1.6. A Monitored Study Date

My Life Is A Korean Drama?!

 

“No.”

“But L. Joe!” You whined as your brother sped up his pace. You had been trying to convince him to allow you to study at Kris’ house while the two of you walked home. “Studying with Kris might improve my performance on tomorrow’s test!”

L. Joe looked over his shoulder at you. “Why can’t you just study with me?”

“Because if I study with you who does that leave Kris to study with?” He didn’t have an answer. “Exactly.”

“Fine,” he groaned. “You can study with him.”

“Yes!-“

“But on one condition.”

“What’s the condition?”

“I must be there.”

You wanted to say “hell no”, but you got that L. Joe was just playing the role of your big brother. You complied, “Okay…”

L. Joe was the one who texted Kris the time to pick you up and the directions to the house. While L. Joe was texting Kris, Kris was texting you. He seemed grumpy if the angry emoticons were anything to go by. Kris came to pick you up in a clean expensive car.

“He’s rich?” You whispered to L. Joe. He nodded and added, “Very.”

Kris got out of his car to show off his wheels. “Pretty cool, huh?”

“I’m more of an antique kind of gal.”

He scoffed, “Whatever you say. Get in.”

L. Joe sat in the front seat and you sat in the backseat. You felt small compared to them when you were sitting in the back. The ride to Kris’ house was half an hour and you were bored listening to the two males talk about nothing of interest to you. You thanked the heavens when the car pulled up in his driveway.

“Don’t touch anything when we get inside,” Kris warned L. Joe and you both. He parked the car and everyone unloaded the vehicle.

Kris’ house was nice, but too big for your tastes. You stayed close to L. Joe as Kris guided you through his mansion. You saw a few personnel performing cleaning duties around the house. They looked exhausted.

“Do they live here?” You inquired.

“No. Their shifts are over at seven. They’ll be gone soon,” Kris answered. The tour ended in front of a set of double doors. “This is my room.” He pushed open the doors, revealing a wide room with a couch, desk, entertainment center, king-sized bed, and mini bar.

“Whoa,” you gasped and stepped forward into the room. Kris’ room was probably five times the size of yours. “Where will we study?”

“Over there.” Kris pointed at the couch where a coffee table was placed in front.

L. Joe’s phone suddenly started to ring. “It’s our parents,” he announced and disappeared into the hallway.

You started setting things up on the coffee table while Kris retrieved drinks and snacks from the mini bar. You thanked him as he handed you a small soda. “Where are your parents?”

Kris shrugged, “I don’t know.”

You gawked at him. “Are they missing? Kidnapped?...Dead?”

“No,” he giggled. “I don’t know where they are, but they must be okay since someone’s paying the rent on this place.”

“When’s the last time you saw them?”

“When I was five,” he stated nonchalant. You frowned at this.

L. Joe returned and informed you that your parents were just worried. He regretted to apprise them about your whereabouts. “Okay, let’s begin!” You exclaimed.

It ended up being L. Joe who was tutoring you and Kris instead of you helping Kris. Kris was right. L. Joe really was smart. He knew things you should know, but didn’t. In an hour, the study date morphed into a play date. The three of you entertained yourselves with some board games and Chinese poker. You were on a roll and won every round.

At nine, L. Joe said it was time to leave. Kris nodded and amenably returned his guests to their home. Feeling sanguine, you said good night to your mom, dad, and L. Joe. It surprised your folks, but L. Joe didn’t seem fazed.

“You still like Niel?” L. Joe asked when he appeared in the doorway of your bedroom.

“I’m not sure. Didn’t I like him when we were younger?”

“Yeah, but that was ten years ago. I would think your feelings for him were different now.”

You remembered your thoughts at school earlier. “Is it bad if I like Niel?”

“…no. He’s a good person. I’m just worried you’re not being rational because of the way you’ve been behaving.”

Not the answer you were looking for. You were expecting something along the lines of ‘Yes, because I like you Y/N!’ L. Joe thought you were quiet because you were uncomfortable. He sighed and quietly said “good night” before he went to his room which was down the hall.

You sighed and plopped onto your bed. There was a ‘bing’ followed by a vibration and you picked up your phone that was lying on the desk. It was text from Kris.

‘I’m sorry it wasn’t just the two of us. Maybe next time.’

You smirked at the screen and typed a quick and flirty “maybe”.

So maybe L. Joe didn’t like you, but you were positive Kris did. You wiggled in your bed out of glee. 

 

 

NEXT TIME ON 'MY LIFE IS A KOREAN DRAMA?!'

Your energy deflated. "But I don't remember him and L. Joe said I'm not allowed to date so there goes that."

“I invited him,” L. Joe said as he walked into the kitchen where everyone had been assembled. “I hope that’s fine, umma,” he smiled at her.

“Guess I’m overreacting.”

“This is to celebrate Y/N’s success in her studies. I’m proud to have two bright and wonderful children. I hope that you may continue to make progress in school and in life,” she finished. Everyone toasted.

“This isn’t a date though, is it?”

“You can call me ‘oppa’ if you want. Better yet, just call me ‘oppa’ from now on.”