8

The Hunt

“Invitation?” The security guard ordered as he held out his hand.

I clumsily dug inside my pocket and successfully pulled out an invitation. I handed it to him.

The guard skimmed over the reading, analyzing each letter carefully. He nodded his head, closed the invitation, and handed it back to me.

“Have a nice night, Mr. Jung.” He smiled evilly, hinting that he knew I was human.

I bowed my head a bit, excusing myself, and entered the building.  As I entered, I could hear instrumental music playing in the background. Chatter and laughter could also be heard. I made my way down a long, dark hallway until I reached the party.

Huge diamond chandeliers dangled from the ceiling. Candles were carefully placed around the room, giving it an eerie feeling. A full out orchestra was set along the far right side of the room, playing their hearts content.  A grand staircase was in the middle of the left and right walls and was adorned with dark red roses, most likely attempting to resemble the color of blood. People crowded along the sides of the room, chattering amongst themselves, occasionally laughing as well. The middle of the room was left for dancing.

I sighed. I definitely did not want to do this. I mentally slapped myself, picked up my shoulders, and walked confidently into the crowd. I immersed myself with conversations, attempting to blend in. I continued to do so until I felt a tap on my shoulder. I turned around to find a woman standing before me.

Our eyes met and I lit up with recognition. She smiled brightly and took my hands and looked up at me.

“Thank you so much for saving me last time.” Yuri said sincerely.

I pulled my hands away and waved them in the air, shaking my head at the same time.

“I did nothing. It was all Seohyun.” I said.

“But still...You assisted in my savior. And I will forever be in your debt.” She insisted.

I changed the subject.

“So how have you been since then?” I asked.

“Ah. Yes. After my whole birthday incident, my father confessed about my heritage. I had always thought I was different from other humans. I guess I was right.” She let out a laugh.

I laughed along with her and kind of glanced over through the crowd. Where was Seohyun?

“Seo JooHyun is going to be at this party?” Yuri questioned.

“Yeah..” I guess she had already begun to exercise her powers.

“Did you come here with her?” She asked.

I nodded. “Can’t tell you why we are here though. Top secret stuff.”

“Oo..Secrets.” We both laughed.

“So where is she?”

I shrugged. “No idea. She said that it would be best to not come in together.”

“Oh, I see.” Yuri nodded her head slowly.

Then suddenly, I felt a tap on my shoulder. I turned around to find a waitress offering me a drink. I gratefully took it. Yuri took one as well.

“How has the party been going for you?” I asked, sipping my wine glass.

“It has been a bit slow. I’ve been taken hostage by pointless, boring conversations.” Yuri said as she sipped her glass.

Before I could respond, I noticed that the lively party started to silence itself. Then I saw that Yuri had her attention on something else. I turned and looked into the direction.

With each step she took, the immortals knelt, knowing they were below her level. She walked with such confidence.  

“It’s the Princess Joohyun.” I heard someone whisper.

Princess Joohyun?

“She looks beautiful as ever.” Said another person.

“She is the one last of the Ebonoloian royal family.” Informed another person.

Seohyun walked towards the host of the party and curtsied, showing him respect.

“Why isn’t it the lovely Pureblood Princess? It is quite the honor to have you as my guest.”

He knelt down and boldly took Seohyun’s right hand. “May I?”

She bowed her head, showing approval. The host lightly kissed her hand and bowed, showing Seohyun respect as well.

“It is always an honor to have another pureblood in our presence. How are you enjoying the party, my dear?”

“I find it to be quite exquisite indeed. It’s quite lovely, if I may say.”

“I do not deserve such compliments, my lady.” The host lowered his head.

“Such nonsense, Prince Kyuhyun.”  

“She is the most desirable bachelorette of all of immortals alike.”

“I heard that the Princess and Prince Kyuhyun are going to be engaged though,” a woman’s voice said behind me.

Seohyun smiled. “I suppose we should let the other guests enjoy the party. Shall we?”

Kyuhyun bowed his head and agreed. “Your wish is my command.”

When he clapped his hands together, the chatter and music commenced once again. From the corner of my eye, I saw Seohyun leave arm in arm with the Prince.

“Wow..She works fast.” Yuri exclaimed. “Didn’t she come with you?”

“Well..it wasn’t just us. Changmin also accompanied us here as well.” I informed.

“Changmin?” She asked, with a questionable tone.

“A guy that’s part of our team.” I said.

Yuri nodded her head, showing that she understood. I let out a sigh, gulped down the rest of my wine. As a waitress walked by, I set the glass on her serving plate. I breathed in deeply and looked at Yuri. "See you again soon?”

She smiled and nodded her slightly.