Challenge

My Jerky Neighbor

Three days had passed relatively uneventfully.  I was getting to know Sunhwa Arts much better by now and the original new and exciting feel of attending here was beginning to ware off. In band class, chatter-box Mr. Lee had finally begun giving us proper instruments lessons instead of rambling on and on about his life story like he did almost everyday. Other classes at Sunhwa were going wonderfully, and luckily, in Mrs. Yang’s gym class, Daehyun would, for the most part, keep his distance from me. I was extremely thankful for that, because I couldn’t guarantee that I wouldn’t punch him in the face if he tried to pull something on me again.

 

As time crept on, an unavoidable feeling began blossoming inside of me. Because of the fact that almost everyone who attended Sunhwa was extremely rich, good-looking, and well-off, I would end up feeling like somewhat of an outcast. To my knowledge, I was the only one who had received a scholarship to attend here. Everybody else paid the outrageous yearly fee of attending with money out of their own pockets. That meant that I automatically stuck out like a sore thumb.

 

Luckily, Moon Jongup, one of the only people who I considered a friend in Sunhwa, helped me feel welcome and accepted. Even though he was incredibly shy and sometimes a little bit awkward, his cute, quirky eye smile brightened up my days and I truly enjoyed being in his goofy presence. His quiet, introverted attitude countered my brash, more outgoing personality. Because of that, we made a good pair I could already tell that we would be great friends.

 

 

Over the three days, I had also become acquainted with Zelo, the boy with the blue high-lights who was another member of that B.A.P group. I had expected that, since he was friends with Daehyun, he would be equally stuck up and arrogant, but to my astonishment, he wasn’t any of those things. He was actually the complete opposite. Every family and friend group has a bad egg, and it seems that in B.A.P, Jung Daehyun was the bad egg because both Jongup and Zelo were alright. However, Zelo wasn't exactly as talkative as Jongup, and he was much more shy. He mostly kept his distance from me, so I still didn't know a lot about him.

 

On the fourth day of school, Nurse Hyunwoo informed me that I was at last able to participate in soccer again. Entering into the gym after my usual hiding out in the bathroom at lunch, Zelo surprised me by asking me if I was alright playing soccer. I wondered what had gotten into him, especially since he had never really spoken to me before that. Surprising me, he then asked to see my wound. Hesitantly, I tilted down my head for him to see the remaining scar that had formed. Zelo’s lips formed into an ‘O’ shape and his wide eyes sparkled in amazement.

 

“Woaw, I've never seen a cut that bad before..." he sounded amazed, yet disgusted at the same time. 

 

I snorted with laughter, “I've never seen anyone so interested in a wound before."

 

 

“Yah, Zelo!"

 

 

 

The boy whom I took to be Zelo spun around just as an unafraid, smug faced Daehyun strode up beside him. Cocking an eyebrow, and over exaggeratedly tossing his hair, he appeared as if he was waiting for me to say something. Zelo, feeling the atmosphere grow awkward, slowly backed away to join in with the rest of our classmates.

 

"What?"

 

"Don't you have something to say to me? Something along the lines of, 'Thanks for bringing me to the nurse's office the other day Daehyun.'"

 

To be honest, I was acutally very surprised that Daehyun had actually come up and talked to me again because he hasn't said anything to me the past couple of days. I wasn't exactly jumping for joy though. I just ignored him. And before retreating to go stand close to Mrs. Yang, I quickly glanced up at Daehyun to see his priceless facial expression; a mixture of surprise, bewilderment, and confusion all in one. It’s amazing a face could even morph to form those things all at the same time.

 

 

We were still playing soccer in class, and the teams hadn’t changed, which meant that I was on Zelo’s team and I was once again against Daehyun. I half smirked. The heaven's had given me another chance to utterly destroy Daehyun, which I happily accepted. Zelo high fived me and we chanted a quick ‘hwaiting’ as we took our places in the gym. The overly-dolled up Mrs. Yang placed herself at the edge of the field. She waved her delicate hand in the air, signaling the start of the game.

 

I wasn’t in the mood for any of Daehyun’s stupid games today, so as we began playing, I tried my hardest to stay as far away as I could from him. I was like a magnet though, no matter which position I would play, even if I was goalie, Daehyun would always end up near me. When I could see his bright, crimson red tee-shirt and matching shorts straying away from his side of the field once again, my skin prickled and the small amount of anger I had pent up inside of me began to once again bubble to the surface.

 

“Go guard your team’s goal, not ours!” I hissed to Daehyun after he meandered his way over by me for the thousandth time.

 

He crossed his arms while keeping his eyes locked on the intense fight for the soccer ball going on at the other side of the field.

 

“I know you heard me,” I nagged, a snobby edge to my voice. I said this quietly enough so that Mrs. Yang, who was keeping a close eye on everyone, wouldn’t hear.

 

Daehyun lips tugged into a gentle frown and he turned so that his narrowed eyes that were previously focused on the soccer game were now boring harshly into me. “So?”

 

I scoffed and mimicked Daehyun by crossing my arms just like he had. “So, it’s annoying. Why do you always have to bother me? Go bother Zelo or something. Or do you want me to teach you another lesson by slapping you again?”

 

Daehyun tapped his finger on the tip of his chin and bobbed his head back and forth as if he was genuinely considering my threat. Finally placing his hands on his hips, he assuredly smirked at me. My stomach dropped and I suddenly felt that whatever Daehyun was thinking, it wasn’t good. Did he really want me to slap him again?

 

Running his fingers through his usual silky looking hair, he avoided my unspoken question and his attention drew back to the action on other side of the soccer field. “Last times win for my team was kind of a fluke, so I challenge you again. We’ll both be offense, and whoever scores the first goal really will be the winning team. How does that sound?” Daehyun asked.

 

Taken aback by his offer, I furrowed my brow. Where did that come from?

 

Attempting to see my reaction, Daehyun stole a glance at me out of the corner of his eye, but seeing as I held little to no expression, he instantly fixated his gaze forward again. I discounted Daehyun’s obvious gander and began to ponder his challenge. Playing with the idea of going up against him for the second time, multiple scenarios of what would come of this challenge came to mind. If I win, I could gloat and rub it in his face until the cows come home, but if I lose… I’ll never be able to live it up. I’m certain that Daehyun would rub the win in my face for as long as he had breath in his body, which hopefully wouldn’t be for too long. I guess it’s worth a shot then, I really haven’t much to lose.

 

 Feeling confident with myself and my soccer abilities, I accepted Daehyun’s challenge.

 

 

Beaming, Daehyun hurriedly took his position in offense at the other end of the field. I called to Zelo, who ran over with a puzzled look on his face. I began explaining Daehyun’s challenge that I had agreed to in haste, and one I had finished, Zelo reluctantly agreed to switch positions with me.

 

“I hate being goalie,” I caught Zelo muttering as I assumed position as offense in the middle of the field.

 

The ball had just landed in the other teams net, so now it was being placed back in the center field where we would kick it off. Daehyun took his spot directly across from the ball while smirking knowingly at me. I noticed the beads of sweat beginning to trickle down his forehead. Wiping off the droplets of sweat beginning to form on my own brow, I took a deep breath. My heart kicked up a notch and I found myself growing more and more nervous.

 

At the sound of the whistle, I dove at the ball, my only focus, and easily stole it before the other team even had the chance. The ominous feeling of the opposing team’s players closing in on me as I balanced the ball between my feet was completely apparent. I tried my best to avoid them by weaving in between other players, not caring if they were on my team or not. That wasn’t important to me now. With the wind blasting through my hair, and everyone and everything else a mess of different colors around me, only one thought stuck in my mind; winning.

 

Feeling a slight shove and at my side, I rocked sideways from the momentum. Quickly regaining my balance, I realized to my alarm that the ball had been stolen from me. A flash of red flew past, ball bouncing in between their feet. Jung Daehyun. He had the ball.

 

Using up every last bit of my energy, I launched myself forward, sprinting faster and faster until Daehyun, and the ball, were just beyond my reach.

 

Daehyun must have noticed this too, because he whipped around, preparing to pass the ball to another one of his teammates. I gasped as Daehyun’s foot suddenly twisted and gave out, causing him to completely stop in his tracks. Running too fast to stop or even slow down at all, I continued at full speed until I plowed into him head on.

 

Forcing him into the solid, unforgiving paneled floor, the full weight of my body crashed on top of his, pinning him underneath me as we laid practically lifeless. The shouts and horrified gasps of those around us echoed through the gymnasium. My eyes were crammed shut and my head throbbed like crazy. I felt like I had just been hit by a freight train, and it hurt to move.

 

After what felt like ages, my eyes naturally opened and adjusted on their own. My breath immediately hitched in my throat, shock filling my bones as I stared into a wide-eyed, petrified Daehyun. It wasn’t until I attempted to speak that I realized I wasn’t able to. I had fallen onto Daehyun and our lips had smashed together, and now we lay on the gym floor speechless and too blown away to move, my lips on his, his lips on mine.