Rough Beginnings

The Words I Couldn't Say

Let me start off this new adventure of my life by saying the most appalling experience of it all, was having to tell my mother that I wouldn’t be coming home….for a while.

Mr. Park said long term, remember?

So, I let mom know of my decision…over Skype. Yeah. I didn’t think that part through too well…but the nice thing about moms is that they understand…even when they don’t.

Chanelle was certainly happy. And by happy, I mean, ecstatic.  She literally ran around the apartment screaming for the first few hours after I called Mr. Park.  And every time she saw me whether we crossed paths in the apartment or crossed each other in the halls at school, she hugged me. After 4 days, I told her I was annoyed.

“At least you know you’re loved.” She smiled, tapping my shoulder and walking past me towards her bedroom.

Yes. I was loved. ….by friends and family.  Not by a guy or anything.

My romantic life is nearly non-existent in most regards. In college, I had one boyfriend because I got tired of being the girl without one, and after college, I just didn’t have any interest in dating. And being in a foreign country with people that speak another language entirely was turning out to be a pretty big deterrent. Chanelle had attempted to set me up a few times, but nothing ever really came of it, which, I suppose is equally my fault. I’m not so great and demonstrating affection, and I feel uncomfortable with the idea for the most part; probably because it seems so foreign to me.

If you haven’t noticed by now, there are quite a few things that feel foreign to me.

Mostly everything.

After my contract with the school and teaching agency ended, I took a few days off to get some things sorted before I started tutoring Ji Yung. I picked up some supplies, some fun learning based activities for us to do together, and some little assessments so that I could figure out where she was, academically speaking.  Planning out my lessons and figuring out what to do was actually really fun for me, especially since I only had to concentrate on her. It would be a challenge, but a welcome experience. One that I was sure would be worthwhile and rewarding.

The first morning I was due at the Park household, the weather was warm and inviting. I packed my bag and headed to catch the bus to Gangnam.

Of course they lived in Gangnam. 

It was then, that I discovered, the Park’s lived in on the top floor of an apartment building.

An entire freaking floor.

As I took the elevator up and entered it, I was in disbelief.  Kim Hyun Ki, the family butler greeted me and led me to a massive seating area decorated with pillars, plenty of indoor plants and a large screen TV. I saw in awe of my surroundings, taking in the texture of the expensive furniture, the abstract art, and other obviously pricey decorations. There were clay vases, glass figurines , wood sculptures, and even a signed baseball carefully placed in a glass box sitting above the fireplace. 

“Mr. Park is not available to meet with you before you start your session with Miss Ji Yung, so I will be conveying all relevant information necessary to begin your tutoring sessions.”

I politely nodded.

“First, however, I will give you a tour of the premises.”

Kim Hyun Ki led me throughout the massive apartment. There were 5 generous sized bedrooms, 8 bathrooms, an unseemly amount of seating areas, and don’t even get me started on the kitchen. At one point in the tour, Hyun Ki led me down one of the hallways closer to the other side of the apartment; I nonchalantly noticed a spiral staircase leading up to a very modern colored glass door. I stopped for moment, curious to know what was beyond it.

“Ahem.”

I turned around without hesitation ready to apologize.

“Miss Andrews, if you were curious about the stairs, you could always just ask.”  He said flatly.

Well this is new:  A member of the Park establishment offering to be remotely open about something. “Okay then,” I shyly started: “can you tell me what’s up the stairs?”

“No. Now let’s move forward.”

AND there it is.  I chuckled.

“Wow. I just got trolled by a 70 something Korean butler ahjussi.” I said under my breath.

“I’m 63, Miss Andrews.” He replied.

“Oh. My apologies, Mr. Kim Hyun Ki-issi, I didn’t meant to—“

“If you’ll continue down this hall, Ms. Andrews….”

The rest of the tour was nothing to note. The apartment was massive, sprawled out and divvied up in sections by large pillars, walls, and furniture. My favorite part of the house was the library (I am a teacher, after all). Walking through it made me feel more like I was in a museum than a living space. After the tour, we ended up at another seating area, which I was left at while Hyun Ki went to go get Ji Yung.  I sat there for a short moment, and soon thereafter, I heard a small voice.

“Eonnie!”

I turned towards the hallway and saw Ji Yung running towards me; I knelt down to meet her. She lept into my arms as if she’d been waiting to do it since the last time we’d met. Her embrace was comforting and warm; being reunited with Ji Yung after all this time was a release of anxiety and concern I’d been building up ever since she skipped out of the hospital room. I cupped my hands around her little cheeks and smiled. I commented on her outfit and hair bow. “Yeh bbeu dah!” I said excitedly.

Ji Yung didn’t say anything in reply, but I could tell from the look on her face that she was happy to see me again. I looked up and noticed Hyun Ki smiling at us.  I quickly directed my attention back at Ji Yung. “You are so much taller than when eonnie last saw you! You are getting so big!”

There was lots of chatter from me, not so much from Ji Yung. I asked her if she wanted to show me her room. She nodded, grabbed my hand, and quickly led me down the hallway to her bedroom, which I noted to be about half the size of my apartment.

Ji Yung sat down on the floor where some of her toys were carefully spread out. I sat down beside her, asking her questions about what she was playing, and still, no answer. I got back up again and took a quick look around her room. If I could sum it up it would be:  Lots of purple, lots of Hello Kitty, and lots of toys.  As I walked back towards her, I noticed a side table on the other side of her bed with a picture sitting on top. I glanced at the frame quickly, noticing that it was not a family photo of the two men of the house and Ji Yung, but it was the picture of a woman.

An English or American looking woman. Curiousity piqued, I started towards the table to examine it when all of a sudden, I heard Hyun Ki.

“The chef has prepared lunch for you and Ji Yung, Ms. Andrews, if you will follow me.”

Hyun Ki led us through to the kitchen which was also magnificent. The table we sat at was near  some very large windows overlooking the park couple not two blocks away. Ji Yung and I ate our lunch in silence with the exception of the few conversations I attempted to start with her. Nothing seemed to be taking with her. It was a little frustrating, but mostly worrisome for me. How could I expect her to speak English if she couldn’t respond to me in Korean?

Time after lunch went by very quickly. I reviewed some basic things in English just to see if I could get her to respond. Nothing. I sat back in frustration, noticing my cell phone clock said it was close to 4.  Almost time to leave. I laid my head down on the table in exasperation.

At that moment, I heard what sounded like the front door shutting. A little startled, I picked my head up and continued with my teaching, reviewing more basic stuff with Ji Yung. She seemed a bit more responsive, but still quiet. I stopped for a brief moment, leaned forward, and playfully pulling her dress down. She looked up me and then started to smile.

“What are you smiling about, now, huh?” I asked as I chuckled.

She started laughing at me.

“Success!” I thought! She’s finally responding to me! I must admit, I got VERY excited at that idea and continued to engage Ji Yung.

“She’s probably laughing at the stupid elephant stuck to your forehead.”

I felt my forehead and took down an elephant cut out we had been working on earlier; it must have gotten stuck when I laid my head down on the table, I noted. After that, I turned my head towards the voice and noticed Ji Hoo leaning against the kitchen wall with his arms defiantly crossed and a scowl across his face.

“So, what the hell are you doing here, exactly?”

I sighed, rolling my eyes and started to speak with Hyun Ki interrupted.

“Ms. Andrews is Ji Yung’s new English tutor, master Park.”

“HAHAHAHHAHAHA. MASTER. ARE YOU SERIOUS RIGHT NOW HYUN KI OH MY GOD.”  I continued to laugh with very little attempt to compose myself.

With that, Ji Hoo lunged towards me, walking away from the wall he’d been leaning on. He grabbed my arm and pulled me up out of the chair, attempting (I think?) to lead me down the hall from the kitchen.

I jerked my arm away in anger. Planting my feet firmly on the ground in protest.

“Ji Hoo, I swear to god if you ever touch me again I will throw something a little more heavy than cake at your perfectly sharp jawline.” 

Ji Hoo looked at me in awe. I could tell he didn’t like being contested. He was just going to have to get used to it.

“Hyun Ki please remove my sister from the room so I can speak with Ms. Andrews privately.” He said gritting his teeth.

When Hyun Ki and Ji Yung left, Ji Hoo immediately started speaking again. Angrily.

“I’ll ask you once more time. What the hell are you doing with my sister?”

I looked away from him for a brief moment, trying to control my temper. “Hyun Ki told you. I’m her new English tutor. “

Ji Hoo scoffed. “You’re just a lowly English teacher. You can’t actually expect me to believe—“

“If you have any questions, feel free to speak to your dad. He specifically sought me out for this position.” I interrupted.

Ji Hoo’s expression changed form one of anger to something I’d not seen on him before. I can’t explain it. He changed immediately. Apprehension, maybe? He even looked a little defeated. Maybe his dad was the trump card to shut him up?

Okay Kara take note bringing up his dad might actually shut him up.

“I’ll discuss it with him. I’m not comfortable with you being here.”

Nevermind, then.

“What? Why?” I looked at him with the most sincerity I had since we’d known him. I needed to know why he wasn’t comfortable with me. His disposition proved he wouldn’t let something like our previous excursions affect this, so it was something else.

“I just don’t think someone of your caliber should be around my sister, is all.”

“What the hell is that supposed to mean?” Raising my voice and leaning towards him.

Ji Hoo quickly closed the gap between us, so that he was within a few short inches of my face. It took me by surprise, but I refused to back down.

“It means exactly what it sounds like. You’re not good enough to be her teacher.”

I leaned in further, closing the distance between our faces. “Your father seems to think so. Are you deaf or just ridiculously stupid? Because trust me, if I had thought I would be running into you regularly, I would have factored that into my decision to take this job, but since I actually care about your sister, and want to help her, I decided to do this. I don’t care if that’s not good enough for you, Ji Hoo, because it’s obviously good enough for the guy who’s paying me…so get out of my face.” I pushed him away from me with my hand.

Ji Hoo didn’t flinch at my touch and instead leaned back as I did.

“Don’t expect to return tomorrow. Be sure to pack your things and do me a favor….if you EVER see me again…anywhere…pretend as if you don’t know me, ok?”

I started to say something sarcastic back, but he cut me off again.

“Or will you require some extra monetary compensation for that as well?”

I had nothing to reply back. Instead, in a blur of anger, I grabbed an orange that was sitting on a fruit basket in the middle of the table and threw it at him. He dodged it and with a sloppy grin said “Mehrong!”

Still angry and still in need of retaliation,  I picked up a wok the chef had sitting out on the marble counter tops and threw it at him. It hit him in the stomach. He flinched, bending over a little bit in pain.

“ARE YOU CRAZY?” he yelled.

“No. But you must be.” I replied loudly.

At that moment, the chef, who had been standing there the entire time (and I’m sure had been wanting to use the wok I’d just thrown at the son of his employer) brashly exited the kitchen.

There was more yelling between Ji Hoon and I and then all of a sudden, Hyun Ki appeared. He somehow settled things. Ji Hoo grabbed his jacket and left the apartment, slamming the door has he did.

I stood there, emotionally drained, still angry and riled up.

Hyun Ki directed me to sit at the table for moment. As I sat down, still breathing rather hard, he began to speak.

“Master Park deeply cares for his sister. Please understand that he is basing his assumptions on the previous interactions you’ve had with him.”

I looked away from his gentle face, almost beginning to feel a bit ashamed by my actions.

“Hyun Ki-issi, I am not an angry person, but Ji Hoo makes me angry. Very angry.” I said flatly.

Hyun Ki nodded in understanding.

“I know full well how infuriating Master Park can be…but I assure you that he is also a very good person and there is much to him beyond that.”

I rolled my eyes in disbelief.

“Well, I don’t really intend on attempting to find that out. From now on I’ll just avoid him. I think that’ll be best for all of us.” 
 

I stopped for a moment, though, remembering Ji Hoo’s threats:

“Don’t expect to return tomorrow…”

“Hyun Ki should I—“

“Ms. Andrews pay no attention to what Master Park said. Please return for tutoring tomorrow.”

I nodded, thankful for his reassurance.

“Hyun Ki-issi, may I ask a question?”

“Of course Ms. Andrews.”

“Why do you call him Master?”

“Well, I call Ji Hoo Master while his father is out of the house per the request of Mr. Park. Ji Hoo generally makes all the decisions on day to day care of the house while his father is gone…with the minor of exception of a few matters he can manage while out of the country, and is very much entitled to that position.”

I couldn’t imagine Ji Hoo managing or making decisions about anything important. With that temper? Uh no. In fact, I couldn’t really imagine him being remotely cordial.

I sat for a moment in silence thinking about everything, soaking it up. Around 5, I finally started to leave, reassured by Hyun Ki, that per Jae Hwa’s orders, I was to return to the house tomorrow to continue tutoring Ji Hoo:

 “Mr. Park was very serious about you tutoring Ji Yung, Ms. Andrews. He left me with the impression that I was to ensure you came daily for her instruction, regardless of the circumstances. Please understand that this is of great importance to him…”

“I’m not sure why…” I thought to myself as I nodded in understanding. I began to close the apartment door and he stopped me one more time:

“And Ms Andrews?” he started purposefully.

“MmmHmm?”

“Please be sure you refrain from speaking with anyone about what happened today with Master Park.”  

I half-heartedly smiled, nodded, and closed the door. And that is how I began my 3 year tenure with the Park household.