Friendly

Because the Rain Was Falling

You've always been so good to me. Everyday... waiting by your locker just to talk to you for even a second, constantly checking my phone every couple of seconds just hoping you'd call, it's all finally paying off. When we kiss, I feel all these different fireworks going off in every direction. The moment my skin touches yours, I find myself becoming numb. And whenever you look at me with those wonderful chocolate fountain eyes of yours, I can't imagine anything ever being more beautiful than that. Would it be a crime to admit one's feelings? Or better yet would Yuri-sshi and Yoona-sshi let me stand when I say... I love you, Choi SaeJi. I love your smile. I love the way you bite your tongue when you laugh. I love listening to your laugh when that's the farthest thing I can do. I love that when I hear the sound of your voice, my face turns the shade of pink that you adore so much. I love the way you tuck your hair behind your ear when you're shy... And I love how you're shy whenever I kiss you. I love you.

 

After reading numerous pages and pages of love notes and paper airplanes that Junghwa had throne at me during high school or from across the street, I made my decision. I stared at at the tiny bonfire in my back porch with curiosity. One by one, I placed each letter into the orange-red glow and watched them burn. The last traces of the three word phrase that I had grown so used to faded away with the light that captured it. And even as the love letters disappeared, I wondered... Am I making a mistake? Should I have destroyed all these beautiful memories or... held onto them?

I sighed to myself. "Can't turn back now."

"What are you doing?"

I gasped as Minho Oppa walked up behind me, examining the scene. He looked almost amused at what I was doing. I shrugged and nodded towards the fire that was calming down before me. "Burning stuff."

My oppa chuckled. He motioned for me to stand up. The moment I did, he took my spot and nodded for me to sit in his lap. I laughed at his gesture but did as he suggested. I nuzzled my face into the crook of my older brother's neck, quite comfortable. "Ahh, SaeJi-ah, you're so big now." Minho kissed my forehead. "I remember when you'd sit in my lap even when I didn't want you to. You'd hide your face in my sweater and just fall asleep."

"I miss those days." I smiled against Oppa's skin. "Now you wear more form fitting clothes. How am I supposed to hide my face in that?" My sibling and I laughed as the bits and pieces of the flame still crackled. "I wish we'd never grown up." I whispered just barely. "It's so difficult to keep a straight face. I hate it. All this chaos..."

"And yet, in all this chaos, we somehow manage to find safety in all of it." My brother looked at me with his marble eyes. "We found comfort in little things like this... A neck to nuzzle in... A warm smile... A new friend."

"New friend, Oppa?"

"That Key person called." Minho began to my hair. I sat up to listen more closely. "He was asking about you. He seemed very interested in how you were doing. You would have been able to answer the call if you hadn't have stayed out so late with Yuri and Yoona." He chuckled.

I rolled my eyes. "Key Oppa is very kind to me. I should call him back..."

"I see you've become attached to him."

"In a way." I shrugged.

"You like him?" Oppa smirked.

"Anya!" I tapped the side of his head. "I never said that!"

"You didn't have to say anything!" He retorted. "The fact that you even went to visit him at work says everything! Not to mention that he told you to call him Oppa, and he's even calling the house to check up on you--"

"Is there no such thing as being friendly anymore?" I rolled my eyes.