3

The Art of War

Things began to change when the first werewolf didn’t return home from his daily hunting. Days and nights had passed and the first werewolf was nowhere to be found.

 

“Omo! What happened to him?” I squeaked out loud before covering my mouth quickly, realising not to make a sound in the dead of the night. I was about to flip onto the next page when a voice spoke out, “What book are you reading?” “Who’s there?” I cried and quickly hid the book under my clothing whilst scanning my surroundings but it was too dark to spot a figure. He then stepped out of the shadows near the window to reveal his face under the silver moonlight. I immediately stood up from my chair and bowed to him in respect. “Why wouldn’t you listen to your father and stay in your own room? Aren’t you afraid that I would tell him you’re here?” he taunted. Just as he completed his sentence, the alarm blared loudly across the whole city, signalling the escape of a prisoner. That could probably be me, I thought.

 

“You told him that I’m here!” I shouted and punched him squarely in the jaw. Blood leaked out slowly from a crack on his lower lip. “Calm down. I didn’t say anything but I figured it out that you would be here since your coffin was empty.” He responded whilst grabbing hold of my wrists. “No matter what it is, you’re always on his side.” I spat out, onto his face. “You’ve grown stronger I see?” he said whilst wiping his face. “Mianhae milord.” I whispered and hit him hard on the back of his head. His body collapsed into my arms and I laid him down onto a chair nearby. “Father’s been so strict with me. It wouldn’t hurt a little if we managed to keep this a secret right?” I questioned and jumped out from the window to make my escape.

 

The first vampire, being worried for his brother left the house in search for him. From a distance away, he could see smoke slowly rising from the villages and fires engulfing its inhabitants.

 

I had just barely escaped from the Vanguards whom were running around to and fro, in search of someone. I overheard a conversation from some Vanguards, which proved my sixth sense. Father was busy looking for me, he checked on me in the middle of the night but probably found no one sleeping in the coffin. Aish… this father, why can’t he just give me some freedom to roam around? The lord who spotted me wouldn’t even bat an eyelid. He would just go straight and tell my father about my location but I needed to save them first, my darling Doojoon and my friends, Yoseob and Kikwang and their partners, Junhyung and Dongwoon. They must be suffering very badly; given the howls I hear every night, coming from the dungeons. Is there anything that I could do to save them? I thought to myself as I slipped into the shadows. I disguised myself by pulling my hood over my head and hid amongst the garbage in the back alley.

 

His brother’s identity had been exposed which explains the huge, blazing fire. The first vampire searched through the charred houses for his dear brother but found no one.