Chapter 1: Talk about Bad News

Operation: Wedding Sabotage
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Chapter 1: Talk about Bad News

DARA

I’ve always dreamed of becoming a fashion designer. The first thing that I remember dreaming of as a child was to be surrounded by beautiful clothes. I often went through my aunt Ji Yeon’s closest and try on her beautiful dresses. I remember living with her and my grandmother all my life because I lost both my parents while I was still a baby. They died on a car accident while bringing me home from the hospital.

After hearing that story I thought of myself as bad luck but my my halmuhnee (grandma) and my gomo (aunt) would always make me feel otherwise. They are my loving family who have supported me and my dream that’s why I made it this far.  

I, Sandara Park am the newest addition to the fashion house of Givenchy. After I finished studying at the Fashion Institute of Technology New York which I got in through a scholarship grant, I worked real hard in getting into a prestigious fashion house. I did one odd job to another and most of my assistant designer works were to run errands and to fetch this and that for the main designer I was working under. I was almost ready to give up when the junior designer’s competition came up and I won. That paved the way for me to become a full pledged designer.

I have sacrificed a lot to get this far. I even turned down Kwon Ji Yong, my best friend and my first love. It’s funny because I’ve always loved him and yet when he finally confessed I rejected him. Maybe it was a case of bad timing. Who knows maybe one day we’ll see each other again and we can finally be together. I have always kept that idea in my mind until one eventful day came and I got a phone call from Chaerin my best friend.

 “Borago! Ji Yong is getting married,” I blurted out in disbelief. He’s getting married, those words kept echoing in my head.

“Unnie they’re getting married at the end of the month,” Chaerin explained. “I bet he will contact you soon. I heard the bride doesn’t have a maid of honor yet since she didn’t grow up in Korea. “

“This can’t be happening. I thought he was going to wait for me,” I muttered.

“You have to come back to Korea that’s the only way to stop the wedding,” Chaerin reasoned.

“But I have work. I have to prepare for my collection this coming season,” I retorted. I was finally given the opportunity to take the lead on a project and it’s not a simple fit even if it’s 3 months from now. Being able to showcase my collection for the New York Fashion week is a once in a lifetime opportunity.

“Are you willing to let go of him again. If you don’t tell him that you love him then that will definitely be the end of it,” my best friend reasoned.

“Ottoke! I’ll think about it. I don’t think I’ll get an opportunity to design for a Fashion week project again if I pass on this one out,” I explained. I also know that once he gets married it’s completely over between us.

“The wedding will take place in less than 3 weeks. The ceremony and the reception are all going to be held in Jeju. Apparently Bom’s family is quite well off; they own a hotel resort there. They’re flying the guest over for a whole week vacation but since I’m working as stylist we’re flying in in a few days. As soon as Ji yong oppa contacts you please fly back to Korea as soon as possible,” Chaerin pleaded.   

“Arasso, arasso. I will tell you once I’ve decided,” I replied to her. I’m not really sure about what I should do.

Before I knew it tears started falling and I was sobbing. My chest hurt so badly almost making it hard for me to breath. Is this what I get for being ambitious, for trying so hard to achieve my dreams, I kept asking myself. It was getting worse; I was making one sharp breath after another.

“Dara, what’s happening, are you okay,” asked, Heechul another Korean designer working at Givenchy. He went up to me to check how I was doing. He’s my sunbae in college and he was the one who got me the assistant job initially.

I had a big crush on him before only to find out that we both like guys. He has been like a best friend to me ever since. He’s also my roomie here in New York since I don’t have Chaerin and Ji Yong around. He was someone I can easily talk to so I was able to easily open up to him.

“Go back to Korea. I can cover for you if it’s only 3 weeks. Just send the design drafts over through email. If you’re running after your happiness 3 weeks wouldn’t hurt,” Heechul said to me as he tried to stop my sobbing. 

I clung to him and cried even more.

“You’re such a crybaby,” he told me as he patted my head. “How can you still be cute when you’re crying,” he jokingly asked me.

I couldn’t help but laugh at what he said.

“You’re such a er for complements,” he commented. He always knew what the right t

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter