A Part of Them

Closing of Broken Hearts

 

 

“Is it just me or Minho happens to be here everyday?” Sooyoung mischievously exaggerates Minho’s unusual presence.

Contrary to Sooyoung, Taeyeon is sympathetic to the melancholic man who has been wandering the whole day at the coffee table near the glass window. “Try to be considerate, Sooyoung. The guy was dumped and he has nowhere to go except here.”

He has nowhere to go except here. That’s not even a newsflash. It happens all the time whenever he broke up with a girl or he dumped a girl. And that the only person he thinks who could understand him is her.” Sooyoung rolls her eyes at Yoona who is clueless of the on-going conversation. She’s not mad or being a sadistic person besides, she finds it funny how Minho often relies almost everything to Yoona.

Yoona slowly turns her head to Sooyoung after having a feeling that someone is gazing at her. “Why are you staring at me like that?” She pulled herself a bit with her head thrown back and puzzled of Sooyoung’s random act.

"So, what's gonna happen to Jonghyun?" Sooyoung shoves her face near Yoona's ear to capture her attention and made her voice sound deluding that she is just teasing her.

"What do you mean?" Yoona acted unconsciously of what Taeyeon and Sooyoung have been conversing of.

"You know what it is. Spill the beans." She crossed her arms and form a taunting wide smile.

"Nothing is going to happen to anyone and I know this ploy of yours, pretending that your making a joke out of your question." Yoona undivulgely responded.

"Seriously? How do you caught me every time I do that?" Sooyoung sheepishly grimaced which made Yoona laugh terrifically but was unexpectedly disrupted by a call. She is still in hilarity while grabbing then phone from her pocket but wore down in a split second as she saw the caller name from her phone. She excuses herself from the conversation to gain privacy and reluctantly answers the call.

"Yuri."

 

=========

 

Mrs. Kim is making her rounds at the office, checking and confirming papers for the upcoming general meeting at their company. On her way back to her office, she happens to pass by Jonghyun's office and is saddled with the anxious look in Jonghyun's face as she quietly pushes the door open.

"Son, is there something wrong?" Mrs. Kim broke the silence that might have wrapped the room for hours.

"Nothing. I'm fine." He said in a melancholic tone.

Mrs. Kim already sat on the empty seat adjacent of Jonghyun but it seems he will not talk unless she asks him.

"This is very fitful of you. Is it a girl?" She still tried to joke despite the worried aura of Jonghyun.

"Mom, please be a little blunt, at least."

"I'm just trying to light you up and you're very quiet. Is it about Yoona?"

"Hmm." He nodded.

"Is she dying?" She continued to tease.

"Mom!" He frowned.

"Okay, I'm gonna be serious now. What's wrong?"

"Minho was dumped by her girlfriend." He muttered.

"So? What about it?"

"Minho was dumped and Yoona is becoming his own 911 hotline again."  

"I know that. But what I'm asking is, what about it?" Mrs. Kim tries to push Jonghyun to realize something.

"Mom, she might start falling for him again and forget that I exist."

"That's too bad. It just means you have no faith on her."

"What do you mean?"

"It's simple, Jonghyun. Like what you told me before, Yoona is too nice to be a friend. Don't be surprised if she becomes empathetic towards Minho because in the end of the day, he still is her best friend. She doesn't see what we see because she has a different perception of being a friend. If we think that Minho is too dependent on her, for Yoona, it's just a simple deed."

"I know. I'm just....I'm just..."

"Scared?" Mrs. Kim continued his sentence knowing that he is being short spoken.

"Yes." He admitted. "I've never been this scared and I've never been that courageous when it comes to her. But then, a part of me is still holding me back."

"Maybe this is the right time to stop whatever that keeps you from doing what you want." Mrs. Kim and Jonghyun looked at each other but it instantly turned into a simple laughter.

Prior of Yoona, they never really had this kind of talk and Jonghyun was never as open as he is now towards his mom when it comes to girls. Yoona was an impact to the both of them, that's one thing she would not deny. For Mrs. Kim, she never thought that her son would still actually meet a decent girl despite being in numerous failed relationships and she never thought that aside from her, someone can bring betterment for her son. Well, that's probably Im Yoona's charm.

 

=========

 

Thinking he arrived late, Jonghyun looked rushed when he arrived at the cafe and surprised that Minho's presence would be the first one to welcome him.

"Hey." He firmly greeted him.

"Hey." Minho responded and watched him taking a sit next to him. Jonghyun crossed his legs and relaxed his one hand on his lap.

"What a surprise. I noticed you've been staying here for the past few days." He said, feeling kind of indecisive to talk to him.  The atmosphere between the two of them is not really that warm for the past few days which triggered both of them to be in some tension.

Minho, as Yoona's best friend, would always play that role of a wall separating boys and Yoona. Even if Jonghyun is a friend of his, he is not an exception to that.

"I'm the one who should be saying that. Waiting and being patient is not your thing." For a random person, it may sound like a daily reminder of two friends. But what Minho is trying to say is,"You're not supposed to be here."

"Well, you've been missing out a lot, Minho. Oh, right. Because you've been busy enough with your girlfriend to even have the time knowing what's going on with Yoona. And look at you now. You've ran your way onto her again to make her solve the problem you caused for yourself." He mumbled in such blunt tone while glaring at him with a tormenting smile.

Minho avoided to look at him and gripped the crotch of his jeans to control his temper. He is not a hundred percent sure if Jonghyun is just being a tease or he really is trying to offend him.

"Do you like her?" Out of words to say, he asked the thing he never thought that would come out of his mouth, visibly stoked with Jonghyun's scheme.

"Isn't it obvious?"

"Don't."

"So, you don't think I'm good enough for her?"

"That's not what I'm saying!"

"Jonghyun?" Both guys are suddenly put into calm state as Yoona called Jonghyun's attention who is unaware of the commotion between the two.

"Coming!" He smirked at Minho before fleeing.

I'm sorry, Minho. I'm just trying to win over what I think deserve.

Before Jonghyun could even follow Yoona, Sooyoung blocked his way from the gap of the cupboard leading to Yoona's room.

"And where do you think you're going?" Sooyoung raised a brow on him with her arms crossed.

"Yoona called me. Let me through."

"She called you. She didn't tell you to follow her. You're cheating, Jonghyun."

"What?" He questioned her with confusion written on his face.

"She has to make choices between you and that guy over the window." She points her lips at Minho. "And you need to earn points. The more points you gain, the more privilege you have."

"Oh." Jonghyun placed his hands over Sooyoung's shoulders and gently pushes her forward, making his way inside.

"You're disqualified." Sooyoung shrugged Jonghyun's hands off.

"For now, I'm gonna take this game of yours seriously." He took a deep breath before continuing. "We kissed."

"No way." Sooyoung froze on her spot as well as Taeyeon who overheard them while wrapping a take out for a customer.

"That makes me gain lots and lots of points which gives me a privilege to do what I want. It should also include a bonus but since I'm a nice person, I'm not gonna be abusive." He smiled widely at Sooyoung and tapped her head.

“Before I forget, don’t tell Yoona what I told you or both of us will be dead.” He teasingly threatened Sooyung and left her in shock of his unexpected confession.

 

=========

 

Yoona and Jonghyun left earlier, making Sooyoung and Taeyeon responsible of closing the cafe shop. They are have been talking about going to a movie house since a new drama film premiered on cinemas this week. Already prepared to spend time together, they noticed Minho's bike which is still parked in front of the cafe. Taeyeon immediately noticed Minho sitting on the gutter of the street near the cafe. They observed him for a while and noticed how occupied he is. They looked at each other, communicating with their eyes if they should approach him or not. Sooyoung cocked her head on Minho's direction and Taeyeon just nodded.

"Why are you still here?" Taeyeon disturbed Minho's silence with her soft voice and smiled at him. Taeyeon and Sooyoung sat on both Minho's side respectively. Sooyoung hugged her knees and Taeyeon did the same thing as well.

"I'm just wandering around." He lied.

"What a bad liar you are." Sooyoung to kindly light him up.

"You got me there." He made a small smile but it disappeared in just a few seconds. "Yoona and Jonghyun.....it's been a while, is it?"

"Yeah. They became closer since you're kind of.... distracted." Taeyeon attempted to make it sound unoppressive.

"We have no idea how they got closer knowing what kind of person Jonghyun is. You know what I mean." Sooyoung added. It is silent again after that initiation of a conversation, almost making Sooyoung want to pull her legs up, walk herself away from him and leave yet, the silence didn't last as much as how Sooyoung thought it would.

"I don't know what I should do." Minho suddenly uttered in a soft yet discomposed tone in his voice. "I don't even know how it all came out on me ."

"What is it?" Surprisingly, there is a part of Sooyoung that urged her to feel curiosity and need of knowing Minho's feelings and thoughts.

"These feelings just went under my skin and my subconscious mind kept on telling me, begging me to realize that this isn't what I want."

 

 

p.s. so finaly i updated!!! APPLAUSE!! honestly, i had a hard time to come up with a better plot for this while avoiding the story from becoming draggy. i also decided to expand the plot by developing taeyeon and sooyoung's character as well which will affect the 3 main characters . also, the CLIFFHANGERS!! if you noticed, there are two cliffhangers and these cliffhangers are my introduction to the twisted plot which you will find out on the following chapters.  I hope you enjoy this chapter and i'll try my best to update as soon as i can. please be patient with me. thank you :)  COMMENTS ARE WELCOMED