Kris

A Thousand Years

KRIS

YooJin is right about her hunch, someone was following her.

 

“What was what?” asked JiMin puzzled by YooJin’s actions.

 

“Nothing.” The latter replied.

 

“You’re acting weird again.”

 

“Just get in already”

 

YooJin and JiMin finally went inside the classroom for their Biology class.

 

*sigh* “That was close.” Kris said, he was nearly caught by YooJin.

 

Actually it was like this all the time. It probably started when he and YooJin were classmates in their first year in high school. Maybe even during the summer break before YooJin’s first year in high school started. He couldn’t exactly remember when, but he just knew that she was the one for him. Unfortunately his parents were against this.  He was a vampire after and befriending a human could be dangerous. Not just because they were bloodthirsty supernatural beings, but they were afraid that Kris could expose who they are and could well mob and kill them. It was least likely since they were but not impossible to do.

 

Even if YooJin was still human then, she could always sense someone was watching her. Following her. And it has always been Kris.

 

The moment Kris saw her, he was, well, dead. No pun intended.  Really, he couldn’t stop thinking about her. He found her interesting though she a Plane Jane. Then he just started following her.

 

Unfortunately for Kris, YooJin was just there for the summer break. So a week before summer break was over, YooJin, along with her family went back to her hometown for school. As for Kris and his family, they had to move to another town or district and change their identity again. It was always like this for the past centuries. It comes with being a vampire. You are immortal. You had to move and pretend to  die so that people wouldn’t be suspicious. You had to hide or destroy old records and make a new identity for yourself. Or you can make really good friends who can help you keep your secret and bring it with them in their grave. It is the modern times. People probably won’t believe in vampires, werewolves, witches and the like, and say they’re just stories or they’re just made up to scare children. Maybe even say, they’re just using all that nonsense to impress girls.

 

Really, do you know how many girls think having a werewolf or a vampire for a boyfriend is cool?

 

Then again, if it was proven that they were, who knows what scientist would do to them.

 

Yes, Kris could have follow her. Track her down. He has, as weird as it sounds, been familiar with her scent. It was sweet like peaches, fragrant as lilac. He can’t be described in exact words but it seems like it to him. He did follow her. Well tried to be exact, but his father stopped him. Being the good son that he is, he obeyed. He had to.

 

Just like YooJin, Kris was a normal boy at first. In that lifetime werewolves and vampires are real. And they freely roam the streets at night and attack anyone in their way. Kris was attacked, but he was bleeding to death. A woman who looked about in her late 30’s saw Kris and couldn’t bear to watch him die. He was of course the son her mortal best friend, and she made a promise to save him if anything happened to her. Unfortunately that night Kris’s mom was attacked as well but died.

 

She didn’t want to turn someone who was unwilling to be a vampire. She and her husband were different from the vampires in that lifetime. In fact they were ahead of their own, and would want to take a life just because of who they are. The woman remembered her promise, and Kris was very dear to her like her own son. She had to save him. And if it meant to turn him to someone like them, someone who he probably hated for the death of his mother, and turning him meant saving him, then she would do it. Before Kris could even say goodbye to the world, she forced him to drink her blood. She bit her wrist just enough to puncture it and place it at Kris’s mouth for him to drink.

 

The woman thought she was too late, but with hope that she was just in time to do it, she brought his body home. Her husband was furious at first, but couldn’t blame her. Kris’s parents were their close friends, their only friends, and they knew their secret. They kept the secret well and owe their lives to them. They treasured and cared for Kris like a son they never had.

 

 Kris woke up after 3 days. He was shocked to find himself alive. He felt this burning sensation in his throat. He was thirsty. Awfully thirsty. The crazy thing was he was thirsty for blood. Shocked and totally taken aback by the sensation, he got out of bed and quickly looked for a mirror. He was horrified with what he saw in the mirror. Heck, that was an understatement. He had blood-red eyes, skin so pale, and fangs to complete the look. What was worse he was covered in blood, and that broke him. What he hasn’t realized that it was his own blood when he bleeding to death in the streets.

 

“You’re awake” a woman suddenly appeared. She looked normal. But Kris should’ve known better, he knew she is a vampire. She was the last person he saw before he out.

 

“How do you feel?”

 

“How?” what a stupid question he thought. “Do you think I’m okay? Okay with the fact that I was prepared to die but suddenly woke up and found out that I am creature who I loathe for the death of my parents?!?!” he was furious. No words can describe how he felt right now. He was shaking, burning. His emotions on overdrive.

 

“Kris please calm down. I know this is a lot to take. You’re only three days old. You’re thirsty and your emotions are heightened, which means you’re unstable so plea-”

 

“Who are you to tell me that!! How can I trust you!! How can I trust you now! You lied to us. We thought you were human. I thought you were. You turned me into a monster!!”

 

“Kris please. I saved you, I promised your mother to this if anyth-”

 

“Do you really think I will believe that!! Maybe you were the one who killed her!”

 

“Kris I would never!”

 

“Shut up! You-”

 

“Kris!” a man about the same age of the woman suddenly came into the room.

 

“Kris, I know how you feel but please don’t talk her like that. She may be a vampire but she is still a woman. She is the same woman who gave sweets, that you love, everyday and the same woman who comforted whenever your mother and father would scold you or whenever they have fight.”

 

Somehow Kris’s inner rage subsided.

 

“We may be vampires but we are not like them. We have changed our ways. Yes we are monsters but we want to be different from that. If we really were monsters you and your parents should have died a long time ago. We should have drained your bodies of blood but we didn’t.”

 

What the man said was true, she was his second mother. They were his second family. As a boy, whenever hell broke loose in their house he would run and cry to Uncle JaeJoong and Aunt YeRim. He still does until now he was a teenager except for the running and crying part. He would just show up at their door step and they knew why. Then they would let him in and eat, sometimes even make him stay for the night. They already have a spare room for him, so whenever he suddenly comes at their door looking sullen they were ready.

 

After that confrontation with Uncle JaeJoong he just listened to everything they said, but that doesn’t mean he has forgiven them. They were still vampires, the same beings that destroyed their town and killed everyone. He kept their distance from them, not wanting to get to comfortable. He would feel guilty sometimes especially towards his Aunt YeRim. JaeJoong and YeRim couldn’t blame him. Kris would run away and think that he is better off without them but he was wrong. He couldn’t control his thirst, he thought he could. The couple taught him to dink animal blood. It was more humane than killing innocent people but he lost his control once and it was horrifying. Overnight he killed, no, massacred two towns. His thirst for human blood overpowering him, it was clouding his thoughts and the rational side of him.

 

Before he could go to the next town, JaeJoong and YeRim with the help of a few friends was able to stop him but with difficulty. Being a newborn vampire and two towns worth of human blood in your system, well you are quite unbeatable but they were able to take him down. YeRim was crushed at the sight of her poor boy. Their friends told her that it was impossible to gain Kris back. He lost his humanity, he flipped his  mental switch, and looks like it was hard to flip it back.

 

“Please, is there anything we could do? Please anything, to bring my boy back.” She pleaded Lin a friend from the south.

 

“You are not my mother!! You are nothing to me!” Kris yelled from the confines of a room that could hold any vampire, even a vampire as blood-crazed as Kris. He started to laugh menacingly like an evil villain.

 

“Blood! Blood everywhere! HAHAHAHA”

 

Kris was terrifying. It was a good thing Lin helped them. He was able to compel Kris to drink animal blood, and from time to time human blood until Kris would accept the animal blood. He was able to flip back on his humanity switch and this time all the guilt and grief flooded him. His emotions got the best of him and just shut himself once again from JaeJoong and YeRim.

 

 It was like this for first few decades of his vampire life. It was hell to him. He wished he was never a vampire but then again he was thankful that somewhat live.

 

It took him a few more decades to come back to JaeJoong and YeRim. But when he did they accepted him with open arms and still treated him like their own son. Since then he never left. If he did he made sure they knew where he was and how he was doing. After all, he owed them his life and even his sanity. If it weren’t for them especially YeRim, he would have killed millions by now.