That Jerk

My Jerky Neighbor

I sat on the bus floor completely dumbfounded. Did that really just happen? I jumped up and scoffed in disbelief. “What a jerk! Who said I was checking him out?!" Muttering, I gathered together all of my bags and suitcases that had been sprawled out around on the bus floor. Checking him out? Give me a break.

 

 

 At last, I managed to drag my luggage with me off of the bus. Right as I stepped down, I was immediately thrown into an enormous sea of people. I quickly tried to make sense of my bearings, pushing through huge crowds of fast moving people. Reaching a clearing, I sighed and set down my bags, resting against an ally wall. Okay, Seoul was a little but more crowded than I had expected, but I guess that would be something that I would just have to get used to if I was going to live here.

From my spot in the allyway, I glanced down one of Seoul's streets.There were so many colorful things it hurt my head. Huge posters, banners, ads, brightly colored cars, and the large array of colorfully dressed people moving in unison along the sidewalks.  My eyes traveled upwards towards some of Seoul's gigantic skyscrapers and they suddenly made me feel very small. It was a cozy kind of small though, I felt trapped, yet safe and it seemed oddly familiar. I couldn't explain it in words except for it felt like I had arrived home after a long vacation. I knelt down and fished through one of my bags, finally managing to pull out the address and location of my new apartment. I stood up, studied the address, and then, shoving it back into my jean pockets, began heading in the direction of my new home.

 

 

It was around noon when I had finally come upon my apartment complex. Analyzing the apartments, I was slightly hesitant about entering. Every window was barred, and all of the doors had humongous pad-locks chained on them. The building itself wasn’t in exactly good shape either, with graffiti written all over the walls and piles of trash littering the ground.

‘Well… it could be worse, right? At least I have a place to stay,' I thought, trying to remain positive. Entering the front door, the only door of the complex that wasn’t padlocked, I slowly approached the desk clerk. He beamed brightly as he laid eyes on me. "You must be _____. I've been expecting you. Hang on a minute and I'll fetch your key."

Noddding wordlessly, I glanced at his name-tag. 'Lee Donghae,' it read. Donghae fished around in one of the drawers behind the front desk for what I assumed to be my room key. After much clanking and clattering from inside the drawer, a grin appeared on his face and he whipped out a room key. "Hah, finally found it! Now," he said while handing me the key. "Don't lose this because I don't have anymore copies of that one made," he added flashing a bright smile. He honestly looked too happy to be working in a dump like this. Once I gathered my luggage back together, I began to make my way up the rickety, wooden stairs that lead to my room.

 

Reaching my apartment, I threw my bags down and was about to enter my room, when I heard a voice speaking loudly from behind me. I spun around and to my horror, I saw the boy who had caught me earlier on the bus trudging up the stairs. He was now shouting into his phone, and to say the very least, he did not sound happy. He hung up his phone and I quickly spun around and pretended like I was intently looking through one of my bags, but my plan didn’t really seem to work as I heard his footsteps stop directly behind me.

 

"Yah, get out of my way."

 

I slowly turned around and peeked up at the now livid looking boy. When our eyes met though, his anger disappeared.

 

“Oh, you’re that girl from the bus,” the boy said with a hint of confusion.

 

I pulled myself up and propped my hands on my hips. “And you’re that jerk from the bus."

 

He burst out laughing, but then his fake smile dissapeared and he shot me a glare. “Hey, did you follow me here or something? I know I’m attractive, but that’s pretty desperate.”

 

I raised my eyebrows and snorted. “Do you really think I’d follow you here? I don’t even know you.”

 

“I’m Jung Daehyun, now you know me,” he spat.  “Now, would you get out of here before I call the cops on you? Following people around is creepy.”

 

“I told you, I didn’t follow you here. This is my apartment, and I just happen to live here now. Why are you being so rude to me?" I demanded, feeling myself starting to get angry. Who does this jerk think he is?

 

Daehyun glanced towards my bags that were laying on the floor and the room key in my hand and suddenly appeared horrified. Grabbing my hand, he raced down the stairs, forcing me along with him.

 

“What are you doing? Let me go!” I fought as he dragged me down the stairs and pulled me over to the front desk.

 

“Hyung!” Daehyun shouted.

 

 Donghae looked up from his work and his face was one of complete shock and confusion.

 

“Why is she moving into apartment 201? I told you that I didn’t want anybody else living in the apartments next to mine.” Daehyun tried to speak softly, but I could hear the anger boiling inside of him as he spoke.

 

I yanked my arm out of his grip. “I’m _____, not just ‘this girl’.” I said in disgust. "What's wrong with you?"

 

Daehyun ignored my question and continued staring intently at the Donghae “I’m not living next to her, so change her room.”

 

Donghae smiled apologenically.  “I’m sorry, but… it’s impossible for me to change her room now,” he confessed. “Miss _____ already filled out and signed all of her paperwork, so changing her room now would be incredibly difficult.” Noticing Daehyun’s unsatisfied expression, he added, “Not to mention it’s up to the manager to decide whether she can switch rooms or not.”

 

A vein popped out on Daehyun's forhead, his lips bending into a perfect frown. Breathing out through clenched teeth, he grumbled, “Whatever, I'll get her to move soon. But for now, just don't bother me.” He glared at me one last time before walking back up the stairs.

 

“Bother you? You’ve got to be-“

 

Before I had a chance to finish my sentence, Donghae spoke up. “Miss _____."

 

I turned to him, still clearly irritated. “What?”

 

“Don’t mind Daehyun. He leads a tougher life than you can imagine, and he's going through a lot of hardships, so try not to let his attitude bother you too much. He’s not normally like this.” he was smiling, but I could hear a faint bit of sorrow in his voice.

 

'Still, what have I ever done to him to deserve this treatment?' I wondered to myself. But looking at Donghae's expression, I could tell that it wasn't the time to ask that question. My anger only diminished and I silently nodded, not entirely sure of what to do.

 

“Anyways, you can go back upstairs and start unpacking. And just let me know if Daehyun bothers you again.”

 

“Ah, y-yeah. Thank you, I will,” I hesitantly laughed and made my way back up the stairs, thinking over what had just happened. ‘So, this Daehyun guy’s going through a tough time?’ I thought. ‘ The way I've seen him treat people so far, he probably deserves whatever 'tough time' he's going through.'

 

I opened my apartment door and tossed all of my bags listlessly onto the floor. Inspecting my room, I suddenly felt much better. Even though it was small and it was nothing but an empty room, I was finally here, my new home. Despite that Daehyun ruining my morning, I was determined to make the best out of the rest of the day. I began unpacking my bags and noticed a small window towards the back of my room. Smiling, I threw open the dusty curtains that covered it, allowing the ever stunning view of Seoul's skyscrapers to be seen through rusted metal bars.