Please, Please Don't Let Go (Attempted Suicide)

Drabbles & One Shots {SHINee}

 

JongKey
 
Jonghyun smiled, one eye squinted shut and the other looking through the lens of a camera. Being stuck inside of an office building from four to seven was never his dream job, nor had it ever been his ideal future, yet there he was. On his lunch break, taking pictures of things instead of actually eating; he could always eat when his shift supervior stepped out to have her cigarette. Photography had been something he would have gotten into had it not been for his parents and their constant nagging about the fact that photography alone wouldn't bring food to his table or keep a roof over his head. So he did this, taking photos anyway, during work hours because who the heck would be there, on the bridge, with him while he took pictures of the city skyline.
Certainly not his supervisor.
But...There was one other person standing along the side of the railing with him, just gazing off at something. And Jonghyun would be lying if he ever said that the person standing there, a male with shockingly blond hair and sharp brown eyes, wasn't beautiful. He was beautiful enough for Jonghyun's camera lens to pan over to him- to take one of Jonghyun's future favorite photos in his entire collection.
He had tears clinging to his eyelashes, his face straight ahead and his hands curled around the railing like he was holding on for dear life. But Jonghyun was so fascinated with this man, so blown away by how photogenic he was- he had taken at least eight photots in less than three minutes- that he hadn't quite processed the man climbing over the railing. He watched, through his camera lens, as the man stood on the ledge of the bridge with tears sticking to his cheeks and his sweater pulling taught against his side as the wind blew- and then it kind of sunk in.
Through the lens of his camera, through the pictures he had just taken of this beautiful person...He had caught the beginnings of something that made his blood run cold in his veins.
This man was going to jump. Off of the bridge, and most definitely...Die. And Jonghyun was just supposed to take pictures of it?
No. No way.
Without another thought he dropped his camera- not even cringing when it made a sligh crunch against the cement- and leaned over the edge. Cars zooming past behind him slowed, some honking, probably thinking he was going to fall or jump but he paid them no mind. Instead he reached down and twisted his fingers into a warn grey sweater, making a fist as he pulled up- hard.
And when his elbow jerked up and over the railing the man curled into a loose ball, crying louder and-...Not...Begging to be let go? Not begging to just let him jump and end it all?
"Don't let go, please, please don't let go."
"Save me."
"Help me."
If Jonghyun hadn't been stuck in an adrenaline rush he probably would have cried. No, he definitely would have cried. All this person wanted was for someone to save him- to help him and pull him back up to where it was safe. Where he was meant to be. 
And Jonghyun did pull him back up, he pulled him over the railing and then he hugged him tight- told him it was alright and everything was okay. And instead of flying off the handle or trying to get back over the railing the man just clung onto him like he had been holding onto that railing when Jonghyun had first spotted him; he held onto him for dear life.
Jonghyun had never really had a story to go along with many of his photographs. Just that he saw beauty in them, when most people couldn't. But that one photo of the man on the bridge, the one with sparkling tears in his eyes and wind-blown hair? Tht one definitely had a story and Jonghyun wouldn't hesitate to tell it one single time. 
Not everyone has someone to pull them back over that railing; whether it be a railing of emotions, a railing of thoughts or a physical railing. Not everyone is lucky enough to be held and comforted by a complete stranger- and then brought into their life like they had been there for you the entire time. But Kibum was. And Jonghyun promised he wouldn't regret it, promised he would never have to face another railing of any sort alone.
He would be there, no matter what the situation was, no matter what happened, no matter what choices he made.
Kibum often questioned why that photo in particular was Jonghyun's favorite. It was a dark time in his own life, he knew what he had been thinking; what he had been wanting to do, when it was taken.
But Jonghyun always just gave him a shrug and a quiet, "Because I find it beautiful alright? Don't judge me! That's like asking why I like to breathe air instead of water."
And not once could Kibum not laugh at that because he knew Jonghyun. He knew that Jonghyun had an eye for beauty in the rough and he guessed that if Jonghyun thought that someone thinking about suicide was beautiful...He really didn't have the right to judge. 
After all it was the photo that kind of brought them together in the first place. Without that camera- without Jonghyun having seen him and taken that series of photos....He wouldn't be there. He wouldn't be happy with his life, he wouldn't be smiling and laughing and loving. So he...Maybe...Kind of understood.
But he would ask Jonghyun again just to annoy him, just so he could laugh at his blushing cheeks and narrowed eyes. 
 
A/N: So this was very much inspired by a post on Tumblr about a man named Richard Waters saving a woman from commiting suicide by jumping off of a bridge. It gave me goose bumps and made me immediately get this idea for JongKey. I hate my mind sometimes. Anyway hope you enjoyed c: