2.1. That Weird Kid

My Life Is A Korean Drama?!

You could hear your mother’s sobs in your sleep. You felt bad for your parents because even though this was like something out of drama is was real to them. You couldn’t cry with them because you weren’t close to them. In this situation you felt completely helpless. However, there was no doubt in your mind that L. Joe would return because that’s how it always happens in the dramas. At least, that’s what you kept telling yourself so you could sleep somewhat peacefully.

The next day at school the first thing Niel asked you was for L. Joe’s whereabouts. You shrugged and replied monotonously, “Army.”

“What??? Please tell me you’re not serious.”

You pursed your lips. “If I said that I would be lying.” You walked away before he could say anything else.

Not feeling hungry, you skipped out on lunch to explore the school premises. You needed to get familiar with the building anyway. Who knows how long you’d be stuck here for? Eventually, you settled behind the gym building and leaned against the wall. In an effort to waste time, you started on one of your homework assignments. You were so absorbed in your work that you didn’t notice the other individual occupying the same space as you.

“Hey, you!”

You briefly looked up from your task at the person trying to get your attention. When you did you had to do a double-take. “Y-Yongguk?” Said person grinned and strolled up to you. He stood right next to you. “Can I help you?”

He couldn’t stop smiling for some reason. “You know my name?”

“S-Shouldn’t I?”

Yongguk shook his head. “I didn’t think you’d remember my name. We’ve only talked once. This would be the second time we’ve spoken since this school year started.”

“Are we in a class together?”

“Yep. Advanced English.”

How could you have missed Bang Yongguk?! You blushed. “I’m sorry for not recognizing you from class.”

“It’s okay. No harm done. So what brings you out here?”

“Not hungry.”

“But I hear they’re serving spicy ramyun. Their spicy ramyun is to die for,” he mewed.

Your lips curled a little at the comical expression he was making. “That’s okay. I don’t even know what that is so I probably wouldn’t eat it.”

“You don’t know what ddukbokki is?!” You shook your head. “Aish, you’re really missing out. I’ll buy you some next time.”

“No, that’s okay. We’re still unacquainted so that would be kinda weird…”

“Nonsense! After you’ve had some you’ll be on your knees thanking me.” He smirked.

You smiled. He was obviously trying to make you feel better. You allowed him to continue to humor you with his jokes and stories before final period started and you walked to Advanced English together. As soon as you entered the room, Kris stole you away from Yongguk. They glared at each other briefly before they went to their respective seats.

“What was that about?” You asked when you sat down next to Kris.

“I think I’m jealous,” he confessed. You smirked. “Yesterday, you went on a date with some guy you’ve never even mentioned to me. You walk into class with that weird kid…and when I wanted to study alone with you your brother had to supervise us.” He groaned.

“I’m sorry, Kris. I didn’t know you felt that way about me.”

“Ah, I’ll get over it,” he waved you off. “Speaking of L. Joe…where is he? I haven’t heard from him since Saturday.”

You frowned and lowered your eyes. “He joined the army.”

He scoffed. “What the hell? Don’t lie about things like that.”

You looked him dead in the eyes. “I’m not lying. He left this morning. If you don’t believe me you should come by the house. Mom is hysterical.”

Kris blinked in astonishment. Then he scrutinized your face, frowned, and returned his attention to the front of the class just when SE7EN walked in.

Class was uncomfortable; mostly because Kris kept eyeing you out of the corner of his eyes. Also, you knew he was seething with anger because he applied so much pressure on his paper with his pencil that the tip kept on breaking. As soon as SE7EN dismissed the class you were uprooted from your chair by strong hands and hauled out of the room.

 

 

NEXT TIME ON 'MY LIFE IS A KOREAN DRAMA?!'

“Ow! Kris!” You squealed as he dragged you through the school gates so that the two of you were off school grounds. 

“What are we doing here?”

He narrowed his eyes at you. “Are you doing this just to bug me? ‘Cause if you are, it’s working.”

Key stomped up to Kris and yelled, “What’s this I hear about L. Joe joining the army?!”

“…L. Joe couldn’t be around the family anymore.”