Chapter 2

One More Try

warning: long chapter.... hehe..i dont know how to cut this chapter so bare with it ..lol 

Thank you for those who have subscribed and left comments. More subbies and comments..faster update

Chapter 2

Victoria was too stunned to react. She just slumped on the floor and cried her heart out. She can’t believe that Khun will leave her. Not after how many years that they’ve been together. She loved him very much but she must admit that she’s also at fault. When she started putting up the law firm with her friends, things go haywire. But she thought Khun would understand. She thought he’d stick with her as he promised.

She met Khun during her 2nd year in middle school when he transferred from US.  The teacher asked him to sit beside Victoria; they instantly became friends and inseparable. They officially became a couple after a year. They were the most popular couple and people envy them for having each other. Both are smart and they usually go to academic contests together. Their families already met each other and both give approval to their relationship. Although they went to different university, it never became a problem for them.  They would call each other frequently and go on dates if possible.  A year after graduation, Khun proposed to her in Thailand and she gladly accepted. It was a fairytale love story, too beautiful and sweet.

Victoria fell asleep after crying for some time. When she woke up, it was already dark and her head’s pounding. She made her way to their bedroom, holding on to every furniture so she won’t fall. She didn’t even bother about dinner or changing her clothes. She just reached for the blanket and again cried herself to sleep.

On the other hand, Khun decided to stay in a hotel for the time being. Seeing her wife crying when he left broke his heart. He wanted to run back to her and embrace her til she stop weeping but he knew that its better this way. He loves his wife to pieces and leaving her took a lot of courage. He never intended to hurt her but with the way things are right now, giving each other space is the only key. He’s not closing his door and just wants her to re assess their marriage and his place in her heart. Now as darkness falls he took another shot of vodka- the bottle already half empty since he started drinking when he arrived. When his tired and drunk body cannot take it anymore, he dragged himself to the bed.

The next day, Victoria woke up with sunlight already kissing her face. She groaned when her world spin as she stood up from the bed. She then noticed the time on her watch and hurriedly when to the bathroom, took a quick shower and drive herself to her office.

She was already reading files in her office when her partner and best friend - Krystal Lee came bustling in.  She sat in front of her and dropped a clubhouse sandwich on her table.

“You look like hell, Victoria. Tell me what happened?” she asked point blank.

Victoria looked from the documents she’s reading and then answered in a monotone voice.

“How can you say that’s something’s wrong? I’m okay Krystal. I’m good.”

Krystal stood up and snatched the papers from her hands.  “Don’t give me that crap, Vicky. You’re eyes are puffy, you’re too pale and you didn’t eat breakfast. We’ve been friends since we were in diapers. Do you think I didn’t know you?”

“Don’t be too sensitive Krystal. It’s just not my day today. “Then she stood up and walked out of her office. “  I wanna have breakfast downstairs.”

Krystal followed her and together they took the lift towards a café on the ground floor. She was intently observing her friend. This is the first time for her to see Victoria distracted.  Although she trying to act like everything’s okay, Krystal knew that something’s gone awry. When they were both seated Victoria was just silently eating her meal- a cup of yogurt and a slice of whole wheat bread with cream cheese.  She would only talk when Krystal asked her something; otherwise she’ll just chew her food and stare in space. After the meal, Victoria told Krystal that she’ll be out of the office to check on her client. Krystal can’t do anything but just worry on her friend’s current state.

Nichkhun woke up with a bad case of hang over. He grimaced as his head throbbed on the way to the shower. He took a quick shower, went down to the hotel’s café and ordered black coffee and toast. He hurriedly ate his meal and then drove to the hospital. He immersed himself in attending to his patients, even taking double shifts to cover other doctors. He only went back to the hotel at two in the morning.

For a week, Victoria has been spacing out. Although she’s still able to do all her work, attend to trial, talk to her clients, Krystal and even some of their officemate noticed the change in her. She’s losing weight and she rarely talks to anyone. If not for Krystal’s constant nagging, she would forget to eat and just stay in her office.

Khun’s friends also noticed how workaholic he had become. After his clinic hours he would stay in the hospital, offer to take someone’s shift or just hang around the hospital’s lounge. Taecyon, his buddy from the university asked him to go get a drink after their shift. Khun gladly agreed making the other man really concerned. After Victoria and Khun got married, he would rarely go for a drink. If ever he does, he would invite Taecyon to just come to their place. Now he wonders what’s happening to this guy.

They were already having second bottle of beer when Taec asked Khun.

“Khun, what’s happening with you? You’re acting very strange. Something wrong?”

“Taec, does it ever cross your mind, you and Yoona getting divorce?  Khun asked back.

“No. Hell no! I can’t imagine myself living without my wife. “Taecyon immediately quipped. Khun just nodded and stay silent after.

“Are you having problem with your wife?” Taec hesitantly asked.

Khun took a deep sigh before answering. “I left her Taec. I left Victoria.”

Taecyon almost spitted the beer he was drinking-too shocked to hear his friends confession.

“Why? You don’t love her anymore? Is she cheating on you? Or do you have someone new?” Taecyon blabbered.

“It’s not because of any third party and I still love her. Maybe till I die I will love her. It’s just that she love her work more than me. Her career comes first before our marriage.” Khun explained.

“Have you tried talking to her? Try to work things out.” His friend asked again.

“I did- we talked many times but she always ends up breaking her promise. I’m too tired of trying to understand her.” He answered.

“So what are your plans now? Where are you staying?” Taecyon enquired.

“I’m not sure Taec. I just want space and time to think. I miss my wife but I need this time off. I’m currently staying in Marriot Hotel.” Khun replied.

“Would you like to stay in our place? We have a spare bedroom?” Taec offered.

Khun smiled t him but gently refused. “It’s okay Taec. I wanna be alone for the time being. Besides, I know you and Yoona wants to have a child soon. You need no interruptions “

Taecyon let him be but reminded him that his house will always be open for him should he need a place to stay.

Two weeks since they separated, Victoria and Krystal were talking to another lawyer about their incoming trial. Krystal was busy checking some papers while Victoria stood up to get another folder on the other table. She was able to take a couple steps when all of a sudden she felt very dizzy and her world blacks out. Her friend rushed to her side, while the other lawyer called the paramedics.

When she opened her eyes, she was already in the ambulance. Krystal sitting next to her, crying. She just gave her a weak smile and squeezed her hands.

“Im okay, Krys. I’am” she assured her.

“Stop this non –sense Victoria Horvejkul. You suddenly fainted and you’re telling me you’re okay.  You need to see a doctor. Now, to make things worse I just can’t seem to get in touch with that husband of yours!” Krystal exclaimed.

“ No! Don’t call him Krys. Please. Don’t tell him anything.” Victoria pleaded.

“My goodness, Vicky! He is your husband. He needs to know.” Her friend disagreed.

“Not anymore, Krystal. I don’t have a husband. Khun, he already left me…” Victoria sobbed and Krystal can’t do anything but cry with her.