Dance Off

My Jerky Neighbor

Zelo went to turn on some music and Jongup led me over to the practice area.

 

“Yah, hyung, we should make this into a dance off," Youngjae called over to Yongguk. "I wanna see how badly Daehyun looses," he said, prodding his friend who only returned his teasing with a glare.

 

"Sure I guess. Why not,” Yongguk sighed as he positioned himself at the far end of the dance-floor. “It's not like we have a concert to prepare for..." he muttered under his breath, yet it appeared nobody heard him. Stretching his arms ad feet out, he appeared to relax more. Seeming to enjoy his momentary break, he cracked a small smile. "Okay, so how about for each song, two of us can dance and the remaining people can judge and pick the winner of each match. Then, we’ll vote on the two best dancers and they’ll have a showdown. And  then finally, we’ll pick the winner.”

 

 

Everyone looked satisfied with the rules, except for Daehyun. He kept his sour expression as he plopped down on the floor next to Yongguk. “What do we get if we win?” he drawled, sounding bored.

 

“Winner buys everyone dinner?” Youngjae offered.

 

Some grumbles erupted in the group.

 

“Why would the winner buy dinner?” Himchan whined.

 

Youngjae shrugged. “Have any better ideas?”

 

Himchan pondered and reluctantly shook his head.

 

“It's a good idea.” Youngjae said. “Winner buys dinner. It even rhymes.”

 

A loud burst of music blasted through the loud speakers positioned around the room, causing a few of the B.A.P members to jump. Zelo eagerly scurried into the practice area, a look of utter excitement on his face. This is the first time I'd seen him so excited about something.

 

Yongguk briefly explained the rules of our dance battle to Zelo, which he happily complied to.

 

The first song ended, and the fresh, upbeat tune of the next one began. Zelo volunteered to dance first, and Jongup sprang up from next to me to join him. The two of them took center stage, everyone’s eyes now glued them. I was really anticipating what they would do and how they would react to the fast pace beat of the song. I’ve never seen either of them dance, but according to pretty much every girl in the school, B.A.P were all amazing dancers, especially Zelo and Jongup.

 

As the song reached its main chorus, I recognized it as SHINee’s ‘Lucifer’. I felt a twinge of envy towards Jongup and Zelo because they were going to dance to one of my favorite songs.

 

Jongup and Zelo, as if on cue, simultaneously began with a series of body rolls and shoulder pops. Zelo broke off into a fast paced, impossible looking string of foot movements. His upper body seemed to remain stationary as his feet and legs took on a life of their own. Jongup paraded across the dance-floor, kicking his legs back and forth to the rhythm and beat of the song. Zelo moved almost robotically, his limbs and joints bending to the bass. It was an amazing sight. I’ve never seen somebody dance this well before.

 

However, my attention was quickly taken by Jongup as he jumped down into a perfect splits. The crowd ooed and the look of triumph on Jongup’s face was plainly obvious. Rocking back and forth on his feet, his body swayed mesmerizingly along with Minho’s rap in Lucifer.

 

As the song came to a close, Zelo gave one last final shoulder pop before he stood back to watch Jongup. Seeing as all eyes were on him, Jongup couldn’t disappoint. Lifting his arms, he pulled his sweatshirt up, revealing a glimpse of his chiseled set of abs. All of the boys broke out into chaos, laughing and gaping in disbelief. Daehyun looked disgusted.

 

Jongup, as the song ended, finished with one final, captivating hip . Both he and Zelo flopped down, gasping for breath.

 

As cheers erupted from around me, I stayed glued to the floor, amazed. I didn't even know people could move like that...

 

“I say Jongup won that one,” Yongguk stated, analyzing his fellow bandmate's expressions. Zelo’s face fell, but he quickly perked up at the sound of the next song; ‘Gee’ by Girls’ Generation.

 

“I think Himchan should dance to this one,” Youngjae smirked.

 

“Yeah right,” Himchan scoffed, folding his arms across his chest. "And even if I did, who would dance against me?"

 

 

 

Standing up, I cleared my throat. “I’ll dance with you.”

 

Everyone’s eyes widened.

 

“What?” I shrugged, stepping out into the middle of the dance-floor. “This is one of the only songs I know the dance to.” I suddenly felt like a fool for being so forward, but it was too late to back down now.

 

Himchan raised his eyebrows, as if he couldn't believe that somebody had just challenged him. Forcing himself up from the floor, he found an open area on the dance-floor. Radiating confidence, he cracked his knuckles and gave me one last scowl before beginning.

 

***

 

Collapsing onto the ground, I desperately tried to catch my breath. I squeezed my eyes shut, feeling utterly drained. I now know why Zelo and Jongup had looked so dead tired before. Dancing really takes a lot out of you.

 

“Whoa! That was amazing,” I heard Zelo call.

 

Feeling somebody’s hand on my arm, I opened my eyes to see Jongup smiling down at me. Daehyun hovered behind him, a look of amazement etched all over his face.

 

Himchan flopped onto the floor next to me in a heap. He puffed his cheeks out and genuinely looked dejected as he ran his hand through his soaked with sweat hair.

 

During ‘Gee’, Himchan was winning by a long shot; his dance moves were superb. And since I was losing, I did the one thing I was truly good at doing, which was Tae Kwon Do. It didn’t match the cute, bubbly feel of the song, but my 360 degree jump spin round kick really seemed to impress all of the members. It was a dance off though, and Himchan was obviously the better dancer, so I felt a little bit bad knowing that I had won the match using martial arts. But either way, a win is a win.

 

 

 

 

We continued with the dance off, both Youngjae and Yongguk getting eliminated against Daehyun during the song, ‘Fantastic Baby’. Since there were only three of us left in the dance-off, we were beginning to get to the final matches. Daehyun, acting confident and cocky once again, challenged Jongup.

 

Yongguk and Zelo chuckled and shared a look. They knew who the winner of the next match would be. It was obvious.

 

Shockingly though, as the next tune began to play, Daehyun began singing along with it. My eyes shot open. He was the one with the spectacular voice. I hadn’t been able to recognize him before, but now, it was so obvious. His gorgeous, perfectly pitched voice matched his good looks to a 'T'.

 

As the song went on, I found that it wasn't familiar at all. All of B.A.P seemed to know it though, and they all sung along to it. The cheered and clapped along as both Daehyun and Jongup surged forward into a string of intense choreography that belonged to the song.  Diving down into a push-up position the thumped their fists into the ground, their bodies bobbing up and down to the beat of the music.

 

Jumping up, Jongup continued with his fancy footwork while Daehyun strut around the dance-floor, still singing his heart out. The song hit its , and Daehyun’s voice rang out brilliantly, chanting the words, ‘One shot, only one shot~’ over and over. I couldn’t keep my focus on Jongup any longer. All of my attention was on the person singing in front of me. I was kept mesmerized until the very last second of the song, Daehyun staring back into my eyes the entire time.