My Brother

One Shot

Your POV

I sigh as I wake up far before anyone else in the stupid house and decide that I’ll go to a library near the school so I won’t have to stay home for longer than needed.

I change quickly not bothering with makeup or my hair.

I pick up an energy drink from the fridge and a bagel as I exit the house.

I smile as I pass high school students leaving for school.

I pass Zelo’s school and stop to see Zelo leaning against the wall.

“Zelo, what are you doing?”

He looks up at me and I notice that he must have remembered what happened yesterday since he looks away from me with a pink tint to his cheeks.

“Oh what happened to my cool Zelo?”

He blushes a bit deeper, “He was an idiot yesterday. I got rid of him for now.”

I sigh feeling a bit sad that Zelo had said that.

I touch his arm where an invisible scar is where you’d have to really look to see lies from where he saved my life when we first met.

I look away from him and notice my brother walking down the sidewalk towards us.

“Zelo, you should go inside,” I tell him.

He looks at me confused until he turns back and sees my brother and shouts, “Youngjae.”

I look away from Zelo and glare at my brother who stops in his steps and waves back to him.

“Hi, Zelo how are you?”

“I’m good just talking with Rose-noona.”

“Ahh, it’s nice to see you, Hyuna.”

I flip him off as I turn around and walk towards my college.

As I’m walking I hear Junhong shout after me soon I’m stopped and looking him in the eyes.

Rose, what was that about?”

I know he’s never met my brother, but do I have the courage to tell him.

“It’s because my sister hates my guts,” I hear my brother tell my best friend and crush.

I watch Zelo’s face change to a different look as he looks between us, “What?”

I look at him and let venom leak into my voice as I tell my brother, “I didn’t hate you that much, but I changed my mind since you told Zelo how I’m related to a scumbag like you. I despise you. Don’t push it too hate.”

As I walk away I’m able to get away from the 2 of them.

I walk right past the school and I end up at an old playground that I use to play at all the time when I was a kid.

This was my safe place.

I wipe away my tears as I look at the sky from under the playset and decide that I’m going to skip school today.

I don’t think I can face anyone else today.

I can’t face anyone…

I’m too much of a coward.

I lean my head back and try to remember if anyone knows about this place.

I think Zelo knows of it, but I’m not sure if he remembers.

I’m not sure how long I’m sitting there until I hear a soft voice that sounds familiar, “Why are you here? Hyuna, you are not a child anymore.”

I look over to see my brother, Youngjae, standing there with his hands on his hips looking upset with me, but I know it’s just a rouse like when we were kids and I would run here.

He’d come and find me to cheer me up until I started to hate him.

I look away from him and hear him sigh as he sits down across from me.

“Are you mad about me telling Zelo that we’re related?”

I look at him and sneer, “What do you think?”

“I’m sorry, but it came out. I’m not even sure if I deserve to call myself your brother anymore since I ruined your life.”

I’m surprised by this since Youngjae is not a big fan of apologizing.

“I’m sorry I know that won’t help with what I’ve done, but I hope it will at least help since I want my sister back.”

“Even if I’m half and from an affair dad had?”

My brother laughs, “Well at least be glad you got all of your mom’s looks instead of dad’s.”

I laugh at him and hug my brother who’s only older than me by a matter of about 6 months.

He leans over and pulls me into a hug, “I’m sorry I let them destroy our brother sister relationship when we were kids. Mom is just upset about it all still and dad well he's confused and a coward.”

I smile at my brother as he helps me stand up, “Come on if you try now you can make it to your first class on time.”

I laugh at him and let him drag me to class.

When I reach it he pushes me forward after saying, “We’ll talk more later on how we can become brother and sister again.”

I nod my head not sure if I really want that, but I know deep inside I want to go back to him being my older brother that protects me.

Before I open the door he’s already disappeared probably on his way to his class.

I open the door and apologize to be late wondering how I let my brother drag me here.

As I sit down I notice that Jongup is staring at me.

“Was that Youngjae?”

I nod my head slowly.

“Why was he dropping you off at class?”

I look at Jongup and ask, “Can you keep a secret?”

He nods his head, “Yeah of course.”

“Youngjae is my half brother.”

I tell him the story about my mother and leave out the parts of her being crazy except when I tell him about her sending me to the hospital in critical condition.

I tell him about how Youngjae and I got along for a while until his mother started to tear us apart and how our father was no help in the matter and I tell him about what happened today.

“I think you should give him another shot and if he messes up tell the guys and they will talk with him,” Jongup tells me calmly.

I smile slightly as I nod my head and look up at the ceiling you’re right. “I guess I’ll have to tell the guys at lunch, huh?”

He nods his head and the class goes silent as the teachers starts today’s lesson.