1.9. Awkward Turtle

My Life Is A Korean Drama?!

 

‘Yes!’ You exclaimed in your mind as you did a little jig in your bed. L Joe wasn’t talking to you of course, but who cares?! You just kissed L. joe! Maybe your behavior was inappropriate. After all, the kiss certainly damaged L. Joe…but what the hell! You kissed friggin’ L. Joe!

You ceased in your festivities when someone knocked on your bedroom door. When you said “come in” your father answered. You sat up on the bed criss-cross-applesauce style. “Yes?”

“Are you alright?” he asked as he sat next to you on the bed. “Your brother isn’t talking to me. I hope you’re not ignoring me, too.”

 You shook your head. “No…did L. Joe say why he isn’t talking to you?”

“Nope. I was hoping you could give me an answer.”

“I have no idea.” You were half-lying. Him kissing you could be part of the reason why he was shutting everyone out, but you remembered how he reacted when he was told your dad wouldn’t be available for dinner.

Your dad sighed and nodded his head. “Okay.” He patted your shoulder. “If anything was wrong you’d tell me, right?” You just nodded. He sighed and got off the bed to walk back through the door he entered by. He said lastly, “I just asked you because I know you and L. Joe are so close…watch out for your brother, okay?”

Now you felt horrible. Here you were, celebrating when L. Joe was doing the complete opposite: mourning. You sighed and decided to go check up on how he was doing. When you were in front of his bedroom door you struck it with your fist. “L. Joe.”

No response.

You groaned and knocked harder this time. “C’mon, L. Joe, please open up. Everyone is worried about you.”

No response.

You whispered so your parents wouldn’t hear. “If this about the kiss I’m totally fine with it. You didn’t scar me or anything. Can we just talk, please?”

You heard some ruffling and shifting and soon L. Joe opened the door. Your face brightened when you saw him. The last time you saw him was yesterday. He didn’t come to breakfast or lunch. You don’t even remember seeing him go to the bathroom.

He looked in the hallway before pulling you inside his room. He sat on his bed and looked down at his hands like the essence of you was permanently there. “Don’t be so loud. I don’t want them to know what happened.”

You tried to sit next to him, but when you did he scooted away. “L. Joe, it’s fine to like someone. We’re not related so I don’t see the problem.”

“You don’t get it,” he shook his head. “We can’t be together because everyone who knows us sees us as brother and sister. Thinking about what I did makes me sick.”

“Then don’t.”

“You say that like it’s easy,” he scoffed. “You’ll always be like a sister to me. It’s just…with the way you’ve been acting lately my feelings got confused. I kissed you accidently.”

Ouch. “Oh…um…” If you said anything else you were going to stutter or worse, cry.

“I have to get out of here.”

Your head snapped up to look at him seriously. He wasn’t looking at you still, but he could sense the intensity in your expression. “What do you mean? Why are you running away? Why can’t you just be honest with your feelings? Admit you like me and you’ll be fine. If you leave it will tear mom apart.”

“I know…but it’s a risk I’m willing to take.” You rolled your eyes. “I’m going to join the military.”

“What?” You could hear your voice cracking. “Don’t be stupid.”

L. Joe sighed. “I’m serious. That or I’ll go to the states! I’ll find a job and make enough to support you guys.”

“I cannot believe what I’m hearing right now.” You stood up and paced around his room.

“I don’t care how you feel-“

“Obviously.”

“This is a personal decision and I’m old enough to make one…I’ll tell mom and dad what happened yesterday and I’ll be out of your lives by the morning.”

“You’re going to tell them?!”

“I need to get this off my chest,” he said and he finally looked at you. His eyes were so serious they scared you. “Just trust me. I have never let you down.”

You nodded reluctantly. He was right. It was his decision to make. The conversation was over and L. Joe ushered you back to your room. You allowed him to hug you one last time before he’d disappear in the morning.

“I’m sorry for confusing you,” you apologized.

L. Joe cracked a smile. “I’m sorry for taking your first kiss. You’re growing up and you don’t need me around anymore to protect you. Tell Niel I’m sorry when you see him tomorrow.”

You nodded to show you understood your directions. L. Joe’s smile widened and he childishly ruffled your hair like he did your first day.

His actions belied his true feelings. He was breaking on the inside.

 

 

NEXT TIME ON 'MY LIFE IS A KOREAN DRAMA?!'

 

You pursed your lips. “If I said that I would be lying.” You walked away before he could say anything else. 

You briefly looked up from your task at the person trying to get your attention. When you did you had to do a double-take. “Y-Yongguk?” Said person grinned and strolled up to you. He stood right next to you. “Can I help you?”

“Not hungry.”

“What was that about?” You asked when you sat down next to Kris.

As soon as SE7EN dismissed the class you were uprooted from your chair by strong hands and hauled out of the room.