Chapter 9

My Heart's Sonata

 

Shawn lowered his speed and grabbed a small bottle inside his pocket. As he got the bottle, he stopped and parked his car at the side of the highway. He opened the bottle and shook it upside down. Three circular white tablets fell to his hand. He immediately swallowed it. He closed his eyes as drops of sweat continued to fall from his head down to his neck. When he started to feel fine, he grabbed his phone and started to type. While typing, still, his entire body continued to produce few sweats. His fingers trembled. At this point his breathing was starting to normalize, but, at any point he felt that his heart will burst. He typed: ‘I hope that you enjoyed the dinner. Please, take care of yourself. I won’t be there if you faint again. And you don’t need to pay me. Simple thanks will do. This is Shawn/S.S.Lim bid awayJ’. After sending his message to Jade, he sighed and still intense heat burned inside his chest. He browsed his contacts and called Dr. Job.

 

 “He ----H---ello” Shawn said in a trembling voice.

 

“A---I’m…in --- pain… again” Shawn added.

 

Red lights continued to blink.

 

“Is his breathing okay?” A voice said.

 

“Yes. It is but his heart beat isn’t normal” another voice answered.

 

“Quick!! Bring him down where here.” Another voice said.  

 

“How’s his condition?” A familiar voice asked.

 

“He’s fine. But his heart beat isn’t normal..” the earlier voice answered.

 

Shawn opened his eyes and saw the face of Dr. Job. He again closed his eyes and heard nothing but the voices of panicking people.

 

Jade was still at the restaurant when she received Shawn’s message. She read it and remembered the scene when Shawn hugged her.  She paused… until…

 

“Friend!! Are you okay?” Bernadette asked as she wiped the whip cream on her lips.

 

“Ye --- Yes” Jade replied and started to eat again.

 

“So? How’s he?” Bernadette asked.

 

“He’s fine.” Jade blushed.

 

“Ayiee!! Friend, I think you like him! You’re blushing!” Bernadette replied.

 

“Friend!! I’m so happy for you! It’s my first time for me to see you like that!” Bernadette added.

 

 Jade just smiled and continued her food.

 

Shawn opened his eyes and saw a green ceiling.

 

“You’re awake!” Dr. Job said. Shawn slowly turned his head to him.

 

“Are you feeling well now?” Dr. Job continued. Shawn nodded.

 

“Have you done anything to worsen your condition again?” Dr. Job asked.

 

“Please, Don’t tell Dad.” Shawn replied with a weak voice.

 

“I know that you’ll gonna tell me that, but, please! Will you just be careful next time?” Dr. Job worried.

 

Shawn smiled and just nodded in reply.

 

Jade set her phone to alarm at 8am. She was lying next to Bernadette who was already sleeping at that time. After she set, she went to her music gallery and stared at the Faith Hill’s song, there you’ll be. Shawn’s performance flashed back. She pictured his long arms, his brown eyes, his perfect profile, the perfect movement of his thin and long fingers, the on-rhythm sway of his head and his warm and tight hug, a hug like her mom’s.

 

“You can leave later afternoon. Don’t worry I didn’t tell your dad.” Dr. Job informed Shawn.

 

“Thanks.”Shawn thanked in a low voice.

 

“Take this thrice every day. I increased your dosage after checking your tests. Please, don’t tire yourself again. Any physical and emotional stress will just worsen your heart’s condition…” Dr. Job said.

 

“You can still play, if it brings you comfort…” Dr. Job added. Shawn replied with a smile.

 

Jade’s phone alarmed. She reached for it to turn it off.

 

“Friend, I made you some fried eggs. I need to go now.” Bernadette told Jade as she grabbed her bag and went out from their room. Right away, Jade stood up and went to the bathroom to take a bath. After bathing, she went to the kitchen and ate Bernadette’s fried eggs. She left the house at 9am. Jade carried a huge paper bag where she placed the chicken head piece that she lost two days ago. At 9:52am, she reached the Enchanted Park.

 

“What took you so long? Where have you been for the last two days?” Jade’s boss asked.

 

“Haven’t you remembered? You told her not to come back until she found crispee?” the secretary answered and gave Jade a smile.

 

“I’m sorry, Sir.” Jade apologized.

 

“Sorry! Sorry! Anything new?” her boss angrily replied. Jade remained silent.

 

“WH--- WHY your just standing there?! GO AND GET BACK TO WORK!!” her boss added.

 

Jade immediately changed her clothes and wore again Crispee’s costume. She went around the amusement park as Crispee the chicken and noticed that nothing had changed. She passed at the souvenir shop and Bernadette waved her hand. Though Jade can’t hear what Bernadette was saying, she just read her lips, saying: ‘Hi! Crispee! I’m glad you’re back!’. Jade also waved at Bernadette and continued to walk. Still, many kids approached Crispee. Teenagers and family group took picture with her. It was almost 3pm when Jade returned to her post. Her stomach started to crumble. She removed her head piece and went to her boss’ office to get his permission if she could take a break.

 

“Sir, may I take a break for a while?” Jade asked.

 

“Why? Haven’t you taken your lunch break yet?” Her boss replied.

 

“I’m sorry, Sir. But --- I forgot…” Jade said.

 

“Sorry, sorry, sorry… What shall I expect? Here, your salary from the children’s party. I deducted some amount for not returning Crispee’s head on time.” her boss replied as he gave the small envelope.

 

“Thank you, Sir.” Jade thanked.

 

During her break, Jade went out to buy some snacks outside the amusement park. She didn’t forget to stop in a tea café to buy herself and her friend, Bernadette, two orders of milky tea.   

 

It was already mid-afternoon when Shawn decided to leave the hospital. He went inside his car and opened his radio. At this time, he listened to a local radio station. He again drove in full speed and recalled what Dr. Job told hours ago:

 

“Please, don’t tire yourself again. Any physical and emotional stress will just worsen your heart’s condition…You can still play, if it brings you comfort…” He maximized the volume of his radio. He made his first turn and lowered his speed. He continued driving until he saw a woman carrying a bag of goodies and drinks. It was Jade. He gazed at her and after a few seconds, he hardly stepped on the gas and drove again in full speed…