2

The Art of War

I jumped off the railing and landed safely on the ground with a thud. I looked around for any Vanguards before making my move to the nearest shadow that I could find. I ran hidden in the shadows before reaching a huge building, a building that could be the answer to my nightmares, a building that contained many long rows of books. It was the Grand Library of the Vampires. I entered the library through an open window and scanned my surroundings in the dark before realising which part of the library I was in. I slowly made my way to the restricted section and slipped past the security cameras. I randomly grabbed a book from the shelf and sat at a nearby table. I had a habit of reading in the middle of the night if I couldn’t sleep but this troublesome nightmare needs to be answered. I opened the book and read the first page.

 

Legend has it that there were once two brothers; one was bitten by a wolf and the other was bitten by a bat. Thus leading to the creation of the werewolf and vampire bloodlines.

 

I was shocked beyond expression. Isn’t this the history book which father forbids me to read when I was young? I flipped to the cover and its title proved me right. It was the only book ever known to record so much of vampire history, more than 2000 years of truth and lies could be found in here. If father had known that I was hiding in the library, reading this book, he would kill me. But the contents of this book are so intriguing that I wish to continue reading on. An imaginary angel and devil appeared in my head and started to argue.

 

“No you can’t. Your father will kill you if he found out about this.” The angel said.

 

“Nah… he won’t do that unless you’re quick to escape.” The devil argued back.

 

“You’re putting your life at stake, including that of your friends and loved one.” The angel told me.

 

“Sometimes, the truth hurts. But it would be much more worth it ultimately.” The devil shouted.

 

“Don’t do it. Think about your coven, your family and your friends.” The angel reassured me once more.

 

“To hell with the coven!” the devil yelled. For some strange reason, I agreed with the devil and flipped to the next page.

 

The first werewolf and the first vampire continued to live harmoniously under one roof. Every night, they would go to the nearby village or forest to hunt for sustenance.

 

Hmm… I thought, if the vampires and werewolves used to be living harmoniously together, what sparked off the war against each other? Is this why the Vampire Council’s been acting weird all this while?