18

The Art of War

I raised my voice, “Doojoon is my world! And he will always be!” This time, the prison gate unlocked once more and Minhyun came in, “Don’t say that we didn’t warn you. But if any of you were to expect a child from a different species, that child would be way stronger than its own birth parents. It may even go berserk and wipe out all of us.” “But we’re all male! Not female!” I protested. Minhyun proceeded, “Your father was just taking precautions. Anyway, he’s worried sick about you and all you did was to add to his list of worries.” I just laughed it away, “Worried sick you say? Haha what does a vampire so fierce like him have to worry about?”

 

Minhyun sighed, “Not long ago, about 250 years ago, he was bitten by a werewolf at war. The wound healed exactly as it was supposed to but just recently, it aggravated. He visited a witch doctor and the witch doctor told him that the blood from the werewolf had amalgamated with his and that he could become a hybrid one day. So he’s planning to sacrifice himself for the greater good of the coven.” “What? He’s going to murder himself?” I exclaimed. Minhyun revealed, “Sadly yes. But he promised that he would do it after the war has ended. That is why we collaborated with the Werewolf Generals to instigate a coup de tat. So that it’ll bring an earlier end to this war by them killing each other. The werewolf world will implode, not from an attack without but from within.”

 

“How could you guys be so evil?” I bawled my heart out. Minhyun told me, “This is all about survival Hyunseung. You need to be ruthless if you want to survive a war. You have much to learn before you can join the Vampire Council. If we let you go, will you stay beside your father and be a loyal son?” “This may be your last chance to freedom. Are you sure you want to let go all of this for the sake of a werewolf?” Aron stated further. There was a long silence in the thick air before I said, “I’m comfortable on this side. I cannot bring myself to see anyone die under my blood-stained hands anymore…” Upon hearing my response to their question, the two huddled together in one corner of the prison and had a rather silent discussion. After some time, both of them nodded understandingly and turned to face me, “Very well then, we respect your decision. All of you are scheduled to stand for trial in a few hours where the Vampire Council will decide your fate. See you later.” And they removed the magic barricade and left.

 

“Hyung what did they tell you?” Yoseob queried with lots of curiosity. “Yeah what did they tell you?” Kikwang pressed me for answers. “They told me the truth. The ugly truth of the whole story behind this war. This devastating war that claimed many lives. The many innocent lives that were lost and the role that I played in it.” I replied solemnly, with tears welling up at the corner of my eyes. “Hyung you don’t have to feel so sad… whatever’s done is done…” Yoseob comforted me. “Up till the very end… they still pushed… the blame… onto the werewolves. How can I survive without Doojoon? How will you guys live without Junhyung or Dongwoon?” I cried as the first teardrop hit the cold stone. “Hyung there’s still another day… there’s still tomorrow to look forward to.” Kikwang consoled me. Then a sudden realisation hit me… Tears were flowing down my cheeks as I broke the heart-wrenching news to them, “Erm guys… it’s… been decided… that we’ll… stand for trial later…”

 

A/N: Just promoting some upcoming stories, Empire & Maknae High. Please show your fullest support by clicking on the links. Kamsahamnida!