The First Date

Black and White with Flames All Over

The sun had set an hour ago.  I was standing in the bathroom of my apartment looking at my dress in the mirror.  I stared at my hair, I had fought the battle as well as I could.  My hair didn't look salon perfect, but it would have to do.  My dress was dark purple with a sweetheart neckline, like something out of the 1950s.  I was putting the finishing touches of my make up on, when my phone rang... I looked down at the screen to see that it was Bev.  Lord knows the last time we had talked!  We had been so busy!

"Hey Bev!" I picked up my phone.

"Shannon!!!!! How are you?  I haven't talked to you in FOREVER," her bubbly laughter rang through the receiver.

I leaned against the counter, "I am great, I was actually about to go out on a date.  What have you been up to?"

"A DATE??? Who with?  TELL ME YO SECRETS!!!"

I took a deep breath, "I am going on a date with my handsome co-star, Choi Seunghyun's really good friend... Kwon Jiyong, also known as--"

"G-DRAGON???" Bev screamed, "HOW IN THE WORLD DID YOU SCORE A DATE WITH HIM???"

The doorbell rang.

"Hey Bev, he's here.  I need to go... Can we have lunch tomorrow, if you are back in LA that is?" I asked, walking slowly towards the door.

"Ok, but you must tell me everything that happens tonight... And I mean EVERYTHING!" Bev laughed, "Okay girl, have a good time!"

We said goodbye and hung up.  The doorbell rang again.  I checked myself in the mirror one last time before going to the door.  I took a deep breath and opened it... No one was there... I looked left and right down the hallway, the light was out at the end of the hall... I went back inside and closed the door.  I made sure it was locked and walked back into the bathroom to fidget with my hair.

The door bell rang again, this time a chill went up my spine... I shook myself and thought it must be my neighbor's nephews playing ding dong ditch.  I walked to the door and looked out of the peep hole, there was no one... I opened the door a crack and saw no one.  I stepped out into the hall... it was very silent.  The hair on the back of my neck stood up as I scanned to the left and right... the dead end of the hall was completely black...

My night vision took over and my eyes adjusted to the dark... I stared to the right at the end of the hall and could almost see something.  It looked like someone was down there... My eyes fully adjusted to the dark and I saw a figure wearing a hooded sweatshirt leaning on the far wall at the end of the hall, looking right at me.  I couldn't see his face, but I knew he was staring back at me... I slowly took a few steps back to the door of my apartment, when the figure moved in my direction.  I ran back inside and slammed the door closed.  

The world was spinning... I grabbed the edge of my couch for support.  My heart was pounding in my ears.  What just happened?  Who was that?  Was that the same guy in the parking garage from three years ago? I started panting... I had to calm down.  My door bell rang again.  I turned my head to the door and grabbed my police grade flashlight from the entrance table... this jerk is going down... I reach for the handle and fling open the door to find Jiyong standing there with flowers...

"Shannon?  What's going on?" his eyes had grown wide.

I put down the flashlight, "I thought you were someone else..."

"Has someone been bothering you?"

I stepped out into the hall and look to the end, the light was on and there was no one there, "No, I guess I was just... seeing things.  Lack of sleep messes with your brain."

I took the flowers and walked to the kitchen to put them in some water, "You can come in if you like--"

I turned around and Jiyong was right behind me.  I almost dropped the flowers... His eyes stared into mine and I was lost in their depth...

"We should get going if we are going to make the reservation..." Jiyong said finally.

"Yeah," I said dreamlike, "We should go..."

We walked out of my apartment building and down to his Bentley.  He opened the door for me and then got in and drove us to the restaurant.  

The restaurant was an Asian and Mediterranean fusion of flavors. It was located at the top of a skyscraper in the middle of Los Angeles. We were seated in the most beautiful part of the restaurant.  Our table was on the third level and provided a stunning view of the city at night.  The waiter came over to get our drink order.

"What shall you have to drink?" 

Jiyong pulled out the wine list to order for both of us, but I stopped him, "I don't drink alcohol, so I will have an iced tea please." 

Jiyong concurred and the waiter left us to look over the menu. I opened the menu and gasped... The prices were ridiculous!  I would NEVER pay this much for pasta even if it had shrimp with it.  I flicked through the menu trying to find the cheapest thing, but nothing was under $20 in this place besides drinks. 

"I was wondering, why don't you drink alcohol?" Jiyong asked over his menu. 

Oh crap... I had to be careful about my answer to this one, "I can't handle alcohol.  I have a very low tolerance."

"Oh."

"I think I found something I want to order I think," I said, squinting at the menu.

The waiter came back over and we ordered our dinners. I stared out at the skyline and sighed.  It was such a breathtaking view.

"So," Jiyong said, "I am sorry to bring this up again, but why did you leave the party with out saying goodbye?  I mean the last time I saw you at the party was with Seungri..."

The room turned cold, it spun around me like a Ferris wheel.  I tried to regain focus and finally did so after what seemed like an eternity, "Yeah, we danced a bit... Then all I remember was waking up in some random room with a bunch of people.  Then I ran to go get Bev so we wouldn't be late to class." 

Jiyong looked worried, "Are you sure that was all?  I thought you were upset about something that night." 

"No, I was perfectly fine, the party was wonderful.  I didn't want to take your dress and would have liked to return it sooner, but I didn't have a mailing address or phone number to contact you with." 

The waiter came with our meals and we ate.  The food was delicious.  I would personally NEVER have spent this much for food in my entire lifetime, but it was amazing.  We finished our meals and Jiyong paid.  We went back to his car and he drove me back to my apartment. 

We walked up to my door in silence, our nervous energy hung like a cloud around us.  I put my key in the door and opened it slightly.  I took a breath a turned around to thank him for the wonderful evening, but found his lips pressed to mine and his arm pulling me closer by the small of my back.  I closed my eyes and melted into him, returning his kiss and threw my arms around his neck.  We kissed for a long time, then he broke it. 

His eyes glittered, staring into mine, "Wow... that was..."

"Exciting?" I blushed. 

"Wonderful," Jiyong breathed, "I would very much like to see you again.  The sooner the better." 

I pulled him closer by his tie and stared into his mysterious dark eyes.  I pressed my lips to his lightly and pulled away.

"It's a date then," I smiled. 

We said our goodbyes and I closed the door behind me.  I slid down the polished wood and hit the ground.  What a wonderful evening!  The best I have had in a long time! I smiled and sighed.  This was going to be the start of an amazing relationship!  Smoothing sailing from now on!  Or... so I thought.