twentythree.

One Gamer, One Life

"That's me!"

"Hey look! It's you! I found you!"

"Oh, I'm paired up with you! Yes!"

"What?! Oh my gosh, I don't have to be a psychic to know that's not a good pair..."

In front of a certian bulletin board in a certain high school, there is a heavy crowd of people, all clambering to get a glance on what the bulletin board says. If one goes to this school, one can easily recognize that the group consists of seniors and juniors, and the occasional underclassmen. Midst all these sounds and voices and people stand three people: Minho, Luna, and Onew. Minho, with his formidable height, is easily looking over everyone's heads. Luna has given up, and Onew is still trying.

Minho finds his friends' names first. "Luck is on your side, it seems," he announces dramatically, a grin lighting up his face. Perhaps the dramatic streak ran through the family. "Luna, your partner is the one and only... Onew hyung!"

Immediately, a scream can be heard. It's obviously Luna, since the joy is evident on her face. Her high tone scream, however, causes people within the 10 meter distance to clap their hands over ears. Onew probably would have done the same, but he is decidedly frozen and reddening due to Luna throwing her hands over her dear oppa.

With another smile, she bounds out of the throng of people to go tell her friends the great news. Onew stays rigid, much to the amusement of the younger boy. "Hyung, what's this I see?  Is that a blush on our high and mighty leader?"

"Not a word," Onew warns. Red is still dusting his cheeks, but unfortunately for Minho, he seems to have gained back control of his body. "She just... took me by surprise, that's all." They both know it's a lie, but Minho chooses not to pursue it further. But he mentally notes to himself to tell the other guys when Onew is busy-- it's a must.

He turns his attention to the board again as Onew wanders off. Minho's huge eyes roam the huge piece of paper-- thank goodness for his perfect eye sight--  and finally spots his name. "Kwon Yuri?" he reads aloud.

A voice answers him. "That's me!" Minho turns around to find a pony-tailed girl, smiling up at him. He vaguely wonders if he'd seen her before-- her face features does not seem too foreign. The familiar stranger sticks out her hand. "Kwon Yuri, at your service! I'm guessing you're Minho Choi, junior?"

The junior nods slowly, reaching out to respond to the hand shake. "Hello, Yuri-noona, senior. It's an honor to meet you."

"The honor is mine." She looks down at the very bright green watch on her wrist, then frowns. "I've got to go. But it really was cool, meeting you. You're really tall. I'm going to go now. Later!" With a smile flashed his way, she turns and promptly disappears into the crowd.

Minho shakes his head, overwhelmed. That noona had been almost as cheerful as Luna, and that is saying a lot. He turns to find his friends, and almost instantly bumps into Taemin the moment he comes out of the huge group of people. They walk home together, with Key and Amber fighting about something random, Taemin, Sulli, and Krystal going off about a teacher, Luna and Onew talking, Jonghyun and Victoria on the phone.

His lips move upwards, feeling so full and content in the middle of his great friends. Though not a year had passed, he feels closer to this seemingly mismatched group of people; Minho belongs here, and they belong there as well. It is a happy feeling, and he doesn't want it to end.

 

•    •    •    •

 

"I hate algebra."

"Me too."

"Me three."

"Don't we all."

"Not me! I like math."

"Because you're a weirdo like that."

"Ha! Says you, the weirdest one among us!"

"Who says?"

"We all say. Right?"

"Key, don't give out false information."

"What?!"

"See?"

Krystal's personal grumble, taken up by Taemin and Sulli, then the rest of the group,  can be seen as the cause of why Key is now pouting and Amber is looking so victorious.

"Stop pouting, weirdo. You look gross."

"I have to pout to look gross. You only have to look like you!" A loud smack echoes through the room. "Ow! Hyung!"

To the rest of the group, the two boys look like father and son-- Onew playing the disapproving father, Key the naughty son. "You shouldn't insult others like that."

"But it's Amber!" the 'son' whines. "Amber doesn't count as 'others!'"

This time, it's Victoria-- the 'mom' perhaps-- to slap him lightly on his shoulder. "Be nice. Amber is a softie."

As Key rubs his shoulder and back of his neck, he glares at Amber who is innocently smiling at him. When both leaders turn away, the two rivals stick out their tongues to each other simultaneously.

Jonghyun, who had been watching everything until the end, snickers to himself and returns back to his homework as well.

The room becomes quiet once more, each individual focusing on their own projects. The silence is broken yet again by Krystal-- "Algebra should go and die."

"Agreed."

"I second that."

"Don't we all."

"Not me! I like math."

"Because you're a weirdo--"

"Stop!" Victoria, feeling a serious case of deja vu coming, blinks at Krystal. "What's wrong, Krys?"

"Function, x's and y'x, whoever made them is awful."

The mother of the group smiles. "Are you having trouble with your math? Maybe I can help you."

"Help me too!"

"And me!"

The ever loyal Sulli and Taemin pipe up as well. The three sophomores smile at each other, the empathy helping them all.

"Okay. So f of x is f(x), right? The f stands for function, and so the function changes whatever x becomes. If f(x) is x+2, then f(2) IS 2+2, Which is 4. Do you understand?"

Sulli slowly nods. "It's like, whatever you replace x with, the f is going to adapt to it."

The female leader nods, satisfied. "Yup."

Luna had been quiet through all this, but now she speaks. "Hey, what if we make that our name? We're the function, and whatever you make 'x' to be, we'll adapt!"

The new idea hangs in the air for a moment, before sounds of approvement rise.

"Yeah, good idea."

"Makes sense, too."

"Isn't 'x' another thing for some kind of girl thing?"

"You girls can be f(x)!"

"Yes! We have a name!" High fives and cheers fill the room, sounds of the bright-eyed youths making any listener smile.

"Hey, how about us?" Jonghyun's question quiets the room effectively, as the boys ponder this now.

Taemin frowns, thoughtful. "Someone told us we shine when we sing-- remember?"

The girl next to him snaps, "Of course we do! She was fangirling so hard." Jinri's eyes narrow, fire burning in the innocent eyes. "She's the type to become sasaeng fans, you know."

When the group responds with laughter, Sulli's expression changes to one of surprise. "What's so funny?"

"You!" Amber chokes out. "You're so cute, you know that?"

Surprise takes a turn for bewildered as the group agrees wholeheartedly. "Cute? How was I cute? I was irritated right then!" Taemin, she notices, is just as confused as she is.

Krystal pats her best friend's back. "Oh, we all get it, Ssul. You were jealous."

"Jealous...?" Sulli blinks twice, not comprehending the word. Then her face explodes in red. "Jealous! I'm not jealous! There's no reason I'd be jealous!"

Taemin's face has also flushed. "Yeah! We're not... dating... or anything! She was just worried about me! Right?" They all notice that even when the two of interest face each other, they avoid looking into each other's eyes, and it just makes the group laugh even harder at the adorable girl and boy.

After they all settle down, the boys go back to thinking up a name.

"Shine, huh?" Onew muses. "What if we just put 'Shine' or 'Shiny?'"

Minho shrugs. He is playing the secretary, writing down all the ideas. He spells out 'shine' slowly, then starts working on 'shiny.'

S.

H.

Taemin is getting impatient. He's looking over the older boy's shoulder, taking in what he is writing.

I.

It's infuriating for the fast-paced boy to see Minho write that slow. He wants to just steal the pen and paper from his hyung and write down the rest.

EEEEEEEENNNNNNNNNNNNNNN.

"Gah!"

In a flurry of motion, suddenly the pen and paper is absent from Minho's hands, and are in Taemin's instead. In his haste, he writes 'ee' instead of 'y.'

Minho looks up indignantly. "Hey!"

Immediately humbled by Minho's wide and demanding eyes, Taemin gives back the paper and writing utensil sheepishly. "Sorry, hyung. You were writing too slow."

Onew peers at the writing. "You spelled it wrong. You wrote SHINee, when it's SHINY."

Key, who had also been observing the paper, makes a sound of thought. "You know, it looks pretty good like that too."

Acceptance comes slowly, as each member of the future boy group looks over the six-lettered word.

"Cool, in a weird way."

"True. It might work."

"Yay! Now we all have names!"

Again, noises of happiness ensues. The group, now f(x) and SHINee, finishes their homework in glee, everyone but Key's hate for algebra and math completely forgotten. Once the required work is done, they clamor over the laptop to put in their group officially.

It is, alas, a very happy night for a specific five girls and five boys.


Hi, everyone! Long time, no update... yet again. Sorry. As always. Hope you enjoyed this short chapter-- finally the long-awaited names, f(x) and SHINee! I know the naming process for SHINee was reaaally lame. Another thing I must be sorry for! Anyways, for the senior-junior project (which I will call as SJ Project), you have to sign up for it. So even though, like, Jonghyun and Key and others are juniors, they aren't included in this SJ Project. That is all for today, now excuse me as I watch Detective Conan. Oh, right-- thanks to all subscribers, new and old, commenters (much loved) and silent readers alike. Please keep reading! :)