six.

One Gamer, One Life

"So. We have to come up with a name for you, Soojung," Jinri says. She plops onto her bed with a soft pillow in her arms while her eyes are focused intently on her new friend.

"I don't know, what should we name me?" Soojung replies absentmindedly.

"It has to be an English name, right? Stephanie? Heather? May?"

"Uh, sorry, but not those."

"I agree," Minho pops out of nowhere into the girls' room. "I've been thinking about that, too, and I have a good idea."

"Tell us, we're running out of them already."

"Her name is Soojung. Soojung in Korean is crystal, so how about Crystal?"

"Pretty good," Soojung acknowledges.

"Yeah, but it's so... common. Can we change it a bit? Like, C-R-Y-S-T-U-L instead?" Jinri suggests.

"No." The other two quickly rejects it, which makes Jinri pout.

"But I think you're right about being too common. It'll actually be more obvious if it was like that," Soojung adds, since she feels sorry for rejecting her idea so fast. "How about Krystal, with a K instead of a C? It's more unique, right?"

"Doesn't seem so bad," Minho agrees thoughtfully. "Now we need a last name."

"I got this," Jinri says excitedly. "Kim! The most common household name of Korea!"

"Krystal Kim. Not bad," the newly christened Krystal says.

"I know, right? Come on, let's tell mom!"

"No need for that, girls and Minho. I heard everything," Mrs. Choi's voice says outside the door. The person who had spoken opens the door, revealing Mrs. Choi herself. "So where in the US was she living?"

"Los Angeles, in California." Minho replies. The girls say nothing, because they know Minho has got them all down in his mind.

"Ah, typical. Have you guys thought of her parent's details?" She addresses the group itself, but actually it's mainly a question for Minho, since he usually memorizes these important things.

"The mom can be the Choi, your sister. She'll be YooSun Choi, and she was 42 years old when she died. Her birthdate was October 24th. The father is DukHan Kim, 45 years, birthdate January 6th. That's as far as we've gotten."

"And that's all we need. Soojung-I mean, Krystal can't be expected to know more than that. You can create a few things about them, like their hobbies and small details." This last statement was for Krystal, since she would be the one who lives with a deceased pair of parents that nobody knew. The addressed nods slightly, and Mrs. Choi turns back to Minho.

"Minho, it would do us good if you try to forget this. It would be weird if you knew the birthdates of people you've never met, right?" Minho nods as well, and Mrs. Choi smiles. "Well then, everyone, let's go to the citizenship place! Oh, I almost forgot. Krystal, try to act all teary and sad, kind of lost, okay?"

"Sure," she replies quietly.

 

•           

 

"Hello there, how may I help you?"

"Oh, hello. I'm here to register a new citizen of Korea," Mrs. Choi greets.

"Ah, please come here. Which one of you is our new citizen?" The receptionist leads them to a separate room reserved for new citizenship business.

"This girl over here." She gestures vaguely towards Soojung/Krystal. "Her name is Krystal Kim."

He sits down and points to the chair opposite him. "I see. Please, have a seat, Ms. Krystal." When she does, he says, "Hello, Ms. Krystal. May I call you Krystal?"

She nods hesitantly.

"My name is BoWon Kang. Mr. Kang is fine."

Again, Krystal nods slightly in reply.

"I will just have a few questions for you. If you can, please answer verbally, since I will be writing the answers you supply down and won't be able to see your face."

"Yes, sir."

"Is this lady over here your legal guardian?"

"Not yet."

"I'm sorry?" Mr. Kang leans forward for an explanation.

Taking a deep breath, she starts to softly tell him the story they had prepared. "I stayed illegally in America with my parents until I had to come here. Since I had no passport or any identification, a rich friend of my parents told me to ride their jet with them. They accompanied me into Korea and led me to my only relatives left, which is actually her and her family. They told her to come here and get my citizenship fulfilled, but they had no time to help me out."

"Ah, so she is a relative, but not a legal guardian yet."

"Yes."

"I understand. I need more information about you and your parents. Please tell me their names, birthdates, and age. I suspect they don't have a social security number or any identification?"

"Yes."

"Okay, and please tell me about yourself as well. Your full and legal name, age, birthdate as a start."

"My name is Krystal Kim. I am currently 17 years old, and my birthdate is August 12th." (A/N: I know her real birthday is in October, but I'm going to say that Minho and Jinri changed her birthday because her mom might follow her up on that.)

"And your parents?"

"My m-mother's name," she chokes back tears. "Is YooSun Choi. She was going to turn 42 this year on October 24th (A/N: Real Krystal's birthday). And my dad..." Krystal bows her head a little and takes a deep, shuddering breath. "45 this year on January 6th, is Dukhan Kim." Her voice convincingly cracks on her father's name.

"Oh." Mr. Kang asks gently, "The date they passed away?"

"April 10th," she answers back in a shaking whisper.

"I'm sorry, Krystal. Do you want to take a brief break?"

"No, it's okay." She wipes away her tears with her head still down, then looks up and tries to smile. "I'll get this over with sooner."

"Well then. Where did you live?"

"I don't know the exact address, but it was in Los Angeles, California on South Kenmore Avenue."

"Okay. Thank you, that's all for today. And, Mrs...?"

"Me? Oh, Choi."

"Mrs. Choi, I'll need your number and where you are staying."

After giving out the appropriate information, she inquires, "And when will her citizenship papers come out?"

"It usually takes a month, but I'll particularly try to help this one along. A few weeks, and her passport picture should be ready to take as well. The details on what you need to do will be on this packet," he explains as he gives her a thick packet.

"Thank you, Mr. Kang. Have a nice day."

"You too. Goodbye, Mrs. Choi and Krystal!"

They leave the building in a slight hurry and the moment they close the doors of the car, the Choi family starts to cheer.

"Soojung! I mean, Krystal! You were that good at acting?"

"You should've joined our drama club! You could've been the star!"

"It's nothing," Soojung laughs softly at their praise. "I was just lying."

"That's not what I call lying," Mrs. Choi claims. "That's what I call acting, Krystal! You were so modestly sad, which almost made me cry as well!"

"Yeah! That voice cracking and wiping of tears was awesome. It was like watching a drama!"

"And we should know. We watch a lot of sad dramas."

"Omigosh, Krystal! I'm going to make you joing the club with me next time." All the way back to the Choi's house, they kept praising and complimenting Soojung's acting.


Yo guys. It's a kind of short chapter here, not very long, but oh well. So I changed some dates around, and now Krystal's birthday is in April! Please don't be mad about that. And the next chapter, the rest of SHINee and f(x) will make its appearance and constantly be there. Are you listening, SHINeeEffects fans? Haha okay I have nothing to say here. Oh yes, a poster may or may not be coming soon. I have no idea--I asked my friend to make one for me. Anyways, thanks for those who keep commenting and supporting! :) Have a nice day everyone!