six

U-Kiss Drabbles

{the baffled king composing hallelujah} | soohoon


 

 

Lately, Soohyun thinks of Hoon less as a person and more as a song. Hoon’s voice is ethereal, enchanting even when he is just speaking. Soohyun finds that every word that falls from the boy’s lips is accompanied by tinkling bells and the gentle strumming of a guitar.

There are times when Hoon is excited, or scared or lonely or worried, and he envelops Soohyun in a hug that is almost stifling with its warmth. Soohyun closes his eyes and enjoys the feeling, and in those moments, the matching beats of their heart provide the rhythm for the already beautiful sounds that play when Hoon speaks.

Backstage is the one time Soohyun loses all his leaderly composition and finds himself weakened with nerves and light-headedness. The responsibility and insecurities bear down on him with a crushing force and Soohyun is certain that, This is it. This is the time I crumble. But Hoon finds him, he always finds him, and when Hoon grasps Soohyun’s shaking hands in his own, Soohyun hears a piano joining the other instruments.

Yet none of the other songs compare to the one he hears when Hoon smiles. The younger boy will catch his eye across the stage or in the mirror of their practice room—or, sometimes, he’ll stand right in front of Soohyun and simply beam. And the moment Hoon’s eyes scrunch up and his mouth opens in a wide grin, in that exact moment, Soohyun hears an orchestra. The music rises and rises, builds into a crescendo so loud that he almost can’t hear Hoon say his name over the beautiful music and the blood rushing through his veins.

However once he hears his name, the music slows down again. It settles back into a calming tune, each instrument slowing falling away until all he can hear is the melodious tone of Hoon’s voice, nothing accompanying it, and he realizes that nothing could be as perfect as just Hoon.