7

The Art of War

“Who’s the guard that’s supposed to be in charge of looking after the prisoners?” one of the guards asked his colleague. “I don’t-” but he couldn’t complete his sentence because I’d ripped his head off. “Wha-” was the only word that came out from the other guard’s mouth as he turned around to face his attacker. Dongwoon pinned him against the wall and gripped his neck tightly. Slowly as the minute rolled by, the guard’s legs stopped trashing around and Dongwoon just let go of him. The Vanguard just collapsed lifelessly onto the ground before us.

 

“Gomawo Dongwoon-ah.” I turned my head to thank the black werewolf. “Aniyo. Thank you, I must, Hyunseung hyung.” “Kaja. Let’s look for the others.” I went to the first cell closest to us whilst Dongwoon went to another. “Hyunseung-ah! What are you doing here?” the person inside shouted. “I’m here to save my boyfriend of course!” I replied cheerfully as I removed the chains and lock on the door. “Pabo.” He said and flicked my forehead. “Yah! Is that all you can say after I saved you?” I yelled back and rubbed the red spot on my forehead. “No words can describe this moment.” He responded and pulled me into deep embrace and pecked my forehead.

 

“Erm… sorry to interrupt but we need to leave as soon as possible.” Junhyung told us. I’m guessing that Dongwoon must have rescued him already. “Why? That’s because you want to see your Yoseob right?” Doojoon teased. “Y-Yah!” Junhyung stuttered and blushed at the same time. “Blushing now you are hyung.” Dongwoon pointed out. Junhyung just ignored him and stormed away. “Kaja.” Doojoon concluded and got out from the prison. We followed him and found Junhyung waiting for us impatiently at the bottom of the flight of stairs. “Can you oldies hurry up? Else we’ll get caught.” He retorted and pointed to the couple of defeated Vanguards that were burning in flames a distance away.

 

“Alright! We’re coming okay!” Doojoon answered softly. We climbed the flight of stairs and were blinded by the suns for a moment. The storm had calmed down; there were no more flashes of lightning and claps of thunder, instead in its place, were ten bright, scorching suns. So how humans feel like with one sun, I thought to myself each time I returned to the vampire world. We disguised ourselves as much as possible, pulling the hoods over our heads to cover our faces, and not to be seen by inspecting Vanguards. We made our way to the suburbs of the city and found an abandoned house. “Let’s rest here for the moment before making any move tonight. Since Yoseob and Kikwang will be under tight security at the moment, we can only rescue them later at night when it’s less obvious.” I announced my plan to them. “Sure.” Doojoon agreed whilst Junhyung and Dongwoon both sighed heavily. “Come on… cheer up guys!” Doojoon shouted and patted their backs. “You need to see this.” I took out the book and showed him. “Bwoh! How come part of this page is torn off?” Doojoon yelled.

 

The first vampire knew about this and tried to stop them but was overpowered by their army of young vampires. Hence he ran away, not even leaving a trace behind. He regretted converting the five of them into vampires. Their names were…