Sandalwood.

Because the Rain Was Falling

Choi SaeJi was far from what Key expected. After being surrounded by business women who have their noses so high in the air they catch the first drop of rain, SaeJi was very humble and down-to-Earth. This fact just made it even more impossible for Key to figure out why her fiance would have run out on her.

She was naturally pretty, Key thought. She had her hair tied up with a few strands and her bands hanging to the side. Her make up was very simple, a bit of eyeliner and nothing more. Not to mention, it looked as if she dressed up to be comfortable, not to impress. SaeJi just had on a fashionably oversized striped tank top, black skinny jeans, and purple flip-flops. It was nothing like the JinYe.

"So, what do you do, Key-sshi?" SaeJi asked as she sipped her iced green tea with honey, her favorite drink.

Key held onto his iced coffee, "I find art."

"Find art?"

He nodded. "I walk around, looking for street artists. If the piece is good, I'll buy it, and it gets featured in a museum."

SaeJi gave him a bright smile, "That sounds like fun. Street artists are always so nice."

"Know of any?"

"My friend Kyuhyun." She explained. "He draws in Seoul."

"Maybe I can visit him sometime with you...?" Key suggested, hoping to spend another day with his new friend.

"That'd be cool!"

Key chuckled at how excited she got.

As SaeJi took another sip of her beverage, suddenly, her neat bun fell. The green chopstick that held it up clanked to the floor.

Key bent over to pick up the object. He studied the little stick before he handed it to her. "This is pretty."

SaeJi smiled yet again and fixed her hair. "It's made of sandalwood. It's supposed to be very sturdy. That's why when Junghwa gave it to me, he said--" She suddenly stopped. Her expression dropped.

"SaeJi-sshi? Gwenchaneyo?" Key took her hand. She was shaking.

SaeJi blinked a couple of times. She looked down at her green tea. "Th-That's why when Junghwa Oppa gave it to me, he said he'd love me until it breaks." Her voice was now a mere whisper. A single tear slid down her cheek as her eyes became glossy. "Excuse me--" She stood up abruptly and ran out of the cafe. The chopstick slipped away once again.

"SaeJi-sshi!" Key ran after her, grabbing the chopstick on the way.

Key sighed as he stepped outside.

SaeJi didn't run far. She just sat up against the wall, right next to the door. Her head was hidden in her knees. She was crying.

 

Key's POV.

 

It was hard watching such a beautiful girl cry with no one beside her. Even though people claim to care, not even half of them will stop if they see someone crying.

I sat down next to SaeJi. Her soft sobs were barely audible, but, all the same, I could hear them.

I took out the handkerchief from my jacket pocket.

As SaeJi slowly lifted up her head, she looked to me. She didn't look taken back. Her eyes were red and swollen, and her eyeliner was smeared. And yet, for some reason, she still looked beautiful.

I wiped away her tears with the handkerchief.

She didn't pull away.

"Forget him." I said. "You will forget him. Trust me."

SaeJi stared at me for a moment. After a couple of seconds, she opened and whispered something quietly.

I leaned in closer. our shoulders were now touching.

She repeated her words. "I trust you."

I felt myself smile even though I shouldn't have.

"Good." I put my arm around her. "Look for someone who will only look at you. You and only you." I waited for her to turn to me.

SaeJi turned her head. Her eyes beamed straight into mine.

I felt myself unable to turn away.

"Mianheyo." She sniffled. "For crying in the middle of our lunch date."

Date?

"Anya." I shook my head. "Don't you dare apologize for something like that."

She began to shake. "Then why do I feel as if I've done everything wrong?" SaeJi lowered her head again.

Droplets of watered down saline fell to the concrete in between her legs.

I pulled her head and rested it on my shoulder. "You haven't done anything wrong."

SaeJi's tears soaked onto my jacket, and, for some reason, I didn't care.

As she cried harder, "Then why did he leave me, Key-sshi!" She sobbed.

"Call me Oppa." I whispered.