'Tis the Goodbye Season

Peek Behind the Tainted cover

‘Tis the Goodbye Season

 

“Hey wait, Seohyun!”

Amidst the cold of early winter, despite the fatigue after seemingly endless filming hours, she kept her feet pumped her forward to her destination. Not where, but who.

Silhouette of a young woman covered in layers of coat turned around, answering in mild aghast the call she’d never expected. At least for that time of being. And she started to wonder how the caller of her name knew her whereabouts, when even the other unnies of her had no idea.

For that particular question, if the young woman of her destination should ask, Yoona had prepared the answer that surely would make her like a creepy stalker, or on the first level of sasaeng fans hierarchy. The jingling of small plastic bag in her left hand ceased as she stood beside the maknae of Girls’ Generation. Sloppy trademark grin of her formed to be the background of little mist emerged from her breath. Yet she was more excited to see the smile between the younger’s frosted breath.

And found none but straight thin line formed by her tightly pursed lips.

 “Yoona unnie...”

“Merry Christmas, Seohyunnie!” Yoona nonchalantly exclaimed, offering the season’s greeting in very zesty way. Happy like if Santa Claus descended and gave her present directly.

Yet the reality was she found no smile that she’d yearned for this Christmas; Santa Claus must’ve labeled her as a very, very bad girl and decided to throw away her Christmas present. Even so, she’d still thanked that stingy old man for at least allowing her to meet Seohyun on this –supposedly—special occasion.

“...Merry Christmas to you too, Unnie...” Seohyun replied in soft tone—the way Yoona loved it but unknown to herself ironically—without meeting the eyes of a doe in front of her. There was a force that kept her head down low preventing her vision to be on the same level with Yoona’s. Not from wintry air turbulence, but the turbulence inside her own heart.

She must’ve expected something better than this, her own voice rang in her innermost sanctum. A smile, perhaps?

Everyone acknowledged her sufficient skill in acting, her casting in a musical drama was the solid proof. Yet she can’t bring forth even the slightest, and fake, curl with . Certainly, her whole being never had any will to taint the holy time of the year with fakeness. Even thought she might have excused herself that the lie for one’s happiness. A white lie.

But still, white lie is a lie.

The diligent and studious-like side of her couldn’t help feeling curious about the reaction her unnie gave with her implicit, whether intended or not, rejection and disapproval. This was the main fuel for an invisible rusty machine that lifted her head to gaze upon a pair of brownish eyes that she loved so much, but her pride wouldn’t let the world knew that.

Half fulfilling her expectation, half fulfilling her dismay, Yoona’s famous sparkling eyes were filled with gentle warmth, adorned with spices of self humility or things like that; Seohyun wouldn’t ever be able to define it. The same look the older girl always gave to her, whenever they were on times of nothing around themselves but each other. The same look she’d always rejected but hypocritically missed too.

“I’ve got a little something for you,” Yoona grinned again, her sudden vocalization bursting a little cloud around her lips. With a slight shiver her free hand rummaged the plastic bag and fished out a small green cubical thing bounded with red ribbon. “Merry Christmas, Seo Joohyun! Sorry it’s not the Santa who gives you this but his trusted deer Rudolph!”

The merry joke brought little warmth around them. But the little present on Yoona’s palm unleashed the blizzard of emotions inside Seohyun. True her slightly parched lips curled upward, all thanks to the deer’s jolly remark, but her eyes was still clouded by the negative emotions the winter witch blew to her eyes. Or was it become much worse?

Looking at Seohyun’s passive reaction, though she’d predicted it, Yoona still couldn’t help feeling a little hurt. “Oh please, this deer has pulled the a-ton-weigh sled around the world! She even has a drama filming afterwards. So give this little deer a little joy by accepting this, okay?” She pouted in cutesy that every fan would die for, but unable to break motionless, emotionless stance of Seohyun.

“Seohyun...” the tired actress sighed, lifting her hand to caress the maknae’s cheek, but due her self-conscious, changed course to her hand instead.  “I know you must be thinking I’m a stupid stubborn who always chasing you throughout this one year...” she paused, bringing the limp hand in her grasp to the small present box, “...But I beg you, just for this time, please accept this worthless piece from me, while you’re free to dump my affection somewhere.”

Those heartfelt words stabbed Seohyun directly, but her not-so-inexistent stubborn side kept her body stiff. Only her voice and her half-frozen heart that could break free. “Yoona unnie... I...” she spoke, almost whispered, but her voice faltered away as she saw hopeful yet pained look Yoona projected.

And they said eyes are the window to one’s soul.

This shouldn’t be hard for Seohyun anymore. This wasn’t the first time. This last one year, the second maknae of Girls’ Generation, her favorite unnie, had been showering her with a lot of affection and attention. Of course, being a caring and loving dongsaeng, she loved the care Yoona —almost exclusively—gave to her. But when she found the true nature behind that, the same day Yoona confessed her ‘something more than sisterly’ love, she tried to distance herself from her doe-eyed unnie. But Yoona always put her effort to confess again and again, giving her presents after presents.

As a kind, pure young woman, Seohyun always politely rejected as kindly as possible. But the presents were more complicated; she couldn’t accept them yet never wanted to throw them away. She would either softly pushed back Yoona’s giving hands or wordlessly accept them and store them somewhere strangely close to her, without unwrapping or opening them.

But this time she could do neither.

The soft and slightly larger palm of Yoona rested warmly atop her cold one. Is this...the warmth of sorrow? With a surprising power of will, she held her head high again, bracing herself to gaze at Yoona’s eyes. “...Unnie, you know... I can’t accept it, but I’ll never be able to throw your affection away. Thank you for the love you’ve given to me Yoona unnie, but I apologize for not being able to reciprocate it...”

“I know...” Yoona replied, almost inaudibly, “...But please take this, not as the token of your feeling to me but...” She abruptly stopped, her breath hitched from both the cold air and overflowing emotions. “...Just...take it.”

Yoona was struggling to keep her tears at bay; Seohyun could see it clearly. Desires to take her trembling form into an embrace arose, but the other side of defiantly commanded her to stay still. The latter part of her was the victorious one.

 But her hand successfully slipping away, with the present secured still in her grasp.

“The night has grown old unnie,” Seohyun spoke in indifferent tone, bringing her hands enveloping the present securely. “You should come home soon. Also, you’re tired from the filming, right?” With a stiff and formal bow, she offered the last greeting before resuming her walk to home; her own house. “Merry Christmas, Yoona unnie...”

As she watched Seohyun slowly leaving her field of vision, Yoona let out the pained smile with no tears even run down her pale face. The cold air must’ve frozen the tears even before I spilled it, she mused. The air grew noticeably colder, and she was always amused that Seohyun was always right.

“Yoona! God I never know you can run that fast!”

Yoona turned her back fully and her smile instantaneously disappeared. A young, attractive man was panting before him, a result from her unexpected athletic aptitude and his lack of navigating skill in the winter cold. “You know, I almost have a heart attack when you suddenly disappear!”

“I’m sorry, Oppa. I’m in hurry to meet someone,” she explained calmly.

“Oh... Someone huh? I see nobody here...” He said with a hint of jealousy.

“She’s already gone home.”

“Oh...” He nodded and smiled. “Let’s go, Yoong! I’ll drive you home.” He took her hand and led her walked down the pavement.

And Yoona felt no warmth whatsoever.

-X-X

Seohyun leaned back to the brick wall; she’d walked as far as some blocks but it didn’t tire her out. The thing that got her breath away had gone away at least three blocks from her. She leaned to the wall because her heart was beating too fast beyond her body to handle. She brought the green-and-red present before her eyes, and started examined it.

It was light, and she could feel something jingling inside.

Her hands trembled as she slowly drove her fingers breaking her unspoken oath; to never open the presents she got from her. The cover of the box slowly lifted, revealing silvery gleam of the content.  

It was a silver bracelet with deer and star shaped charms attached to the chains. A typical present for the season with Christmas theme.

Under the light of 24-hour shop sign, she examined every details of it. Under the eyes of the ordinary, it was simple jewelry; but in the eyes of Seohyun it carved every single of Yoona’s affection and compassion, that she never thought herself worthy for such pure emotions.

The silver bracelet clinked softly in her hand as she lowered it back to the box. But her hand stopped and closed the box without returning the contents. Instead she put the box to her coat pocket, and with a little struggle with the chains, she wore it on her left wrist. The silver deer and stars jingled in mellow chime as Seohyun brought it before her eyes.

This isn’t right, I shouldn’t wear it, Seohyun bit her lip that it bled slightly. But somehow I feel I have to... Because something is going to... Yoona unnie is going to...

Tears welled in corners of her eyes, and before they spilled out, she forced her legs to take long and fast strides home.

The silver deer clinked, the silver stars chimed, the tears fell like gleaming drops of silver.

-X-X

“Goodbye 2013! Hello 2014!” Hyoyeon stepped out from the van and shouted in English as if she was a knight boarded for England-France 100-Year War sounding the war cry.

“Yeah I know that Kim Choding! Lower down your voice! It’s freaking past the midnight!” Jessica chastised the lead dancer for such childish act she was famous for.

“Yeah, wait till we crash to the dorm Hyo, then we can live up the night at the dorm! Right, Taeyeon?” Sooyoung grinned and playfully strangled the poor leader.

“You can eat all the way you want, but shouting and hollering is still a no-go!” Taeyeon scoffed while releasing herself from the jangshin’s deadlock.

After tiring performance for 2013 MBC Gayo Daejun, the girls agreed to spend the night at the dorm together; the thing they seldom did nowadays. While they weren’t girls anymore but young women who demanded their own independence, they still couldn’t forget the warmth and liveliness as Girls’ Generation.

The girls were very excited for the joyous night, but a certain Korean-American was quieted a bit as she read something on her phone mobile browser. The petite energizer bunny of Girls’ Generation noticed this and nudged her fellow member.

“Tiffany, what are you reading about?” Sunny tried to peek to the electronic article behind Tiffany’s blocking fingers.

“Well, I’ll tell you guys that later inside,” Tiffany shoved Sunny to the dorm door.

The living room of the dorm suddenly turned into makeshift party hall, with the treats served in the middle while the girls were sitting cross-legged on the floor in a circle; just like how they did in their first days as Girls’ Generation. Without any cue, the girls started the party with Hyoyeon and Yuri did a kkab dance duet and everybody tried to save the food from Sooyoung hungry hands.

“Uhm... Guys... I have something to tell...” Tiffany tried to distract the attentions to her, but her voice was drowned among the merry party. “Hey... Can I have the attention for the moment?”

A dolphin squeal exploded, efficiently silencing the crowd. Jessica inhaled as much as she exhaled before, and the eyes of the girls instantly darted to the two Americans. “The attention is yours, Tiff,” she patted her fellow American’s shoulder.

“Thank you, Jessi,” Tiffany nodded and cleared . “So... I’ve just read a rather...interesting article from internet...”

“Huh? I don’t know that you like surfing on the internet!” Yuri chimed. “Oh wait, you like to tag along on Tae’s Instagram.”

“That’s none of your business,” Tiffany glared at her tan fellow member. “Well, it’s about Yoona...”

“Is it okay to talk about it when Yoona even hasn’t back from KBS Drama Award?”  Taeyeon asked, feeling bad for talking about one of her member when she wasn’t even present.

“I think it’s okay, I guess...”  Tiffany unlocked her phone screen and started to read the article out loud. The reaction given by the girls were varied, from gaping mouths to lighthearted chuckles.

But the certain maknae sported a very distinct reaction. Her blank stare dropped to the floor, her feet automatically dragged her body to the corner, unwanted to be seen by her unnies. Every words she had heard, oh how she wished they were all false! But to confirm the truth, a certain person must appear before them and corroborate the news by herself.

“I’m home?”

The one whose presence was demanded suddenly appeared. Yoona was surprised the party hullabaloo suddenly stopped when she was about to open the door. And now, she entered the dorm to only find eight girls sporting different expressions with one same meaning: shock. She felt awkward with the stare thrown at her. “Well... Something’s going on?”

In only split seconds, Yoona was under barrage of questions from her unnies.  After few noisy minutes, the uproar was ceased thanks to Taeyeon. Panting a little, Yoona recomposed herself and prepared to confirm it.

“Yes, I’m dating Seunggi oppa. I’m planning to tell you all after the award and Gayo Daejun finished, but I guess you’ve already known that.”

Now Yoona was under assault of hugs from her unnies. She managed to escape from life-threatening hug attacks and she sheepishly rubbed the back of her neck as she accepted flowing congratulations to her.

“Aww, our choding is a step ahead from us! She might be the one who marries first!” Sooyoung faked a sob exaggeratedly.

“That Lee Seunggi, finally he got you after this three years~!” Hyoyeon hummed while shaking her head, amused.

“How long you two are going out, anyway?” Yuri asked while punching lightly the shoulder of her roommate and fellow prankster.

“Not too long unnie, a month or two I guess?”  

The New Year Eve grew livelier and merrier inside the dorm of Girls’ Generation, but the maknae was like alienated from the atmosphere. She kept on her low profile, blending with the background. Unseen, unnoticed.

When the air of excitement finally lowered down a bit, Seohyun braved herself inching closer to Yoona. Slightly trembling, she brought her hand touching Yoona’s arm. “Yoona unnie...” her voice trembled, forcing herself to utter ‘Congratulations’, but she couldn’t. “Can I talk to you in private?’

After few seconds of silence, Yoona nodded slowly and led the maknae toward the quieter, secluded corner of the dorm.

Most of the girls had gone to their respective bedroom; Jessica was the first who hit the bed. But the leader, the eccentric blonde and the tan woman didn’t miss the scene where the two maknaes went to talk in private.

“What are Seohyun going to do with Yoona?” Hyoyeon wondered.

“I think she’ll congratulate Yoong personally,” Taeyeon shrugged. “She’s still one of maknae’s favorite unnies, after all.”

“Hmm, I don’t think so,” Yuri brought her right hand supporting her chin. “The look on Seohyun’s eyes... isn’t exactly the happy one. Same goes to Yoong.”

“Wha, now you suddenly play sleuthing around?” Hyoyeon raised her eyebrows amusedly.

“No, it’s not like that. But I suddenly remember how she talked about the maknae for this last year. It’s...” Yuri gestured randomly with her hands just to make it harder to define. “Ah! I don’t know how to say it.”

“Well, save your investigation for tomorrow, Yuri Holmes,” Taeyeon yawned. “I’m off. See you tomorrow, Yul, Hyo.”

“What do you want to do now, Yul? I certainly won’t be your Watson.”

-X-X

“So...”

Yoona sounded a little sound, breaking the silence but not the thick ice between them. Seohyun didn’t try to break it either; she only anchored her vision at the floor and kept her lips tightly locked.

“Unnie...”

Yoona jerked in anticipation upon the maknae’s first word. But she never anticipated what she would hear next.

“Should I...congratulate you... or begging your forgiveness,” Her sudden hitched breath paused her words. “...Or both?”

Fearing the maknae would spill her tears, Yoona held her tight but softly on her shoulders. To her surprise, her hands were pushed away carefully by another pair of trembling and fragile hands. As Seohyun slowly lifted her face, no tears were running down; only shock, hurt and horror etched on every details of her face’s delicate contour.

In that moment, Yoona felt like mutilating herself for being the cause of misery the girl in front of her felt.

“No, it’s never your fault unnie. The guilt is all mine,” Seohyun stated delicately, hitting the unspoken words right in the bullseye. “I guess... It’s too late now hm?” She forced a smile, not a fake one but genuine with sadness nonetheless. Surprisingly she could pull it without any meaningful effort. I must look so pathetic in her eyes.

“My, please don’t waste your smile for something unhappy,” Yoona uttered in mellow, hushed tone. What kind of deity who gave her enough bravery to run her fingers on Seohyun’s soft cheek, she’d never know. But she would thank every corner of limitless universe to give her a chance to feel the softness of the angle in front of her, even not in exactly desired circumstance.

That look... Please stop giving me that look. Seohyun was lost, really lost, inside the deep gaze the doe-eyed girl trapped her with. No disdain, disgust nor spite like she’d predicted and braced for. It was still the same warmth, the same love that always lingered on her eyes, and now she still offered it even in this most dreaded time.

Seohyun really hated that fact.

“I’m sorry for being a sinner all this time...” The soft hands on the younger’s cheek fell back to the side of the owner. “...If not because my sinful feeling and my constant begging, you wouldn’t have to go through this suffer. But you did the right thing Seohyun, since sinners have no rights to beg.”

The restrain she knotted finally snapped, letting the tears dammed inside flooded out and rolled down upon Seohyun’s face. “No, please don’t say that, Yoona unnie. Should anyone have to be a sinner, that’ll be me. I’ve sinned by letting the oblivion turned my back at your compassion and made me denied my feelings...” She peered through her tear-stained eyes straight to the doe-like ones, “...Until this very day.”

The still night air was thick against their skin; the only decorations were Seohyun’s stifled sobs and uneven breaths of Yoona. The gravity acted to them seemingly doubled, as both their head hung low and their limbs hung almost lifelessly on their side.

“But...” the maknae managed, piercing the dread silence, “...Could you fulfill my last beg? This sinner’s beg to... kiss me for the first and last time?”

Carefully Yoona lifted Seohyun’s chin to meet her own eyes. “I’d like to offer you some corrections. You’re not a sinner; you’re just an angel who was tainted by the real sinner in front of you.” Her hand now changed course to the back of her neck, rubbed in boy-like nervous manner. “Well, I bet he wouldn’t mind your request. I did that a lot of time for my dramas, didn’t I?”

Seohyun couldn’t help but smiled bitterly at the remark, the ugly truth. She could never have Yoona’s first kiss, which had gone long ago for a duty. Same went to her own. Maybe this one wouldn’t be her first kiss. Maybe this one would be Yoona’s kiss for whatever number times. However, this would be the first kiss, with no second nor third, they shared together, and it was all that mattered.

“Thank you so much, Yoona unnie,” Seohyun whispered in pure joy.  Tentatively she lifted her one hand resting on the doe-eyed girl’s shoulders, holding it tightly as if her dear life depended on it. As she gazed at the warm chocolate irises, her eyelids fluttered down. It was so scary that she shut her eyes in fear. It really excited her that she closed her eyes in anticipation.

Yoona carefully shifted right hand to the maknae’s lithe waist, feeling it trembled ever so slightly under her fingertips. For her, this was like a dream come true in amidst of nightmare. She lost count how many times she dreamed tasting those soft lips against her own.  Now she got the first—and last—chance to experience it, she made resolution to make it as unforgettable moment she would cherish until her death.

She leaned forward, cutting their distance to dangerously close proximity. As she could feel Seohyun’s warm breath against her face, she took the leap of faith and tore down the last millimeter between them.

Eyes closed, lips locked savoring each other’s warmth. Their heart beat in harmonized, steady pace as the kiss grew slower, heavier and more heartfelt. They knew it; once they parted, no machine time could bring back this pure suffocating bliss back to them. They wished if the Medusa would gladly petrified them in this state; with their lips caressing each other and having each other in arm’s reach, framed in the curse of eternity.

But the Janus surely took their wish for granted, without any intention to hold back the inevitable end. They pulled back in tantalizing pace, reluctant to let go.

 Yoona brought her hand touching Seohyun’s cheek again, and to her surprise, the latter laced long, deft fingers with her own, rested them firmer against the dampened cheek. She noticed the familiar silver jewelry encircling Seohyun’s wrist--the silver deer couldn’t have mistaken her—and felt a rush of emotions swelled inside her. “Thank you for accepting my Christmas present. It means a lot to me.”

“I should’ve been the one who say thank you...” Seohyun fiddled with the silver deer and stars, the only memento of a bond that they ever shared in very brief time. “It shouldn’t be too hard unnie... You even can choose him who gives you certainty over me who always refused to acknowledge your affection,” she smiled in new faux optimism. “If facing me make things diffficult to you...” She dropped her hand and let go of Yoona’s hand. “We have the freedom not to always stay in the dorm together, right?”

“Yeah. It surely makes it easier for you too...” Yoona murmured, easily putting facade of light smile on. “We might have to meet for occasions but... I guess, this is a kind of goodbye?”

“Yes, it is.” Seohyun bowed slightly at her unnie. “I hope you have a good night. Goodbye Yoona unnie.”

Yoona stood rooted to the floor as she watched the maknae backed to her room. Suddenly she was reminded of a line of a song that Seohyun along with Tiffany and Taeyeon ever sung.

Never say Goodbye, Hello...

Their physique might easily said ’Hello’ anytime at each other. But she knew deeply, the word ‘Goodbye’ never could be erased to put the distance between them. Really suits us, in reversed fashion, hm?

Yoona waved weakly her hand to the emptiness before her. “Goodbye, then, Seo Joohyun.”

-X-X-

 

After I lazily opened my Twitter and found the shocking news, I quickly typed every heartbreak that I felt. Thanks to my heartbreak, the typing was slower that I expected, but this piece of oneshot finally born.

It's hard to say whether I would be able to write fanfics again, since my main source of musing is OFFICIALLY DEAD. Ugh, I don't want to stop writing, but things will get otherworldly harder when your main inspiration is already dead. Yet I still want to finish Paper Gun Chronicles, which still has hell long way to go. Maybe I could write another oneshots occassionally, just to test and hone my writing skill.

Oh boy, maybe I should change my otp? Or maybe move to a new fandom (like EXO? I'm quite of an avid fan of them)? Or maybe I should back to ol' Bleach manga fandom?

I want to rant more, but I'm tired and sleepy now. Oh and Yoong, I'm really happy for you, whatever happens. Really.*crying hard*

If you're like me, you're free to mourn with me below. If you're thinking I'm just a crazy exaggerating delusional shipper, feel free to bash and throw flames to me below. If you give no damn but just want to comment or criticize on the oneshot, please write them below.

Well, FZ_DracoHart wishes you Happy New Year 2014... as much as she could.

Oh, and I might add the extended ending version of the story. Well, basically just the continuation of Yuri's 'sleuthing around', a kind of more humorous ending (i guess...) and giving the ending aside of YoonHyun's field of view.

EXTENDED ENDING

“You don’t have to be my Watson Hyo, but,” Yuri rubbed her chin, “You know what, Taeyeon is right! Maybe I have to play ‘Yuri Holmes the So Nyeo Sleuth’! Okay, this special case of New Year’s Eve; Mystery of the Maknaes!”

Hyoyeon facepalmed, hard. She knew her dancing partner in the group was famous as a kkab... but not this far. “Good luck with that, detective. I’m retreating to my good ‘ol bedroom.”

Yuri pouted as the blonde head back to her room. “Ouch, it’s nice to have Hyo as my sidekick. It’s all on me then!” the tan unicorn pumped her fist. “But still, it’s not nice to barge into the maknae’s private conversation. Maybe I should get a glass of water first.”

Heading to the kitchen, as she drank her water, Yuri tried to form some hypotheses. Wait... Maybe Seohyun has made a contact with Keroro Earth Recon troops? Maybe her real identity is Space Overlord General Seororo! Now she had a weird visualization of Seohyun in pink-and-blue Clone Troop suit without the helm, laughing maniacally while holding a laser bazooka. Is she recruiting Yoong as her soldier? No, no... Oh! Perhaps Yoona offers to joint force to conquer the world? Hey, wait, the plan to conquer the world is MY and Yoong’s plan!

Yuri ruffled her hair after thinking trails of freak thoughts. Get serious, Kwon Yuri! Okay, I noticed the maknae wasn’t look so happy when Yoona and Seunggi fiasco exploded. She wore the same expression when talked to Yoong earlier. Could it be... Seohyun has a crush for Seunggi too? Yuri tapped her fingers and frowned. Nay, it couldn’t be.He’s totally not her type and that doesn’t explains Yoona’s sad face earlier. When she thought about her ‘unbiological’ twin, she suddenly remembered something. I can’t recall whether she has talked about Lee Seunggi specifically, but she’s quiet often talking about the maknae, with weird more sparkly eyes, stupid dreamy grin...

As she was slowly realizing something, her ears perked up as she heard faint sobs that unmistakenably belonged to Seohyun. “Hm? What’s going on there?”

She slowly stood up and walked slowly towards the source. She had reminded herself to give her roommate an earful for making the maknae cry. She leaned to the wall and peeked from the corner to find the maknaes engaged in serious, silent conversation. Frowning, she was about to step in but stopped by the next scene played before her.

To see a genuine kiss with her eyes, it was a quiet contenting to her. To see the two youngest group members shared that kiss, it really shocked her. But the pure elegiac air around them was the thing that took her breath away.

Yuri stood still; there was a boundary she couldn’t trespass, the only role available for her was accidental unwanted witness. As she saw the heartfelt kiss was over, she knew her purpose was over. With a silent prayer wishing the best from both of them, she took softest steps as possible to her shared room with Yoona.

Seeing Hyoyeon somewhat was still up in front of her room, she smirked in mild amusement. “So, you decided to play ‘Hyoyeon Watson’ in last seconds huh?”

“Shut up Yuri,” said Hyoyeon with rare seriousness. “I just can’t shake the feeling that maknae has some problem with Yoona, a serious one. But I’m not as nosy and daring as you to stalk them. Well, I’m her roommate so I ought to know what you got there.”

“Yoong and Seohyun have some... disagreements there.” Yuri smiled in meaningful, sad way. “But I believe they’ve settled it down just now.”

Hyoyeon was going to comment of her friend’s unusual poignant expression, but interrupted when suddenly the maknae walked passing them. The drying trail of tears on her cheeks didn’t go unnoticeable by the blonde’s eyes. In reflex she held the maknae on arm stopping her. “Seohyun, wh—“

“I’m alright unnie. I just need some rest,” Seohyun quickly let go her arm and went straightly to her  bed.

The two main dancers stared at each other, then the blonde one frowned at the tan one. “Seriously, this is what you call ‘settled down’? I swear I could her faint sobs from my and Seohyun’s room, Yuri.”

“They’ve settled it... in their own terms.” Yuri stated calmly and pushed Hyoyeon back to her room. “Now just hit the bed and sleep. My advice, don’t talk to maknae about this for... few days. Or better, never.”

Hyoyeon groaned and back to her room, but she unanimously agreed with Yuri nonetheless.  

Sighing, Yuri raked her not-so-tousled hair. Suddenly sleeping didn’t sound so tempting to her worn body.

“Yul unnie?”

The tan woman glanced at her roommate. She could see clearly through the doe-eyed’s facade of smile, and it wrenched her heart. A lifeless, joyless face of worn heart and soul of a fragile young woman. “Go sleep, Yoong. You’re deadly tired from the award and oh, congrats for your award anyway.”

Yoona nodded lightly and entered their room. As the door beside her closed with a soft click, Yuri hauled another heavy breath.

“I hope this New Year... won’t be too hard for them.”