. He hasn't met Siwon. Heck! He doesn't even know anything about him. All he knows is his name. What if they are just like the other people who just wanted him for his looks and his body?
 
 
"Sungmin." 
 
 
Suddenly, a pair of arms wrapped him and began soothing his back. 
 
 
"Help me, Leeteuk hyung. I don't want to get married to someone that I don't know and love." Sungmin said between sobs as he clings at his cousin's shirt, like his life is depending on it.
 
 
"I'm sorry, Sungmin." Leeteuk kissed Sungmin's forehead. "I can't go against the King's orders."
 
 
Upon hearing his cousin's reply, Sungmin pushed Leeteuk away from him and get up. "Then leave me alone!" He shouted and ran out of the room, ignoring Leeteuk's call for his name.
 
 
As soon as Sungmin arrived at his room, he grabbed his bracelet, the thing that the wizard Heechul has given him and his friends as a passage to the other world. He stared at it and decided to go against his father's rules again. After all, he's going to get married soon and no one can stop the king. Why not become a rebel for three days?
 
 
He wiped his tears and used the bracelet.
 
 
"I'm going with you."
 
 
Before Sungmin could react, Leeteuk had already grabbed his arms and the colors of rainbow wrapped around them, bringing them to another world.