Denial

The Eternal Cycle

 

“The Eternal Cycle VIII”

In the desert drove a dusty, once black, van, which had been rented from the airport after Junsu and Yoochun landed. One drove while the other glared at his phone, trying to search for directions or even get some sort of connection out in the middle of nowhere. They supposed they should have planned better, but what’s done was done and there was nothing they could do about it

“Tomorrow,” Yoochun stated a matter-of-factly as he continued driving with one hand on the steering wheel, no sense of rush whatsoever, “I plan that we’ll get there tomorrow at this rate.”

Containing his inner frustration, Junsu took a deep breath and tried to reply in as steady of a voice as he could manage, “We got on the first plane here, rushed from the plane to the rental place, and now we simply drive at a snail’s pace and decide that, oh no, we’ll just get there tomorrow? There’s no time for that!” He let go of his contained frustrated at the end, throwing his hands up, consequently losing his place on the map. 

Ashamed slightly, Yoochun looked to his side apologetically, but also with little idea what to say. He paused for a moment before deciding to appease Junsu for the moment: “I can try to drive faster, but I really don’t know if we’ll able to get there by today.”

“Now that’s better,” Junsu replied snappily, his eyes directed back on his phone, telling Yoochun updates on their whereabouts every now and then.

—•—•—•—•—•—•—•—•—•—

“But.. but,” Junsu stammered as he made his way around the rubble of the airplane crash once more. Yoochun simply stared blankly into space, contemplating the different scenarios that could have taken place. Perhaps the rescue team had already arrived and taken Jaejoong away, that idea seemed pretty plausible, but there were still dead bodies around, so wouldn’t have someone cleaned up? Maybe, or maybe not. As of now, he couldn’t make any substantial claims, and didn’t want to give Junsu any false hopes. He hoped that by masking what he thought, there would be a better outcome in the end—less disappointment and sorrow, less than the monumental amounts there would be already anyways.

Earnestly, he replied, “Don’t get your hopes up, and don’t be disappointed so soon. Let’s go back and wait for the news.”

Author’s Note: Still kinda unmotivated and such but getting back into the spirit while deciding what to do with the plot haha. Put a message here. SFPM.