Can't Stand You

My Jerky Neighbor

Bolting down the now busy sidewalks of Seoul, I cursed under my breath.  That jerk-face Daehyun. That player, pretty boy, bi-polar, good for nothing jerk-face of a neighbor Daehyun. It’s all his fault that I’m running through the streets like a moron. If he hadn’t had freaked out at me before, I would be sitting nicely on my bus right now, headed for Sunhwa Arts. But no, I had to try to be neighborly and apologize to him even though I haven’t done squat to him. And he had to freak out at me and… well, whatever, it’s his fault that I was late and missed my bus. Right when I walked out of my apartment and laid eyes on Daehyun, I should have just punched him right then and there for being so rude to me before. Right square in his perfectly chiseled jaw.

 

 

***

 

At last I reached Sunhwa Arts, completely out of breath, but relieved. I had made it. Entering through the large, golden gates that had the Sunhwa logo branded on it, I felt like I was being admitted into heaven. Slowing to a stop as I set my sights on the school, my mouth dropped in awe. The entire outside area of the school was decorated with thousands and thousands of colorful flowers and beautiful, blossoming cherry blossom trees lined the building. The actual school was bigger than life itself and was certain parts of it were lined with a pearly white and red marble, letting it glisten whenever the sun hit it perfectly. It was utterly breathtaking. I noticed that there were also a lot of other students hanging around outside like I was, so a sense of relief set in knowing that I hadn’t been late.

 

As I continued walking around admiring Sunhwa, a loud ringing echoed from inside the building. I assumed that it was the bell, so classes would be beginning soon. Excitedly gripping my violin, I began making my way up the stone steps towards where my first class would be held. A group of giggling girls suddenly rushed past me, one of them slamming into my shoulder.

 

“Y-yah!” I shouted as they continued past me as if nothing had happened. “That hurt..."

 

I noticed a crowd was forming by the front gates of the school, and more and more groups of girls running towards that direction. “I wonder what's going on,” I said to myself. "Maybe it's some kind of celebrity." I glanced down at my watch. There’s still some time before class starts.

 

My curiosity had gotten the best of me, and so I made my way up to the mob of ever growing girls. Standing on my tip-toes, I tried to get a glimpse of what everybody was gawking at, but to no avail. I was too short. I managed to squeeze in between some of the girls until I had finally made it up to the front of the crowd. All of a sudden, a group of about six guys, no, six attractive guys, who were all wearing Sunhwa uniforms, came strutting through the school gates. The girls beside me started jumping up and down, squealing, and shouted things like, “Himchan oppa, you’re back!”, “Oppa we missed you!”, “Zelo, you look so cute!”, and “B.A.P hwaiting!” I was confused. Who are these people? And what’s a B.A.C or B.A.D or whatever? Then, my eyes nearly popped out of my head when I saw Daehyun was one of the six incredibly hot guys that had walked in.

 

 

He face still had the bruises and cuts from before, but I had to admit that he still looked incredibly attractive. His school uniform fit him perfectly, elongating his slim figure and he wore a confident smirk, which only added to his arrogant act. None of the guys stopped or seemed to pay any attention to the girls. A couple of them actually looked irritated. Suddenly, Daehyun looked my way and my heart froze in my chest when our eyes met.

 

 

I quickly glanced away hoping, praying, that he hadn’t noticed me. Daehyun whispered something to one of the guys walking in next to him who had brightly dyed blonde hair and wacky blue highlights, and both of them burst out laughing. Ignoring the confused looks of all of the girls and some of the guys that he had walked in with, Daehyun coolly strode his way over until he stood directly in front of me. I gulped as everybody in the crowd fell silent. All of the girls’ eyes were now burning into me, speaking a silent, ‘Who is this girl and what is Daehyun doing standing next to her?’ I felt like I was trapped under a spot-light. All eyes and ears were now only on us. Unsure of what to do or say, I cleared my throat and awkwardly looked around.

 

“I’m surprised you actually made it on time to school today. Did you enjoy your run?” Daehyun said breaking the silence. His lip began curling up into a sideways smirk. “Your legs are so short. I thought that you’d never get here.” Some of the guys that I figured to be Daehyun’s friends chuckled at his remark. I felt my cheeks burning and I only stood there dumbly as he let out a laugh and turned to continue walking.

 

Sudden thoughts of my father popped into my mind. “Always stand up for who you are,” he used to tell me. “Never let anyone put you down, especially not some dumb boy.” What if father saw me now? He would be so dissappointed.

 

 I clentched my teeth and it was as if something inside of me had burst. “Yah! Jung Daehyun!” I shouted, balling my fists. He turned around and cocked an eyebrow. The surrounding girls began whispering and some of them shot me glares, but I didn’t care.

 

Stomping up to him, I conjured up the meanest glare that I could. I was never really good at glaring, or looking mad in general, but this situation called for it. “I haven’t even known you for two weeks and I already can’t stand you,” I said through my teeth. He looked amused at my comment, which only caused the anger inside of me to boil even more. “You know something, those cuts and bruises on your face really suit you. They’re gross, ugly, and repulsive,” The smirk on his face disappeared. “It’s like your horrid personality is beginning to show through.” Daehyun raised his eyebrows and genuinely looked taken aback. I felt a sense of accomplishment knowing I’d successfully gotten to him.

 

 “Oh, and one more thing,” I added, about to leave. “This is for making me miss my bus this morning.” I brought my hand up and, using all of my strength, whipped Daehyun clear across the face. “There, you were missing a bruise.”

 

Turning on my heels, I quickly pushed my way back out of the crowd of now stunned girls before Daehyun even had a chance to react.