1.4. The Childhood Crush

My Life Is A Korean Drama?!

 

You refused to speak to L. Joe today. He’d didn’t mind. You assumed he liked the silence. When you reached your school you speedily walked away from L. Joe to find Minzy. She was on a bench listening to music and tapping her feet.

“Hey,” she said loudly, but that was because her music was pretty loud.

You noticed a crowd of female students on your way to her and decided to inquire her about that. She shrugged and said, “Beats me.”

“Let’s go check it out. I’m curious.” You and Minzy got close enough so that you could hear what they were gossiping about.

“A new student?”

“Is he cute?”

“I heard he is!”

“I just saw him and I don’t think so.”

“That’s because you’re not into boys!”

“You’re right. I’m into men.”

You laughed at the conversation and pulled Minzy with you away from the crowd. “That was pointless,” Minzy sighed.

“No it wasn’t. We now know that there is a new student and it’s a ‘he’.”

“Yeah, that’s what I said. Pointless. Why are you suddenly so interested in what’s going on in school?”

“Because it’s interesting. Don’t you agree? There is a gang of four handsome boys, one of which is my adopted brother. There are rumors of a semi-attractive new male student…all we need are some mean girls.”

“Oh, you mean Jessica, Seohyun, and Sunny?”

You started giggling. “Oh wow. That’s priceless. I like this drama!”

“What are you talking about?!” Minzy exclaimed. She was starting to get annoyed with your rambling about dramas.

“Nevermind what I said. I’m just crazy.”

“I can see that,” she said and shook her head.

Once you, Minzy, and the rest of your classmates were in first period class, your teacher arrived. He fixed his glasses on the bridge of his nose before clearing his throat. “Class. I have an announcement to make. We have a new student.”

All the students started to whisper to each other, but quieted when the teacher slapped his ruler against his podium. “Be respectful!” He looked at the door and nodded. A student with slightly tan skin and nice big lips entered the room.

You wanted to laugh so badly. The new student introduced himself, “Ahn Daniel imnida. It’s a pleasure to meet you all.” He bowed.

“Very nice. Now, sit over there, next to Y/N.”

‘Of course.’ You smiled at Daniel and he returned the smile when he sat next to you. He stared at you and his expression turned into that of confusion, then into shock. “Y/N? Is that you?”

“Uh…what do you mean?”

He smiled, displaying his pearly whites. “It’s me. Niel. Don’t you remember?”

You laughed nervously. “Actually, I’ve forgotten a lot of things lately.”

He looked around this room. “Does that mean L. Joe is in this school too?” ‘Of course he would know L. Joe.’

“Yeah, but he’s one year above us.”

Niel wanted to say more, but didn’t want to get in trouble by the teacher on his first day. He faced the front and devoted his full attention to the teacher. You watched Niel and wondered, ‘If he’s a new student, how does he know me and L. Joe?’

When class was over and it was lunchtime you apologized to Minzy and informed her that you were going to spend some time with Niel. She didn’t look upset and said it was fine. You were probably not her only friend.

“You don’t remember the orphanage either?” Niel pressed with pouted lips.

You shook your head. “Can you tell me about our relationship?”

Niel blushed when you asked him this. You looked at him puzzled. “What? Did I say something wrong?”

“No,” he coughed. “I just remembered that you had a crush on me is all.”

Your mouth cracked into a smile and in your mind you fist pumped. ‘Oh yes!’ “Please, tell me more.”

“It was always you, me, and L. Joe. L. Joe would protect us both since he was the oldest and he didn’t want to go anywhere without you. That’s why when people adopted him, but not you he would get into trouble so they’d put him back in the orphanage. When L. Joe wasn’t around I was in charge of your safety…I think that’s how you started to develop feelings for me.” Niel’s face was even redder now.

“That’s a cute story.”

“Uh…do you still like me?”

Niel is one of your biases so you guess that meant you liked him. “Yes.”

“That’s good to know because I like you,” he confessed. You smiled down at your feet. “Oh, is that L. Joe?”

Your eyes left your feet and you looked in front of you. L. Joe was with his circle of friends and as if he sensed your presence he looked right at you. He said something to his friends before jogging up to you and Niel. He ignored you and studied Niel. “Niel?” he inquired.

“Yeah, it’s me!” They both smiled and hugged. “I have some great news, too,” Niel said as they separated.

“What is it?”

“I’m going to ask Y/N out.”

‘What?!

 

 

NEXT TIME ON 'MY LIFE IS A KOREAN DRAMA?!' (Quotes are in no particular order. They are meant to confuse you.)

 

"I want people to know that we're together.”

"Good. Call me and I'll pick you up wherever."

“It’s…beautiful.”

As you and Kris exited the room together, the tall Chinese male asked, “Are you doing anything tonight?”