What about Jiho?

In Denial

Hani clutched her schoolbag close to her chest as she stood waiting, in the rain. The raindrops pelted her from all directions and she could tell she looked like a drowned rat. How long would it take him?

 

“We're moving to Busan,” Hani's mother squealed excitedly. Hani glared at her.

“We can't move right now! I have exams at school, I have a dance show coming up, so much is happening,” Hani complained.

“But darling, it's such a great opportunity!” Hani's father told her, rubbing his tired eyes.

“I know, but I have just as many great opportunities here, in Seoul. Why can't I stay with Grandma?”

“You know she can barely look after herself, let alone a busy 16-year old. Come on, Hani, do something for us for once.”

Hani's eyes widened at how unfair her parents were being, and they knew it.

“Isn't there a family friend I can stay with?” Hani asked desperately.

“I suppose... no...I mean maybe you could... no...”

Hani sat down on the kitchen table patiently.

“What about Jiho?” Hani's father suggested, looking up.

“Yes! Jiho!” Hani grinned. The last time she'd seen him she was still 10, and he'd been 14, which made him 20 now.

“I suppose I could give him a call...” Hani's mother agreed slowly.

 

Hani kicked the suitcase at her feet. She watched as cars passed and occasionally slowed down through the puddles.

“You need a ride?”

Hani looked around to see a car idling at the edge of the pavement.

“No, thanks. I'm waiting for someone.”

“You're Hani, right?” the man asked.

“...Yes. Why?”

“I'm Zico. Get in.”

Confused, Hani stayed where she was. “I'm waiting for someone called Jiho.”

“Did your parents not tell you my nickname? Would've saved a lot of confusion.”

“You're Jiho?” Something clicked in Hani's head and she blushed, picking up her suitcase. She glanced at him again as she walked round the car to get in and recognised his prominent lips.

 

“Sorry, Jiho,” Hani apologised as she sat shivering.

“Don't worry about it,” he grinned. “I'm Zico, though.” He glanced sideways at her and saw her shivering, covered in goosebumps.

“There's a jacket in the backseat, you can use it as a blanket if you like.”

“Thanks,” Hani said, reaching back to grab it. She wrapped it around herself and subconsciously smelt it. Damn, it smelt good. She smiled to herself and wrapped it around her tightly.

 

“Not much, but it'll do, right?” Zico grinned as he led Hani into his house. Downstairs was a kitchen, a living room and a music room, and upstairs were two bedrooms and a bathroom.

“It's great,” Hani told him. The atmosphere felt awkward, and she wished she'd kept talking to Zico when they weren't at family reunions. Hani was raking her fingers through her wet hair when Zico pulled out his phone and sighed. Hani looked up from putting her soggy school blazer on a hook on the wall.

“Hey, Hani, sorry about this, but I have to go out for a while. You'll be okay on your own, right?” Zico looked genuinely sorry.

“Yeah, that's cool. I can unpack and stuff,” Hani nodded. Something told her not to ask where he was going.

“Thanks. I'll be back in a few hours,” Zico smiled and gave Hani a quick hug before rushing out of the door again. Hani waited until she heard the lock click before letting out a long breath.

 

Picking up her suitcase, Hani started to walk upstairs, impressed by how clean the house was. Did he clean especially for her? Or did he have cleaners? A house as clean as this wasn't natural. Hani shook her head. Now she was alone, she was thinking too far into things. She reached the top of the stairs and walked across the soft carpet, peering into the first room she came across. A bathroom. She carried on down the corridor and saw two doors opposite each other. She chose the one on the right and guessed it was her room- a single bed, a desk and a wardrobe. No pictures on the wall, just some curtains and a window. The walls were a light ivory colour.

 

Hani began to unpack, quickly turning this blank canvas into a new living space. She checked the time, and was surprised to see it had been two hours since Zico had left. Closing the curtains on the darkness, Hani turned and decided to explore the house a little more. She crept through into Zico's room and flicked the light on. The room looked like a bomb had hit it. Clothes were strewn over the floor, the bed wasn't made, sheets of paper were scattered across the room... Hani had to leave quickly.

 

Closing Zico's door quietly, she walked down the corridor as she heard Zico's car pull up. Should she go downstairs? No, it would look like she was waiting for him. She ran back to her room as she door opened and more than one voice entered the house.

 

“Zico, where's the beer?”

“Zico, why is there a girl's school blazer on the wall?”

“Zico, where's this girl you were telling us about?”

Hani sat on her bed, cross legged, watching the door. She heard someone come up the stairs and prayed it was Zico.

“Hani, do you want to come downstairs? We have pizza.” Zico knocked on the door and stood outside.

“Uh, sure. Just let me get changed first,” Hani replied and jumped up. She pulled out some comfy leggings and an oversized jumper then brushed her hair before heading out of her bedroom. She was ready to descend into the buzz of voices when they stopped as they saw her at the top of the stairs.

“Dude, she's pretty,” one attempted to whisper to Zico. He pushed the guy away and smiled up at Hani.

“My friends are idiots, sorry,” he told her. Hani smiled as she walked slowly down the stairs.

“That's okay,” Hani smiled, taking in how tall they all were compared to her.

 

“What school are you at?” the one Hani had been informed was called Taeil asked. He had a kind face.

“Seoul Academy,” Hani told him, watching the reactions of the other men.

“Isn't that... really good?” the one called Jaehyo wondered.

“I guess so... It just means I have to study a lot,” Hani laughed. The eight of them were squashed on sofas, and Hani ended up between Zico and the armrest. Zico cleared his throat.

“Um, Hani, maybe you should go to bed?” he asked, turning to her.

“Why?”

“It's getting pretty late. You should probably try to sleep.”

Hani scowled. “Fine. Bye guys,” she waved as she stood up to go upstairs.

“Bye, Hani!” six of the men chorused, except for Zico. She smirked at him before turning and climbing the stairs.

 

Hani took her shower gel and shampoo into the bathroom along with a towel and her pyjamas. She closed the door quickly, forgetting to lock it. Relaxing in the steam, Hani began to sing quietly and not realising that everyone downstairs could hear. They all sat in silence listening to this voice of an angel.

“I need the toilet!” Yukwon announced, standing up.

“But Hani's in the shower, you can't-” Zico started to protest, but Yukwon ran upstairs before he could finish.

 

Hani was just fixing her towel around her body when Yukwon burst in.

“What are you doing?!” Hani shrieked and pushed him out of the door.

“Hani, I don't think you understand how much pain I am in right now! I need to release these fluids!”

“Boys are so gross,” Hani muttered as she stood behind the door, closing it on Yukwon.

“You can wait until I'm dressed, okay?” she told him.

“Fine,” he huffed. Hani dried herself and threw her pyjamas on- cute shorts and an old band t-shirt. She towel-dried her hair then opened the door again. Yukwon was leaning against the wall, smirking. His eyes wandered to Hani's legs back up to her lips. Hani shook her head in disgust and went to her own room.