Oblivious

Love Is Blind

The next few weeks passed by fairly easy after that. L’joe was adjusting to his classes slowly, but making progress. He approached it as he did everything else. With patterns. In high school his classes were never easy, especially when he refused to be put in special education classes. College was no different, he wanted to prove he could do it himself when his family never had faith in him. Then there was Niel. He’d kept his promise about being his friend.

They met up at their usual café, a routines they picked up after the first few days of school. Niel had managed to get L’joe to try the café’s ice coffee, and laughed when L’joe mumbled that he liked it.

“So, how was class today?” Niel asked opening his text book and skimming a few pages.

“They were okay, my English teacher can be an by talking at the speed of light, but I just record him.” He answered pulling out his pocket recorder for Niel to see.

“That’s cool, it’s still completely crazy how you manage your classes and do homework.” He said examining the recorder.

“It’s nothing really” L’joe said modestly and Niel huffed.

“Liar,” he rolled his eyes. “Half of your text books don’t come in braille. So until the school can order them, you have to record or type everything your teachers say. Then transfer it into notes on your computer and then print it out in braille. That’s completely insane yet I still think it’s awesome.” L’joe looked away from him trying to hold back his blush. Niel liked to compliment him, but he still wasn’t used to it yet. Moments later L’joe feels something being wrapped around his wrist. He reaches out to feel what it is. It felt like a bracelet, a woven bracelet, confused he turned to Niel.

“It’s a friendship bracelet, I made it last week and I was going to give it to you then but I chickened out. I wasn’t sure if you thought of me as a friend.” L’joe smiled lightly at his confession and ran his fingers across the bracelet again.

“Of course I think of you as a friend and I’ll even tell you a story” he stated gathering the courage to finally open up about his past. “I went blind four and a half years ago from an eye infection.” He paused organizing his thoughts. Niel never made a peep for fear if he did L’joe wouldn’t finish.

“It was the middle of summer. It wasn’t my first eye infection but this time it had gotten into both of my eyes. I had taken medication for a week but nothing seemed to work. Then on the day my Umma planned to take me to the doctor, I woke up and opened my eyes but everything was dark. It’s nothing like walking around in the dark, at least then you can still see the outlines of things. It’s much worse. Naturally I panicked calling out for my Umma while trying to untangle myself from my covers. After I managed to get out of bed my Umma called out to me. The moment I told her I couldn’t see, all I could hear were her footsteps as she rushed out of the room to tell my dad. I didn’t want to be alone so I tried to go after her but only managed to run into my door. Once they finally got me to the hospital, they told me I’d had a retinal eyes infection. Since we waited so long to visit the doctor it was nothing they could do to revise it.” L’joe paused when Niel grabbed his hand and squeezed.

“I’m sorry” Niel whispered.

L’joe smiled lightly taking comfort in Niel’s voice. “Don’t be, I adjusted. My parents were a tad overzealous when I started school again. I had regular classes; I’d refused to be put in special ED. Because of my stubbornness I only made things harder on myself, but I didn’t want to be treated differently.” He paused again turning in Niel’s direction.

“I’m probably boring you with my long story”

“No, no keep going” Niel said surprising L’joe with his eagerness, but continued nonetheless.

“They treated me differently anyway even my so called friends. I was ostracized and picked on. Sometimes bullied physically, but I managed to ignore it and get a handle on being blind. It’s not so bad; I didn’t have any friends though. No one wanted to be bothered by the ‘blind kid’” he said using air quotes. “So it wasn’t so bad, just lonely” he finished, and waited for Niel’s response but was met with only silence.

“Aish, I knew this was a bad idea” he mumbled embarrassed getting up from his seat. Niel’s brain finally checked back in and he grabbed L’joe from behind trapping him in a bear hug.

“Ah, no running away. College is different, people are different here. You’ll make friends, and besides you’ve made friends with me and I hate to break it to ya, but I’m not easy to get rid of so you’re stuck with me.” He said pressing his cheek against L’joe’s in a teasing way, causing them both to laugh.

As Niel hugged him L’joe tried his best to keep his erratic heartbeats in check, but failing miserably. It had been happening more and more recently. Every time Niel would touch him, or just being too close to him made his pulse race. Just hearing his voice made him smile.

“Hey, it’s time to go back to class” Niel announced letting him go. “See you in a little while” he finished patting his shoulder. A habit he’d started, his way of telling L’joe he was walking away.

L’joe smiled after him, and headed to his own class. His next class was music. He had two different types of music classes. One was music theory and the other composition. Today was composition so he headed to the music room. As usual he heard bickering floating down the hall as he walked up it.

“Nonna, I swear if I have to do one more girl group dance I’m gonna kill you.” He heard the boy say to his sister and suppressed a chuckle.

“Oh it up. It’s just for a little while longer” he huffed out. Changjo his teeth annoyed.

“You’d better sleep with one eye open” he threatened.

The room went silent and L’joe took that as an opportunity to enter. The siblings say their usual greeting and L’joe bows politely. He liked Rihyo, she was sweet, but her brother Changjo. Not so much. He liked to and it pissed him off. From what he inquired Changjo was a high school senior who helped Rihyo teach her Tuesday and Thursday classes.

“Hey” L’joe cringed at the sound of Changjo’s voice.

“What!” He hissed knowing exactly what he wanted.

“When are you going to try dancing with us?” He asked for the umpteenth time. L’joe usually ignores him knowing he’s just messing with him bet everyone has a limit.

“You do understand I’m blind right?” He asked tired of him; hoping if he nips this in the bud now Changjo will leave him alone.

“Yeah so” Changjo said completely serious catching L’joe off guard. “What does that have to do with anything?” He paused and chuckled at the blonde’s bewildered expression before continuing. “Yes, you’re blind but that doesn’t stop you from playing the piano does it? Nonna even told me you play the violin too. I see no difference.” Changjo countered as he watched his words sink in.

‘He’s right; I was so used to people telling me I couldn’t do something I started doing it myself.’

“I’m sorry” he said remembering what Niel said. ‘People are different here.’

“Don’t worry about it; at least you know I’m being serious. Your name is Byunghun right?” L’joe nodded glad he didn’t drive a potential friend away because of his attitude.

“Yeah, just call me L’joe” he said extending his hand, and Changjo shook it.

“Yah, L’joe” Changjo watched as L’joe’s face lit up at the obviously familiar voice.

“Niel, is that you?” L’joe asked standing to his feet.

“Of course hyung, no one else sounds like this” he joked walking up to them.

“So this is where your practice room is mine is next door.” He paused and looked at Changjo with a smile. “You made a new friend?” Niel asked cheerfully.

“Yeah, I’m Changjo.”

“Niel” they bowed to each other. Niel looked back at L’joe who’d turned awkward at the mention of a new friend.

“See the bracelet is good luck” he said with a smile Changjo chuckled at Niel’s antics and didn’t miss the faint blush creeping across L’joe’s cheeks.

“See you later; I still need to get to class.” He again bowed to Changjo and patted L’joe’s shoulders, and then made his way to class.

L’joe looked down and grazed his fingers across his friendship bracelet and grinned.

‘Lucky huh’

“You like him” L’joe’s head shot up and his eyes widened at his words.

“No…I don’t he’s my roommate” L’joe whined.

“Right. You like him” he said again with more teasing. L’joe pulse picked up at his words.

“You’re always like this aren’t you?” He asked with a playful glare.

“What? If you mean me being awesomely truthful then yes” he replied, while L’joe rolled his eyes but couldn’t help laughing.

“You’re a high school student right?” He inquired hoping to distract Changjo from calling him out on feelings he wasn’t even comfortable admitting yet. Not even to himself.

“Yeah, a third year at Kasamori High School” Changjo answered while pulling up a chair and sitting next to L’joe’s piano.

“If you’re getting excused from school, why are you always fighting with your sister? Do you hate dancing?” He questioned trying to keep the conversation light.

“Oh no, I love dancing. My friends at school even nicknamed me dancing boi. I argue with Rihyo because we’ve been doing girl group dances since the semester started. She claims it’s because there are more girls in the Tuesday, Thursday classes but I know she just likes to embarrass me.” He said rolling his eyes.

“Just ask the class of they want to do something different, then she wouldn’t be able to refuse.” L’joe suggested feeling around on the floor for his violin case.

“Yeah, I could try that.” It was silent as Changjo watched L’joe open his violin case and began to prepare his instrument.

“Hey Byunghun, sweetie, your lesson has been canceled today” Rihyo called from the other side of the room after reading the notice on the door.

“Thanks for letting me know” he called back and began to pack his things up again.

“Think you’re up for a dance lesson” Changjo asked coly wanting to spend more time getting to know the blond. L’joe quirked an eyebrow and thought for a while.

“Sure why not if it’ll get you to stop bugging me about it.” Changjo chuckled shyly, scratching the back of his neck.

“Uh, yeah sorry about that” L’joe only laughed. Oddly enough Changjo kind of reminded him of Niel.

“Okay, let’s go.” They got up and began to stretch.

~

Niel was having a hard time paying attention. Music Theory was never exciting, but today class seamed to drag on forever. Luckily he’d picked a seat in the back of the room, because the task of keeping his eyes open was becoming tedious.

“Psth, Psth” a loud whisper rang in Niel’s ears jolting him awake. “Wake up” the words quickly sank in and he righted himself.

“Thanks, I’m dying over here” Niel joked and sent the boy a grateful smile.

“No problem. I’m Cap. What's your name?” he asked keeping his voice at a whisper.

“Cap? That’s a weird nickname” Niel said giggling softly.

“What can I say I like hats. My real name is Minsoo” he admitted and held his hand out with a bright smile.

“I’m Daniel, call me Niel.” He said happy shaking Caps hand.

Before anything else could be said the teacher dismissed the class. Niel nodded towards Cap before rushing out the door. He wanted to catch L’joe before he left the building. He was in a hurry he didn’t notice Cap right on his tail. He made it to L’joe’s classroom ad saw him sitting in the floor, but before he could say anything a hand touched his shoulder. He quickly turned and was face with a beaming Cap.

“Hey, you ran out so fast. I was wondering if you wanted to hangout sometime.” Cap asked with a hopeful grin. After a few seconds to think about it Niel nodded.

“Sure, I’d like that” he was about to continue when laughter drew his and Cap’s attention.

“L’joe!” Cap said loud enough to catch his attention. Completely shocked he entered the room and stared blankly at L’joe as he stood up equally floored.

“Minsoo, you go to school here?” He questioned hoping that was the case.

“Yeah, but how are you here? You do know your parents-” he was cut off by L’joe yanking him to the side away from the others. Niel and Changjo glanced at each other and shrugged neither understanding what was going on. Once L’joe felt they were far enough away he stopped.

“Did they send you here” L’joe asked timidly.

“Seriously, no I just go to school here. My mom told me you disappeared.” Cap said with a frown “Why didn’t you call me?” L’joe cringed at the seriousness in Cap’s voice.

“You, just up and left. Just like everyone else did . I didn’t have anybody else. I didn’t see the point.” He admitted softly making Cap huff in frustration.

“Bull. You know I didn’t want to leave, I didn’t have a choice. I tried to keep in touch with you but every time I called your parents said you didn’t want to talk to me.” L’joe’s eyes widened at his words.

“They never told me anything about you calling. You see this is why I left. like that is why I left.” L’joe fumed barley keeping himself from screaming.

“Calm down, don’t worry about it. I’m just happy to have you back so don’t stress. You secret is safe with me.” A smile spread across Cap’s face as he watched L’joe visibly relax.

Seeing the atmosphere around the two boys lighten Niel took the opportunity to approach them.

“Is everything okay?” His question directed more at L’joe than Cap.

“Yeah, don’t worry Niel” L’joe said hearing the underline tenseness in his voice. “This is my cousin Minsoo.” He smile reassured Niel everything was fine.

“Your cousin. Cool. We’ve meet already, he’s in my Music Theory class.” he explained, while Cap glanced at his watch.

“Crap, I’m about to be late. I’ll catch you later right?” He turned to Niel and wined playfully causing Niel to blush. Then he put his hand on L’joe’s head. “You better keep in touch midget” he said cheekily. L’joe his teeth and swatted Cap’s hand off his head, then stuck his tongue out playfully. Cap, Changjo, and Niel broke into a fit of laughter.

“Bye and I will” he replied, a small smile playing over his features. Cap ruffled L’joe’s blind hair one more time before running out of the room and to his next class.

After Cap left Niel continued to snicker to himself. This was the first time he’d seen L’joe’s childish side. Their first week together Niel had trouble getting L’joe to stop trying to hide himself, and just show his real personality. By the looks of Changjo, it seems his efforts are being rewarded.

“I’m starving” Niel blurted effectively scaring the other two. “Let’s go eat would you like to come?” he asked Changjo as he picked up his backpack and slung it over his shoulder. Changjo nodded. “Sweet, let’s go.” They headed out to eat and enjoy their afternoon.

~

The next couple of weeks were kind of a blur to Niel, between classes and spending time with L’joe and Cap. Overall he was beginning to really like Cap and it was fun to watch him and L’joe interact. They were like siblings, always taking playful stabs at each other. They were obviously close and hang out a lot together, spending time catching up.

It was an average Thursday; L’joe had a free period so he was spending it dancing with Changjo. At first he struggled. Terribly. It was extremely difficult to believe in his capability to dance when he couldn’t even see his own movements. Changjo on the other hand had complete faith, which was a tad unnerving to L’joe. In the end L’joe gained a lot of respect for Changjo, and his ability to teach. He was a great teacher. He worked with him at a painfully slow pace until L’joe became more comfortable around him. During the processes they’ve become really good friends, and just the thought of having close friends makes him beam with happiness.

They were in the midst of a new routine Changjo wanted to teach him to up the difficulty. L’joe was managing fairly, but Changjo could sense he was holding back. After a few more minutes of struggling Changjo stopped the music.

“Let’s take a break,” he suggested and they both sank to the floor. “You need to stop doubting yourself. You move really well once you get a solid grasp of the movements.” L’joe hummed in response and sipped on his water. Not a second later L’joe’s alarm went off, reminding him the hour was up.

“Saved by the bell” L’joe sighed in relief.

“It wasn’t that hard.” L’joe stopped drinking his water and glanced at Changjo ludicrously.

“Whatever, don’t look at me like that. What are you doing after this? Homework?” He asked while toweling himself off his sweaty upper body.

“No, now that I have my books in braille doing homework is a lot easier.” Changjo chuckled in understanding, witnessing firsthand the hell L’joe went through doing his homework.

“Good, how are thing between you and Niel. Is he still distant?” he questioned remembering their conversation from the other day.

“It’s about the same, and it’s not really that he’s being distant. He just spends a lot of time with Cap so I haven’t seen him much.” He confessed holding his head down.

“Ah, so you just miss him. Have you confessed to him yet?” L’joe growled in response.

“You always bring that up. I told you I don’t have feelings for Niel.” Aggravated with L’joe’s denials he pushed his shoulder hard enough to make him tip over onto his back.

“Stop lying it’s obvious you really like him.” L’joe sat upright and glared softly at Changjo, knowing he was right but refusing to admit it.

As L’joe opened his mouth to speak, Changjo jumped as Niel came barreling through the door bubbling with excitement. Hearing Niel’s squeals L’joe abruptly stood to his feet and zoned in on Niel’s voice.

“What the hell Niel” L’joe said confused and he could feel Changjo nodding in agreement as he placed his head on L’joe’s shoulder.

“Well, Cap asked me out on a date” he exclaimed in a fit of giggles.

Niel was too absorbed in his excitement to notice Changjo’s shell shocked expression or L’joe’s crest fallen one. Changjo recovered first chuckling awkwardly, as he glanced at L’joe. The expression on his face made his heart sink. Changjo lightly squeezed L’joe’s shoulders bringing him back to reality and watched as he plastered a fake smile on his face before Niel noticed.

“That’s great” L’joe choked out without breaking his facade. Niel’s smile brightened. While Changjo stared at him trying to decide whether he should slap him into the next world for his obviousness of the blonde’s feelings or give L’joe a comforting hug. In the end he did nothing, only looked at Niel and smiled lightly.

“I’m so happy you approve. I’ll catch you guys later, I have to go get ready” he called out as he rushed out the door.

“By-Bye” was all L’joe managed to whisper before Niel’s footsteps disappeared.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

tumblr_inline_mjsdsy6ZuP1qz4rgp.gifYAY!!!!! I finaly updated!

I hope every one enjoys the update. Please coment and tell me your thoughts. I made this chapter extra long to make up for my lack of updates.

 

I love you guys Fighting!tumblr_m9u3ecZoG81ryog7eo1_250.gif