A Game of Soccer Gone Wrong

My Jerky Neighbor

Biting my tongue and clenching my fists, I held in my rage as the entire class erupted in laughter. Daehyun cocked an eyebrow and gave me a challenging smirk. The hollow, simple cruelness of words sunk into me and it drove me crazy thinking that I had just let him insult me like that. I wanted so badly to slap Daehyun even harder than I had before, but I was reminded by of harshly cackling students around me and my clueless teacher that I wasn’t alone. I couldn’t just act so carelessly like I had before.

 

“That’s enough class, Daehyun, stop,” Mrs. Yang exasperated as she set down her clip board. “We don’t have time to waste, so let’s divide into teams and begin playing.”

 

 

Mrs. Yang went and fetched a soccer ball from the supply closet and we were divided into two teams. One of the guys who I took to be a member of that B.A.P group who had the bleach blonde hair and blue highlights was put onto my team. He didn't say much as he shuffled over to where our team was gathered. Besides a brief, shy smile when we locked eyes, he completely ignored me. I wondered how his quiet personality could differ so much from Daehyuns.

 

Once Mrs. Yang had finished reading off the teams, we got into our starting positions and the soccer ball was placed in the middle of the gym. Luckily, Daehyun was put onto the other team, and I felt the joy swelling inside of me knowing that I could now utterly destroy him at soccer.

 

 As the sound of the whistle, the skills that I had accumulated playing soccer everyday afterschool with my friends flooded back to me. The ball was drawn to my feet like a magnet, and it was as though it had a mind of its own, following my gentle guidance until I booted it into the other teams net, naturally scoring another goal.

 

Every time that I would get our team a point, the girls from the other time would muster up the worst stink eye they could and send it my way. At one point, the boy with the blue high-lights assisted me in a goal. As the point was called, a childish grin erupted on his face and before he trotted away to celebrate with the other teammates, he gave me a high-five. I noticed Daehyun in the corner of my eye. His lips were curled down into a frown and his eyebrows were sharply furrowed. With the renewed happiness of  that thought in mind, I began working even harder to score more goals.

 

As the game eventually drew to a close, my team was winning with a three point lead. Sneaking a peek at Daehyun, I was surprised to see him looking completely cool and composed.

 

“Mrs. Yang, we should have a sudden death round. That way, whichever team scores the next point will automatically win,” Daehyun nonchalantly offered while flipping his hair.

 

So that’s what he was after.

 

Some of the girls on Daehyun’s team happily agreed with his proposition, but I only rolled my eyes.

 

Mrs. Yang puckered her doll-like lips and tossed the thought around her head until she at last agreed.

 

Both of our teams got into our positions around the gym yet again and prepared for the last match. I was placed in the center line and would be kicking off the ball against, to my utmost happiness, Daehyun.

 

 

“Are you prepared to lose?” Daehyun whispered as he planted himself directly across from me.

 

I laughed to myself in disbelief. “And just whose team was losing before? If I can remember correctly, it was yours.”

 

“Your team just got lucky,” he stated simply.

 

Mrs. Yang, oblivious to the conversation that was going on between me and Daehyun, blew on her whistle before I had the chance to retort, sounding the beginning of the game.

 

Just as the buzzing of the whistle faded into a faint echo, Daehyun charged the ball, instantly stealing it away from its home in the center of the gym. Surprised, I sprinted off after him, weaving in and out of different team members, all of them just becoming a blur of color around me. Just as I rounded on Daehyun and prepared to steal the ball away, he abruptly stopped, causing my leg to catch on his. Toppling over, I found myself dazed, face forwards on the cold, gym floor.

 

“Hey, are you alright?” I heard a couple of my teammates ask.

 

One of the boys slowly helped me to my feet as more classmates gathered around me, curious as to what had happened. Clutching my throbbing head, I mustered a weak smile. “Yeah, I’m fine. I must’ve just tripped.” I narrowed my eyes at Daehyun, who only shrugged, completely unconcerned. I wondered if anybody else had seen Daehyun trip me, but as it seems that nobody else did, I just let out a long sigh as Mrs. Yang made her way over.

 

“_____, are you okay? What happened?” Before I had the chance to respond to either of her questions, Mrs. Yang gasped. “_____, you’re head’s bleeding! You must have had quite a fall. Quick, somebody, take her to the nurse!” she frantically searched the room before her delicately rimmed eyes rested on one person. “You, uhh...Daehyun, would you take _____ to the nurse?”

 

 

Daehyun’s eyes shot open and he opened his mouth to protest, but, realizing that the entire class’s attention was now on him, he quickly put on a fake smile. “Of course, it’s the least I can do for the losing team’s star player.” It suddenly struck me that not only had I completely tripped and fallen, but while I had been laying sprawled out on the gym floor, Daehyun had scored a goal on us. That meant that our team had lost and Daehyun’s had won the game. Of course.

 

I threw my head back in disbelief, but instantly regretted doing so as a surge of pain shot through my neck. Once again, I brushed off the glares from some of the girls and briskly exited the gym with Daehyun following closely behind. Reaching the hallway, I could just picture the huge grin he had plastered on his face right about now. Once we were safely out of ear-shot, I spun around.

 

“What's wrong with you? You know the only reason your team won was because you tripped me."

 

Daehyun raised his eyebrows and shrugged. "Probably."

 

"You're indesicive," I continued. "First you catch me when I trip and know you’re the one who trips me. Hey, are you bi-polar?”

 

 The edges of Daehyun’s lips tugged up until they formed a sort of half-smirk. “I’m not bi-polar, I just think it’s fun messing with your head.”

 

“Whatever,” I took my hands off of my hips and shoved them into my skirt pockets. “Just go back to class, I’ll find the nurse myself.”

 

I turned back around just in time to see Daehyun’s face morph into one of confusion and he stopped.

 

Turning back around, I continued trudging through the hallway. A small sense of pride filled me knowing that I had just successfully told him off. My eyes jolted open as a strong hand grasped onto my arm and pulled me backwards. I was taken aback to see a somewhat irritated looking Daehyun glowering down at me.

 

 “What are you doing?” Struggling, I tried to pull my arm out of his tight grip. “I said I can find the nurse’s office on my own. Let go!”

 

"Just be quiet," he said, unfazed by my whining.

 

Daehyun gingerly continued, now dragging me along with him, down the empty hallway. After much struggling, mostly on my part, we came upon the nurse’s office. He lightly wrapped his fingers on the nurse’s door. No answer. Once again, he knocked on the door, but this time, slightly louder. There was still no answer. Without a second thought, Daehyun pulled the door open, listlessly granting himself entrance.

 

“What are you doing?” I hissed. “We’ll get in trouble if the nurse finds us here alone. Lets just come back later.”

 

Daehyun disregarded my thoughts and brought me along with him into the dark, vacant room. Forcing me down onto one of the three small beds located throughout the cramped office, he began rummaging around inside of a tall, metal cabinet. Folding my arms across my chest, I narrowed my eyes at Daehyun and pouted. “If the nurse suddenly comes in here, you’re taking the blame for barging in without permission.”

 

“Yep,” he sarcastically drawled. Daehyun was still intently looking for something inside of the cabinet, and I wondered what it was. At last he stepped away from the cabinet with several bandages, cotton balls, and some gauze in hand.

 

“Geez, my wound’s not that bad,” I huffed. Bringing my hand up to my head, I shuddered when I felt a warm, dampness trickling down my forehead.

 

“Yes, it is,” Daehyun retorted as he went to the sink and began wetting the cotton balls. “I’m surprised you didn’t get knocked out from that fall back there. You must have a hard head.”

 

I could practically hear the smirk in his voice.

 

“Let’s not forget the one who tripped me in the first place!” I yelled. Picking up a pillow from next to me, I chucked it at Daehyun, causing it to hit the back of his head with a ‘thud.’ Turning around and eying me, he cupped the now soaked cotton balls in his hands. “So violent,” he muttered as he took a seat on the bed next to me.

 

Despite my pleading to wait for the nurse, Daehyun began to blot up my wound himself with some of the cotton balls. It stung occasionally when he would touch a certain part of my head, but I tried my best to endure the pain. He told me not to look at any of the used cotton balls because I would most likely faint due to how gross they were, but I found it painstakingly hard to focus on anything else.

 

“Just look at me,” he finally said, after he noticed my eyes beginning to wander again.

 

I looked up and met Daehyun’s eyes, but instantly regretted it. I only just realized how close we were to each other, but surprisingly, Daehyun didn’t seem to mind at all. As he continued blotting up my wound, I traced every one of his facial features perfectly in my mind, and admired how handsome he really was. The soft, pinkness of his lips shown through, and his intoxicating smell filled the air around me. His eyebrows were slightly furrowed, and the original sharp, cruelness of his eyes had disappeared and was replaced with something else.

 

“You’re worried about me.” I stated, a smile beginning to form on my lips.

 

Daehyun hand hesitated and our gazes met. “What?”

 

“You’re worried about me,” I repeated. “I can tell, it’s written all over your face. Especially in your eyes."