Formal

The Eternal Cycle

"The Eternal Cycle IV"

Changmin straightened his tie and brushed off his shoulders as he checked himself out in the mirror once more. His suit was pristine and the black pants only made his legs look longer. He and Yunho were headed to some fancy dinner that night, the contents of which he didn't really care about, but their manager had nagged for them to be on their best behavior. Must be something important then, he thought to himself, but then again, why should I care?

 

On the other hand, Yunho was taking the dinner quite seriously. He entered Changmin's changing room with a concerned look on his face, looking up at Changmin to make sure he was prepared and not going to cause any trouble.

 

"No hyung, I'm not going to cause any trouble."

 

Changmin's words startled Yunho, causing him to widen his eyes suddenly and stare back at him. "But I didn't even―"

 

"Eyes― your eyes," Changmin, seeing Yunho's still dazed expression, sighed and continued to explain, "Your eyes are like an open book. To me at least. We've known each other for so long, you should really know better." He punctuated the end of his sentence with a large eye-roll.

 

Realization slowly hit the older man, and Changmin watched as he nodded in acknowledgment, though with hesitation, as if something was on his mind. "Hey hyung, are you alright?" He was genuinely concerned now, maybe he had been too presumptuous. "Did I say something wrong?"

 

"No, no," Yunho's eyes snapped back to Changmin's face, even though he was clearly bothered, "I was just reminded of.. something else." He glanced away, but then glanced back quickly, remembering the dinner that they were supposed to head to in a few minutes. "Anyways, we should really leave. I came here because the manager was looking for you."

 

―•―•―•―•―•―•―•―•―•―

 

As they entered the high-end restaurant, two men dressed in suits opened the doors for them and bowed courteously; Changmin simply nodded his head back. Their manager wasted no time in ushering them into a large elevator while constantly checking his watch and stabbing the buttons on the elevator at the same time. Changmin chuckled inwardly to himself while watching this frantic behavior; if he didn't think he would get scolded, he would've actually laughed. After a few seconds, elevator dinged enthusiastically when they reached the next floor, cueing their manager to hustle them out again, only regaining composure when he saw the important figures who were already there. 

 

Now was Changmin's time to put on a mature face and greet everyone politely. He started to bow 90-degrees to all the other men dressed in suits, and then found his seat. Already bored, Changmin glanced around the room nonchalantly, trying to find something interesting to do or look at. Thankfully, the restaurant had installed televisions in each corner of the room. Though he found this almost rude, the volume was low enough so that it wouldn't be disruptive, but still heard―which was what he wanted. 

 

Gruesome, gruesome, gruesome, that was what Changmin thought of all the news stories that came up. All that the broadcasting companies ever wanted to do was show gruesome and devastating tragedies. But they couldn't trick him into fear. He continued to watch, or rather, listen, as he only glanced up every once in a while so that it wouldn't seem too obvious he didn't want to be there. One story caught his ear though, a plane crash, from northern India to Seoul, and it had occurred recently. Changmin's attention couldn't be grabbed for long though, because the food soon arrived and he started to devour away. But even in the midst of his rapid chewing and swallowing, he managed to catch some key terms. Many dead, help arriving, international popstar, Jaejoong―wait, Jaejoong?

 

Elapsing out of his facade of a mature, renowned musician, Changmin shook Yunho's arm frantically and whispered to him, asking him to pay attention to the televisions. Yunho, oblivious at first, didn't understand what the big deal was, and tried to calm Changmin back down, embarrassed for his behavior. Changmin had said he wouldn't cause any trouble, but he was taking it back now. "Just listen, to the damn, tv's," Changmin whispered through clenched teeth, cutting into Yunho's words when he saw the other's mouth open, "It's about Jaejoong." This immediately shut Yunho up and caused him to turn back to the table, the same way as before, though now Changmin could tell he had half of his attention directed elsewhere. More information about the crash was broadcasted, Jaejoong's name was mentioned multiple times, but Changmin kept watching Yunho's face. 

 

Really, he couldn't believe what had happened, but as Yunho finally registered the implications of what was said, his face turned cold and hard. Changmin felt apologetic as he almost visibly watched Yunho's mind float elsewhere, but he just couldn't resist―something like this was too important to just skip mentioning. Their members had gotten injured many times before, but unfortunately, this  might have been the worst yet.

 

Author's Note: Again, not much to say, themes and motifs are still being continued. Yes messages. SFPM.