Pool Party

My Jerky Neighbor

After Daehyun and I had spent the day together at the amusement park, things were much less complicated between us. Daehyun hugged me when he wanted to, and he was now allowed to kiss me whenever he pleased; just not in front of anybody else. We had both agreed to keep us ‘going-out’, a secret. Neither of us wanted any of B.A.P to know, especially Himchan or Jongup. There’s no telling how they would react to that.

 

However, with Jongup’s pool party growing ever closer, I had more important things on my mind at the moment than worrying about hiding my new boyfriend. And before I knew it, the day of the illusive pool-party had arrived.

 

 

 

 

“Ahh, I have nothing to wear,” I whined, slumping over onto my apartment’s narrow front desk.

 

Donghae looked over his usual morning newspaper. “For what?”

 

“There’s this party later tonight,” I sighed. “It’s a pool party. And I don’t even have a swim suit.”

 

Donghae gave a quick laugh, folding and setting down the newspaper as he sat up in his chair. “Well, that sounds like a problem. Why don’t you just go buy a swim-suit?”

 

“I wish I would have. I honestly forgot all about the party until last night when Daehyun asked me if I was going. And the party starts at 4:30 today, so I don’t even think I don’t have enough time to buy one now,” I groaned, plopping my head back on top the counter in defeat.

 

Donghae placed a hand on my shoulder. “I’m sure you’ll figure something out.” Blinking and perking up like he had just realized something, he continued. “Wait, so… are you going with Daehyun?”

 

“Well, no. I’m hoping to just meet up there,” I brushed my bangs away from my eyes, thinking if it would be alright to actually be seen with him at the party. Daehyun lacks self-control, so hopefully he’ll be able to repress the urge to give me my daily hug in front of everybody.

 

“Is Daehyun coming home tonight then?”  Donghae asked, leaning forward.

 

I picked myself up so that I could take a good look at him. “I think so.”

 

“Do you know what time?”

 

 

Shaking my head, I felt it odd that Donghae was suddenly so curious about Daehyun’s whereabouts. “Why? Did Daehyun do something?”

 

“Oh, no, no!” Donghae denied, sounding a little panicked. “I was just curious, that’s all.” Craning his neck to get a good view of the clock on the wall behind him, Donghae gasped. “Opps, I’m late for my appointment. I don’t know what time I’ll be home tonight, so if I don’t see you, have fun at the party!” Donghae rattled off, dashing out the door before I even had the chance to question him any farther. 

 

“What the…?” I gaped as the door that slammed behind him. I mulled over Donghae’s weird behavior for only a moment before my still unsolved problem resurfaced. “Crap! I still need something to wear!”

 

 

***

 

 

I took a deep breath, the soft fabric of the spring dress that I miraculously found in my closet suffocating between my clenched fingers. I don’t know why I felt so nervous, but as I made my way up the stone steps and neared Jongup’s house, I think I knew why. Eyeing the lights visual behind the huge mansion in front of me and hearing the party music blaring from the inside, this seemed like much more than just a pool party.  I was intimidated by the building in front of me’s sheer size. I guess I shouldn’t really be too surprised though, everyone seemed to be loaded at Sunhwa. Well, except for Daehyun and I.

 

Ringing the doorbell, I was almost instantaneously greeted by a bright smiling Jongup. Music blasted from behind him, groups of obviously tipsy people packed inside of the mansion’s main room. It was hard to hear, and I was barely able to make-out Jongup through the noise.

 

.“Yay, you’re here! But,” Jongup stared down at my wardrobe choice and grimaced. “You didn’t bring a swimming suit?”

 

“Ah,” I rubbed the back of my neck self-consciously, “I’m sorry. I didn’t really have time to buy one.”

 

“Oh, well that’s fine,” Jongup smiled softly. “There’s plenty of other things to do here. Uhh lesse… over there’s the dance-floor, there’s snacks in the kitchen, the pool’s outside if you still want to hang out by it, and there’s the Tiki hut outside too that serves drinks.”

 

“Thank-you,” I responded, attempting a smile. I was secretly very apprehensive about being here, but I didn’t want Jongup to see that. I’ve never been to an actual party like this. The closest thing was my 11th birthday party where my mom unfortunately invited a clown.

 

“Key-hyung!” Jongup’s eye’s lit up as he rushed past me out the front door to greet his newest guest, a completely overdressed for the occasion, yet well-put together blonde.

 

“Okay, I’ll just catch you later,” I mumbled, Jongup busying himself as even more guests piled out of the car that the first blonde boy had.

 

 

I hesitantly let myself inside of the house, unsure of where to go or really what to do. Half people were milling all over the place, many of them sipping on glasses of what looked like alcohol. It was getting much too crowded and loud in here to really think of much at all, not to mention the stench of sour liquor was almost unbearable, so I decided that I would head outside. At least then there would be room to breathe.

 

 

 

 

 

 

“Hey, look who it is,” Himchan sneered from behind the Tiki-hut, seeing me coming through the backyard doors.

 

“So?” Yongguk drawled, sounding uninterested as he poured himself another drink.

 

“It’s Daehyun’s girlfriend!”

 

“ _____?” Yongguk questioned, this time taking a look at me as I wandered aimlessly through the yard, completely lost. “But don’t they hate each other?”

 

“Aish,” Himchan grabbed a drink and hopped over the Tiki hut’s ledge, instantly being forced into the groups of people crowding Jongup’s yard. “You really are blind, aren’t you hyung?” he said over his shoulder before he disappeared into the mob.

 

“Yah! You punk,” Yongguk grumbled, taking a swig of the liquor. Swishing it around in his mouth, he pondered the thought of you and Daehyun being together. It didn’t really make sense at all. The company doesn’t allow for dating, and Daehyun knows this. And if you’re caught going out with somebody, you risk getting kicked out of the group. Only a complete idiot would even dare to break that rule... Yongguk chocked on the drink, at last coming to the realization of what was going on between Daehyun and I.

 

 

 

 

“Here.”

 

I flinched, surprised by Himchan who seemed to appear from no where. He cocked an eyebrow, his sharp features elongating because of this. His black hair was wet too, like he had just gotten out of the pool.

 

“Take it.”

 

 My eyes trailed down to the blood red drink he extended out for me to take.

 

“I don’t drink,” I said, declining his offer.

 

“It’s not so bad, see,” Himchan said, taking a large gulp out of the drink he was carrying in his other hand. “There’s hardly any alcohol in it, so it should be okay for a light-weight like you.”

 

I frowned and crossed my arms. “What’s that supposed to mean? I just said that I don’t drink, that doesn’t mean I’m a light-weight.”

 

“Whatever~” Himchan sang, this time completely downing his drink.

 

I pouted, annoyed as the cocky Himchan finished his drink with a smirk. Okay, one sip couldn’t hurt too badly, right?

 

“Give me that.” Grabbing the beverage meant for me from Himchan’s hand, I didn’t hesitate to swallow almost half of the drink in one gulp. I was instantly overcome with the flavor of stale cherries, the liquor leaving a crisp zing in the back of my throat. Though it was tart, it wasn’t half bad. I quickly downed the rest of it, but instead of receiving a satisfactory reaction from Himchan, his eyes widened and he appeared alarmed.

 

“You weren’t supposed to drink all of that…”

 

“Ahh,” I smacked my lips and shoved the cup back at Himchan. “Well, are you happy now?

 

“I guess,” he spoke slowly, his uncertainty showing through his cold exterior.

 

Though Himchan had offered me the drink, I had a sinking feeling that I shouldn't have taken it. “I have to go now,” Briskly bowing to the strangely stunned Himchan, I shuffled past him and back into the mass of other guests until I made it into the house once again.

 

I expected to be greeted by the stank of liquor and alcohol like last time, but for some reason, I couldn’t smell it anymore. It seemed to just disappear.

 

Jongup’s living room was twice as crowded as before, and though I desperately searched for Daehyun, Jongup, or just anybody familiar, I found no one. Somebody had brought strobe lights, which created a dizzying feeling that matched the loud, driving beat of the music. The entire living room had been transformed into a dance floor.

 

I watched as more and more guests joined the every growing sea of wildly dancing teenagers. They were able to let loose along with the music, their bodies obeying nothing but the melody. I debated whether or not I wanted to join them. I’m not much of a dancer, but it did look fun.

 

I took a step forward, but a queer feeling filled my head. The strong lights bursting around the room started to blur together. The noise and chatter from around me grew and faded with every beat of my heart. A faint buzzing sounded in my ears, and I don’t think that it was from the music. I shook the feeling off.

 

Someone grabbed onto my hand and spun my around. I was quickly pulled into a hug, a pair of warm arms encircling me. “Daehyun,” I gasped, unable to mistake the electric feeling of his body against mine.

 

Daehyun released me and grinned. “I was looking for you!” His pair of red and blue swim-trunks was dry along with his hair. By the look of it, he hadn’t even put one foot into the pool.

 

“You didn’t bring a swim-suit?” Daehyun looked at me and tsked. “I was waiting for you but it looks like swimming isn’t an option anymore. That’s fine. We can find something else to do.”

 

I was about to recommend that we go join the dance going on behind us, but I stopped myself. I liked Daehyun, but dancing with him like this… Everyone in that dance mosh-pit was up against one another so close you wouldn’t even be able to fit a piece of paper between them. Skin against skin, no one minded the other’s touch. Or they were too drunk to care.

 

“Oh! Let’s go dance,” Daehyun looked excitedly to me for permission.

 

It's as if Daehyun pulled that right our of my thoughts. I cringed at the irony. “Are you sure? There’s probably lots of other stuff to do here besides dancing,” I began to argue, but halted when the lights around me once again melted into each other. Daehyun went in and out of focus, his concerned profile only visible when stray lights hit it.

 

“Hey, are you alri-“

 

“On second thought,” I interrupted. “Dancing sounds fun.”

 

“Really?” The worry vanished from his face, childish excitement replacing it. “Let’s go then. I’ll lead the way!”

 

I let Daehyun take my hand, pulling me through the dance-floor until we reached a less crowded area. At the sound of the next song, he wrapped his arms around my waist, bringing my face closer to his. The bass burned through my ears, and like some sort of spell, it forced our bodies to move to it. Daehyun didn’t disagree, his hips gently rocking along with mine. Before I knew it, our lips had found each other yet again.

 

A sharp pain filled my head, all of the colors in the room spinning, circling together. I was in a whirl-pool of people, unable to get out. I pushed Daehyun off of me, but a warm sensation began to bubble up from inside of me. I felt so good all of a sudden. I didn’t know what was happening.

 

Breaking into a wide grin, I whacked Daehyun chest in a playful manor. “Yah! Why are so cute? Why is my boyfriend so cute?” I tried to hold in my laughter, but couldn't any longer. I could feel every sense of reality slipping from me.

 

Daehyun’s eyebrows creased as he took a step back from me. “What’s…wrong with you?”

 

“There’s nothing wrong with me. Nothing at all,” I moaned. Just then, one of the many people surrounding us bumped into me. I didn't have enough strenght to stop myself from falling straight into Daehyun’s chest.

 

“_____!” Daehyun squealed, pulling me off of him. “Are you drunk?”

 

“Oh, that’s what I am,” I barely was able to murmur as Daehyun dragged me from the dance floor.

 

Sitting me on a nearby chair, Daehyun hovered over me. Once he had finished looking over me he groaned in annoyance. “Why do you have to go and get all wasted like this? Now I have to bring you home.”

 

I didn’t fight against Daehyun as he slung my arm around his shoulder. Using all of his strength, he was able to successfully get me onto his back and stand up. I wasn’t even able to hold onto Daehyun’s neck for support, all control had left me. Sneaking out through one of Jongup’s mansion’s many doors, our exit had almost gone unnoticed, yet one person had been watching us the second we had joined the dance-floor. They left to join the party once again, trying to forget what they had seen, yet the image of Daehyun's lips plastered against mine stayed vivid in their mind.