Chapter VIII

'Til Death Do Us Part.

 

Aoi's POV 

 

          It's been a while since I last cried. I hated the feeling of crying for countless hours. My head felt like it was throbbing, and I was almost blinded by tears forming on my eyes.

         Uruha... Why did it have to happen now.  

        Why.. did it have to happen. Everything..was going great between us.

        Why did he have to lie? Why did he have to tell me he was alright..when in reality.. he was suffering.

 

        

 

       A day has passed since Uruha's latest attack. He still didn't wake up. No matter how many times I try and wake him up. Nothing happened. 

 

 

" I'm sorry but... Kouyou-kun's days.. are almost on it's end. We can't do anything to save him anymore.  "

 

       That's what the doctor said. I... I don't believe it. Uruha..Uruha will still wake up. He promised me he'd stay with me forever.

 

He promised me..

_________________________________________________________________ 

 

           I layed beside him as he peacefully slept. I didn't go anywhere. I didn't leave his side.. Not even once. I waited and waited for him to call out my name once again. I was willing to wait... for him to smile at me.. for him to hold my hand and say that he's gonna be fine.

        I rested my head beside his arm, holding his hand so tight that I never wanted to let go. Takashima-san did the same. She was on the other side of the bed, praying and hoping that everything would turn out alright for her son.

_________________________________________________________________ 

       

" M-Mom... Aoi..? " 

 

       Was I dreaming? I heard Uruha's tender voice call out my name. I sat up and saw him, trying to open his eyes. I looked at Takashima-san. She cried in happiness as she embraced him. 

     I was lost for words. I still had his hand in mine. 

     Before I realized it, I felt something warm roll down my cheek. Was I crying..? 

 

" Oi.. You're such a crybaby.. " he looked at me, still looking really tired, as he smiled and laughed slightly. 

 

" Kouyou.. Kouyou.. Y-Your father's on his way here now, okay..? B-Be strong.... Everything will be alright.. n-ne? " his mother's voice trembled as she simultaneously talked while crying. 

 

" M-Mom.. you know that's not true.. " he smiled; with visible pain hidden inside his eyes.

 

" Kouyou... A-Are you hungry? Do you want anything? " she avoided the statement her son just said; changing the topic. She held on to his blanket and gripped it tight with her trembling hands.

 

" I'm not hungry.. :) " 

 

" Y-You idiot.. Take that back. Don't you dare leave us... " I said, embracing him to the fullest. My tears made his shoulders slightly wet, as I tried to limit my cries. 

 

" ....... I...I'm sorry." it took a while before he said anything. He sounded so exhausted. He looked so tired that he couldn't even talk properly. " You must regret meeting me.. " he continued to speak, hiding the depression in his voice. 

 

What in the world was he talking about? You..You're not going to say goodbye to me...are you?Because.. you'll be with me forever, right? 

 

" What are you saying? I.. don't regret meeting you. I never will. Y-You're the best thing that has come to my life. So don't say that I regret meeting you because, t-that's not true. " I tried to stop my tears as I brushed my fingers along his soft hair.

 

He only stared at me for a while, not saying one word. 

.

 I made him cry. 

 

" Come on, d-don't say those things... I.. I'm going to di- "

" Don't you ever say that word. You're not... You're not going to.. " I myself couldn't say that word. I couldn't accept it.

" Your birthday's coming up. W-We'll celebrate together right? We're going to celebrate.. You, y-your mom and dad, also me.. right? " 

" .... " he didn't say a word. Come on, tell me that you agree. Say "Yes" ... Why.. aren't you saying anything.

 

He averted his gaze away from mine, and closed his eyes. 

 

" Mom.. I love you.. Sorry for being such a bad son.. hurting you like this. Tell dad too.. I love the both of you so much.. " he said. His closed eyes  had tears forming in them. It flowed down his flushed cheeks, and that's when Takashima-san broke down. She couldn't hold it in any longer. She cried terribly. 

 

" Kouyou..Kouyou.. " she mumbled his name over and over. Her hands still shaking as she held onto his. 

 

" Aoi.. I love you. Thank you.. for keeping up with a person like me. " I can hear that he silently whimpered, under the blanket that he just covered his face with. 

 

" I'm sorry.. I'm sorry.. " 

 

He said over and over. I don't know what to say anymore.. 

 

" "K-Kouyou-kun.. What do you want to be when you grow up?" " that sentence I said back when we were younger always striked me. I noticed Uruha's mother look at me in confusion. 

 

" Yuu-kun..? " 

 

" ".....................I...I don't know.. " " Uruha said, under the sheets. 

 

Eh..? Y-You were supposed to say something else after that, right? Why.. aren't you...

 

" Aoi, I'm sorry.. " 

 

NO!! Why are you apologizing?! No.. No.. Uruha... You can't.. leave me..

 

" Mom.. Aoi.. I'm tired.. Can.. Can I rest for a while? " he mumbled.

 

Takashima-san's eyes widened in fear as she thought of what to say. 

 

"  K-Kouyou.. " her eyes became more red than before. She cried, hiding her whimpers as she looked at me; as if asking for help. 

 

" P-Promise me I'll see you later.. tomorrow..ne? " I tried to restrain my trembling voice as I spoke; feeling frightened. 

 

" .......O-Okay.... " I saw the blanket above him wet because of his tears. The dark, wet areas in some parts of the blanket grew larger after he spoke. 

 

" That's.. That's good... "

 

 

" T-Then.. I'm going to...rest...now.. "

after that... his voice faded out into silence I couldn't bear. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

" I love you.. "

I silently whispered. Hoping his response would be the same. 

But I..

I.. I didn't hear anything. 

 

 

 

" KOUYOU!!!!! No... Kouyou... Don't leave us.. No... " Uruha's mother jolted out of her seat and removed the blanket away from Uruha's face. She embraced him tight, placing her head on top of his chest while she cried in sorrow. She patted his face, still hoping that he would awaken.

 

 

I looked at the both of them.

I looked at Uruha's face. His cheek still had traces of tears left. 

I looked away in tears, not wanting to believe this cruel reality. 

 

 

 

 

This...

 

 

                                            was.......

 

 

                                                                                       ............not happening.