End Of Messages

Because the Rain Was Falling

Choi SaeJi ran across the room, inspecting every last spot. The fact that the wedding was not taking place in the dressing room seemed to have slipped her mind.

SaeJi was a humble girl. She grew up with manners, always using them on her parents and her older brother Minho, a boy with broad shoulders and a charismatic face. When the time came that SaeJi was to be married, the family couldn't be happier.

It seemed to everyone that everything was perfect. SaeJi's dress--white satin, off the shoulder with sequins. Her shoes--white Mary Jane heels. The flower arrangement--red and white roses. Everything just seemed to be in place.

The only thing that's missing is the groom.

Park Junghwa and SaeJi dated for a year, and on their one year anniverary, he proposed. Because of Junghwa's patient nature, no one ever questioned why he made it a long engagement. No one saw the need.

But today is not the day to worry about the engagement. Today is the wedding.

"SaeJi-ah! It's show time," Yuri, SaeJi's best friend, announced in excitement. She ran behind and took a hold of the train.

"Komawo, Unnie!" SaeJi whispered to her friend as she began walked up to the doors.

As the french doors opened, the violinists began playing that familiar wedding song. The entire church echoed.

The first thing SaeJi did was look to the end of the alter for Junghwa.

But he wasn't there. It was just the plain alter. Her bridesmaids and groomsmen stood in their positions as they should have been, but the groom was nowhere to be found.

SaeJi's older brother, Minho, ran to her the second she started walking.

"Oppa, what's going on?" The worried bride asked.

Minho ruffled his hair. He sighed, not wanting to tell his sister the situation, "Junghwa... didn't show up."

"Bwoh? Oppa, this is no time for jokes. I have a wedding to finish--" SaeJi explained

"SaeJi-ah," Minho put his hands on his sister's shoulders. "He's not here."

She pushed his arms away, clearly frustrated, "Anya." Just as fast as she came in, she ran out the same way.

Junghwa has to be here. He has to be. Where would he go? Why would he leave?

SaeJi scrambled through her purse for her phone. After realizing that it wasn't in that room, she hurried back to the alter to ask Minho if he had it.

"SaeJi-ah!" SaeJi's other bridesmaid Yoona made her way to the bride. "Junghwa called. He left you a voicemail." The look of worry was plastered all over her face. Her glossy eyes just said everything.

SaeJi stared at her phone, very much scared of what was contained in it. She wasn't usually one to be afraid of things such as that.

"One new message. Please enter in your four-digit password to hear your message."

As if she were about to decide between life and death, the bride held her breath as she punched in the code.

"New message from Park Junghwa," The robotic voice said monotonously. "SaeJi... You've probably noticed I'm not where I should be--by your side at the alter."

Oppa, please don't say that, SaeJi thought to herself. Don't tell me this.

"This just won't work out. I'm sorry I couldn't have ended this sooner. I should have explained everything, but... I can't get back the time I wasted. I've wasted your time. I never meant to hurt you. Mianheyo. Sarangheyo."

SaeJi dropped the phone in her hand, letting it crash to the floor. The screen flashed.

"End of messages." The phone spoke finally before it hung up.

SaeJi's pink lips trembled as it sunk in.

She wasn't getting married today.

Not anymore.