Chapter 8

My Heart's Sonata

 

Shawn gave Jade a tight and warm hug. His heart started to pound insanely. Jade on the other hand, startled and later felt the Shawn’s warm body and heart beat. For the longest time, this hug ended her longing, a hug of love and security that she only felt in the arms of her mother. Seconds passed and Shawn’s long arms that wrapped Jade’s body started to loosen… Shawn let go of Jade and started to speak,

 

“I guess it’s getting late. I should take you home.”

 

Jade just given him an innocent stare.

 

Shawn grabbed her hands. He didn’t let go of it until they reached his black sports car.

 

“I’m sorry, but I’ll just ride a bus. My place is just near anyway. Just a ride away.” Jade told Shawn.

 

“Ok. If that’s what you want. See you soon.” Shawn told Jade.

 

Jade started to walk while Shawn watched her until she vanished from his sight. He went inside his car and started. At this time, he didn’t listen to any classical piano music. He drove in full speed until he reached the car park exit. Not too far from the ICC car park, he again saw Jade. She sat at the bus stop and waited for a bus. Shawn stopped and stared at Jade. In no time, a bus arrived. Jade went inside the bus and Shawn followed the bus. Shawn drove same speed with the bus. He simultaneously gave Jade a gaze while looking at the road. Jade leaned her head on the bus’ window and fell asleep.  Still, Shawn continuously gazed at her until the first stop. The bus braked and stopped. Jade woke up and went out of the bus. Shawn parked his car at a place where he could see Jade. He again watched her until she vanished in his sight.

 

It was past 8pm when Jade reached their apartment. Bernadette wasn’t home yet at that time. Jade opened her purse and searched for the doors key. In less than a second, she was able to find it. She opened the door and went straight to the kitchen to drink a glass of water. Before she finished drinking, somebody knocked. She put down the glass of water at the dining table and immediately opened the door. A man in his 30’s dressed smartly appeared right in front of her eyes.

 

“Are you Ms. Jade Pecson?” The man asked.

 

“Yes. I am. May I help you?” Jade asked back.

 

“I guess this belongs to you.” The man handed Jade a white envelope with her name on it.  

 

The man walked right away and left Jade.

 

“W --- Wait ---“  Jade tried to call but the man didn’t turn his back.

 

Jade just decided to close her door and sit on a chair located in their dining room. She opened the envelop and saw a reservation good for only one person at a fine dining restaurant not too far from their apartment. As she returned the ticket back to the envelope, she saw a piece of paper. She grabbed it and read it. ‘I made a reservation not too far from your place. Eat everything that you like and drink lots of water I won’t be around if you faint this time. I’m sorry again for not taking you in a dinner. S.S.Lim PS: You don’t need to pay me. A simple thanks will do J’

 

“Hey, you’re here? Where’s Romeo?” Bernadette joked.

 

“Romeo?” Jade asked as she returned Shawn’s note back to the envelope.

 

“Your Romeo! Friend, he’s all yours…” Bernadette said.

 

“I think I already see the man of my dreams! He got my number and told me to wait for his call!!” Bernadette giggled.

 

“Really?” Jade replied.

 

Jade placed the white envelop on the table and went to the kitchen to cook some instant noodles. Bernadette sat on Jade’s chair and saw the envelope.

 

“Friend, what’s this?” Bernadette opened the envelope and saw Shawn’s letter as well as the ticket reservation.

 

 “Hey, what are you doing?” Bernadette asked Jade as she stood up and went to Jade.

 

“I’m cooking some food to eat.” Jade answered.

 

“Aren’t you going in here? It takes a lot of cash just to make a reservation at this place.” Bernadette said.

 

“If you’re just worried about me, Don’t worry, I already took my dinner but I haven’t taken my dessert yet…. A slice of cake from this restaurant will be enough to meet my sugar necessity for this day” Bernadette added.

 

“Alright. Let’s go!” Jade replied.

 

After Jade vanished in Shawn’s sight, he right away stepped on his gas and drove full speed. He his CD player and pressed the play button. A collection of piano music registered in the whole scene. As Shawn drove, the thought of Jade continued to go around his mind, his warm hug to her, her natural scent, her simple looks and her unique personality totally made him to fall to her. His heart pounded but this time it pounded differently. He felt that something was burning inside him making him to lose his breath. Drops of sweat started to fall from his head. He breathed hardly to catch some air. He opened his window but still nothing had improved. That feeling started to occur again…